Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Margherita Pagni
I have used the official Open Office site, and the appropriate “download for Mac=>7”. (Mine is 10.13.3).

But once downloaded in my apps, when I click to open a widow tells me there is no file that can do so, and invites me to try the Apple store, which also has no results

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Howard Blum
It sounds to me like you may have downloaded the app but didn't run the
installer in the DMG file.

On Feb 6, 2018 8:37 AM, "Margherita Pagni" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have used the official Open Office site, and the appropriate “download
> for Mac=>7”. (Mine is 10.13.3).
>
> But once downloaded in my apps, when I click to open a widow tells me
> there is no file that can do so, and invites me to try the Apple store,
> which also has no results

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Margherita Pagni
OK thanks, but no "run" popped up, should it not happen automatically once
the download is complete?

Margherita Pagni

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Margherita Pagni
FYI, the second I click on download, the Mac window opens offering as the
only option to Save All Files (or just Icon) and the choice it gives me is
where.  Choosing Apps or Download made no difference as to being able to
run or open the program

Margherita Pagni

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Howard Blum
It only opens automatically if while it is downloading you go to the lower
left corner of the browser and from the drop-down menu you select the
option to open after download is complete.

Margherita Pagni

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Howard Blum
Did you double click on the DMG file after you downloaded it? That's how
you install the software.

On Feb 6, 2018 9:05 AM, "Margherita Pagni" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> FYI, the second I click on download, the Mac window opens offering as the
> only option to Save All Files (or just Icon) and the choice it gives me is
> where.  Choosing Apps or Download made no difference as to being able to
> run or open the program
>
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 8:39 AM, Howard Blum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It sounds to me like you may have downloaded the app but didn't run the
> > installer in the DMG file.
> >
> > On Feb 6, 2018 8:37 AM, "Margherita Pagni" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I have used the official Open Office site, and the appropriate
> “download
> > > for Mac=>7”. (Mine is 10.13.3).
> > >
> > > But once downloaded in my apps, when I click to open a widow tells me
> > > there is no file that can do so, and invites me to try the Apple store,
> > > which also has no results

> Margherita Pagni

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Dave Fisher
Hi -

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 9:14 AM, Howard Blum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Did you double click on the DMG file after you downloaded it? That's how
> you install the software.

Once the DMG is open you drag the OpenOffice icon onto the Applications folder.

Then double click on the Applications folder.

In the Applications folder find the OpenOffice application and control-click on it to show a pop-up menu.

You can then open it up bypassing “gatekeeper” checks.

Regards,
Dave

> On Feb 6, 2018 9:05 AM, "Margherita Pagni" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> FYI, the second I click on download, the Mac window opens offering as the
>> only option to Save All Files (or just Icon) and the choice it gives me is
>> where.  Choosing Apps or Download made no difference as to being able to
>> run or open the program
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 8:39 AM, Howard Blum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It sounds to me like you may have downloaded the app but didn't run the
>>> installer in the DMG file.

>> “download

>> --
>> Margherita Pagni

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Howard Blum
You may run into a pop-up message that says you are trying to open an
application from an unknown developer. If that happens do the following:
1- close the security message alert
2-go to system preferences and click on security icon
3-in the lower part of the security window it will give you the option of
opening the file.
4-click on open anyway
5-Your system should ask you for your administrative password
6-click on open and you're good to go.

--
Howard Blum
Pro Mobile Notary
415-898-4130
http://pro-mobile-notary.com

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Dave Fisher
Howard,

That is not correct for macOS Sierra and High Sierra. The method I describe overrides for that application only while the method you describe opens up the Mac for other software.

Regards,
Dave

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 9:42 AM, Howard Blum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You may run into a pop-up message that says you are trying to open an
> application from an unknown developer. If that happens do the following:
> 1- close the security message alert
> 2-go to system preferences and click on security icon
> 3-in the lower part of the security window it will give you the option of
> opening the file.
> 4-click on open anyway
> 5-Your system should ask you for your administrative password
> 6-click on open and you're good to go.
>
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 9:24 AM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 9:14 AM, Howard Blum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you double click on the DMG file after you downloaded it? That's how
>>> you install the software.
>>
>> Once the DMG is open you drag the OpenOffice icon onto the Applications
>> folder.
>>
>> Then double click on the Applications folder.
>>
>> In the Applications folder find the OpenOffice application and
>> control-click on it to show a pop-up menu.
>>
>> You can then open it up bypassing “gatekeeper” checks.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave

>> the
>> is

>> store,

> --
> Howard Blum
> Pro Mobile Notary
> PO Box 834
> Novato, CA 94948
> 415-898-4130
> http://pro-mobile-notary.com

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Howard Blum
Dave, I am using High Sierra 10.13.3 and that is the precise procedure I
used to install it on my mid-year 2013 MacBook Air laptop.

