In Calc, can the horizontal and vertical scroll sections be enlarged?

In Calc, can the horizontal and vertical scroll sections be enlarged?

Kay Schenk-2
Hello all,

I am using AOO 4.1.7 on Linux-64. A have a spreadsheet with multiple
sheets. Once I could easily navigate from one to the next but now, with
the VERY SMALL bottom scroll area, this is nearly impossible. The bottom
area for showing the sheets seems to be bounded in height by the height
of the horizontal scroll bar eight. I could have sworn that using the
Zoom facility also enlarged this bottom area in the past, but this is
NOT the case now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

__________
Kay

Re: In Calc, can the horizontal and vertical scroll sections be enlarged?

Brian Barker-2
At 12:08 11/06/2020 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
>I am using AOO 4.1.7 on Linux-64. A have a spreadsheet with multiple
>sheets. Once I could easily navigate from one to the next but now,
>with the VERY SMALL bottom scroll area, this is nearly impossible.
>The bottom area for showing the sheets seems to be bounded in height
>by the height of the horizontal scroll bar eight. I could have sworn
>that using the Zoom facility also enlarged this bottom area in the
>past, but this is NOT the case now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't see how to change this, but it may be helpful to know that
Ctrl+PageDown moves to the next sheet (and so on) - and Ctrl+PageUp
the other way. If your version of Linux interferes with this, you may
be able to set alternative keyboard shortcuts.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: In Calc, can the horizontal and vertical scroll sections be enlarged?

Kay Schenk-2
Thanks for the tip, and my apologizes for the bad syntax of my first
message.

--
"Don't let anyone dull your sparkle."
__________

On 6/11/20 1:00 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 12:08 11/06/2020 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> I am using AOO 4.1.7 on Linux-64. A have a spreadsheet with multiple
>> sheets. Once I could easily navigate from one to the next but now,
>> with the VERY SMALL bottom scroll area, this is nearly impossible.
>> The bottom area for showing the sheets seems to be bounded in height
>> by the height of the horizontal scroll bar eight. I could have sworn
>> that using the Zoom facility also enlarged this bottom area in the
>> past, but this is NOT the case now. Any help would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>
> I don't see how to change this, but it may be helpful to know that
> Ctrl+PageDown moves to the next sheet (and so on) - and Ctrl+PageUp
> the other way. If your version of Linux interferes with this, you may
> be able to set alternative keyboard shortcuts.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Re: In Calc, can the horizontal and vertical scroll sections be enlarged?

Peter Kovacs-4
Hi Kay,

I did not have any Issues with very small tabs size on Linux.

Can you specify the Distribution, Windowmanager (KDE, GNome, mate etc)
and if you use any themes?

I know that we have Issues with themes. So maybe this belongs in this
topic too?

Or maybe Do you have a 4K Monitor?

All the Best

Peter

Am 11.06.20 um 23:21 schrieb Kay Schenk:

> Thanks for the tip, and my apologizes for the bad syntax of my first
> message.
>
> --
> "Don't let anyone dull your sparkle."
> __________
> Kay
>

> On 6/11/20 1:00 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
>> At 12:08 11/06/2020 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>> I am using AOO 4.1.7 on Linux-64. A have a spreadsheet with multiple
>>> sheets. Once I could easily navigate from one to the next but now,
>>> with the VERY SMALL bottom scroll area, this is nearly impossible.
>>> The bottom area for showing the sheets seems to be bounded in height
>>> by the height of the horizontal scroll bar eight. I could have sworn
>>> that using the Zoom facility also enlarged this bottom area in the
>>> past, but this is NOT the case now. Any help would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>
>> I don't see how to change this, but it may be helpful to know that
>> Ctrl+PageDown moves to the next sheet (and so on) - and Ctrl+PageUp
>> the other way. If your version of Linux interferes with this, you may
>> be able to set alternative keyboard shortcuts.
>>
>> I trust this helps.
>>
>> Brian Barker

Re: In Calc, can the horizontal and vertical scroll sections be enlarged?

Girvin Herr-2
Slackware Linux 14.2 (32-bit k4.4) and xfce4.