On Feb 6, 2018 10:00 AM, "Dave Fisher" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Howard,
>
> That is not correct for macOS Sierra and High Sierra. The method I
> describe overrides for that application only while the method you describe
> opens up the Mac for other software.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> > On Feb 6, 2018, at 9:42 AM, Howard Blum <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > You may run into a pop-up message that says you are trying to open an
> > application from an unknown developer. If that happens do the following:
> > 1- close the security message alert
> > 2-go to system preferences and click on security icon
> > 3-in the lower part of the security window it will give you the option of
> > opening the file.
> > 4-click on open anyway
> > 5-Your system should ask you for your administrative password
> > 6-click on open and you're good to go.
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 9:24 AM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi -

> how
> >>
> >> Once the DMG is open you drag the OpenOffice icon onto the Applications
> >> folder.
> >>
> >> Then double click on the Applications folder.
> >>
> >> In the Applications folder find the OpenOffice application and
> >> control-click on it to show a pop-up menu.
> >>
> >> You can then open it up bypassing “gatekeeper” checks.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave

> >> the
> me
> >> is

> the

> [hidden email]>

> me
> >> store,

> > --
> > Howard Blum
> > Pro Mobile Notary
> > PO Box 834
> > Novato, CA 94948
> > 415-898-4130
> > http://pro-mobile-notary.com

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Larry Gusaas-4
  Hi Dave,
The "click on open anyway" option Howard describes only appears in the security window after
you try to open an app from an unidentified developer. Otherwise it is not present.

It is much quicker to right click on the app then click on open.

Larry

On 2018-02-06, 12:00 PM Dave Fisher wrote concerning "Re: Inability to open Open Office to my
Mac once downloaded":

> Howard,
>
> That is not correct for macOS Sierra and High Sierra. The method I describe overrides for that application only while the method you describe opens up the Mac for other software.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 9:42 AM, Howard Blum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You may run into a pop-up message that says you are trying to open an
>> application from an unknown developer. If that happens do the following:
>> 1- close the security message alert
>> 2-go to system preferences and click on security icon
>> 3-in the lower part of the security window it will give you the option of
>> opening the file.
>> 4-click on open anyway
>> 5-Your system should ask you for your administrative password
>> 6-click on open and you're good to go.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Margherita Pagni
thanks, I did not see at all that option on the screen but I'll try again
(time 5).  I really appreciate yr help!

Margherita Pagni

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Margherita Pagni
no DMG file ever appeared which I clicked download.  What I got instead is
this file name:

Apache 00 4.1.5.  Mac OS x86-64 install_en_US.

Margherita Pagni

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Margherita Pagni
thank you, you are a gem!  I'll try again.

Margherita Pagni

On 2018-02-06, 2:03 PM Margherita Pagni wrote concerning "Re: Inability to open Open Office to
my Mac once downloaded":

> no DMG file ever appeared which I clicked download.  What I got instead is
> this file name:
>
> Apache 00 4.1.5.  Mac OS x86-64 install_en_US.

That is a .dmg file. You have "show file extensions" turned off on your Mac.

To enable showing file extensions:

    Open Finder
    On Menu Bar click on Finder
    Click on Preferences
    Click on Advanced
    Click on "Show all file extensions"

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Margherita Pagni
I have already run into a problem.

I am using CHrome as my browser BTW.

When, after clicking on downloading, I click on the browser  3 vertical
dots symbol(which is top R of page facing the computer), it gives me a
bunch of options in the drop down menu, but not to run programs after
download.  I am not sure what you mean by lower left of browser.  The lower
part of that menu includes Setting and Help.  There is nothing in the
Downloads item that refers to the issue.

I apologize and appreciate yr patience, but where do I find the option you
mentioned?

Margherita Pagni

Re: Inability to open Open Office to my Mac once downloaded

Margherita Pagni
thank you, I finally succeeded.

Margherita Pagni

--