I believe this "problem" has been brought up recently before. IIRC That
thread resolved the problem to the height of the horizontal scroll bar
on the bottom right, which is in the same horizontal field of the window
as the sheet tabs and as such, drives the height of the tabs. This
cannot be changed in AOO as it stands. The field height may be changed
by selecting another window style in the desktop configuration. I did
some experimenting with it and found a window style that presented a
higher (wider) scroll bar and which did present larger tabs and font. I
wasn't satisfied with other attributes of that style, so I selected
another style and now I can't remember how I got the higher-tab style to
window styles and see if there is one that works better for you.

Girvin

On 6/11/20 3:14 PM, Peter Kovacs wrote:

> Hi Kay,
>
> I did not have any Issues with very small tabs size on Linux.
>
> Can you specify the Distribution, Windowmanager (KDE, GNome, mate etc)
> and if you use any themes?
>
> I know that we have Issues with themes. So maybe this belongs in this
> topic too?
>
> Or maybe Do you have a 4K Monitor?
>

> All the Best
>
> Peter
>
> Am 11.06.20 um 23:21 schrieb Kay Schenk:
>> Thanks for the tip, and my apologizes for the bad syntax of my first
>> message.
>>
>> --
>> "Don't let anyone dull your sparkle."
>> __________
>> Kay

>>> I don't see how to change this, but it may be helpful to know that
>>> Ctrl+PageDown moves to the next sheet (and so on) - and Ctrl+PageUp
>>> the other way. If your version of Linux interferes with this, you
>>> may be able to set alternative keyboard shortcuts.
>>>
>>> I trust this helps.
>>>
>>> Brian Barker

Re: In Calc, can the horizontal and vertical scroll sections be enlarged?

Girvin Herr-2

As an update, I just did some experimenting and I changed my xfce4 desktop window settings under "Applications" -> "Settings" -> "Settings Manager" -> "Appearance" -> "Style" to "xfce-4.4". IMHO, that style gives me larger Calc tabs and still is a pleasant window frame. There are many more styles there that will enlarge the tabs. Some do not. I do recommend, however, to stay away from "Oxygen GTK" which crashed Kplayer when I tried it.

As I said, I use xfce4, so other desktops, such as kde, YMMV.

In case it may help, here is a screenshot of the style settings available in xfce4:

HTH.

Girvin

On 6/11/20 4:41 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:
Slackware Linux 14.2 (32-bit k4.4) and xfce4.

I believe this "problem" has been brought up recently before. IIRC That thread resolved the problem to the height of the horizontal scroll bar on the bottom right, which is in the same horizontal field of the window as the sheet tabs and as such, drives the height of the tabs. This cannot be changed in AOO as it stands. The field height may be changed by selecting another window style in the desktop configuration. I did some experimenting with it and found a window style that presented a higher (wider) scroll bar and which did present larger tabs and font. I wasn't satisfied with other attributes of that style, so I selected another style and now I can't remember how I got the higher-tab style to go back to. So, the short answer is to change desktop window manager window styles and see if there is one that works better for you.

[...]

Thanks to all for telling me about potential problems with my "theme". I am using CentOS7, starting with startx in "gnome-classic" which I loved for CentOS 6 but perhaps it doesn't translate well to CentOS7. I have NOT tried changing my theme from "Adwaita", the default. I had researched changing my theme quite some time ago but "stuff happened". Maybe time to get back to my research on this. I will definitely investigate a new theme and hope a new one will solve this problem, and others I have been experiencing. I will post any updates here.

Thanks again for the hint.

--

On 6/11/20 5:18 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:

[...]

Peter Kovacs-3

Thanks Kay for the Feedback.

The implementation of the gtk code needs love. I am not sure if it is worth to invest to much research for a new gtk theme, in order to work areound the rubbish in OpenOffice.

It is on my list of things that I want to get fixed. I hope I can start on this soon. If you do not mind a bug report would be nice. And if you could add the bug to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENOFFICE-76 would be super cool.

It would help me to remeber, to check the implementation on tabs in calc.

All the best

Peter