Incomplete/Incorrect Template Name is Shown via Use of Splash Screen

Incomplete/Incorrect Template Name is Shown via Use of Splash Screen

Vince@Gmail
AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496
2017-12-11 17:25

WIN10-64 desktop

I went through a process to convert an existing .ods to a .ots . I used
File | Templates | Save, after removing the various inputted numerical
data from a previous year's computation. Now, however, I believe that an
incomplete/incorrect is shown via the Splash Screen and/or via File |
Templates | Template Management.

When clicking on "Te_m_plates..." at the logo/splash screen, the
Templates and Documents dialogue screen is displayed.  I then click on
_T_emplates and then I select My Templates to get a listing within the
Title pane area. Within the listing is shown: IRS Income Tax Template;
that is an incorrect template name/filename.  I think it should be
listed as: IRS Income Tax CalculationsTEMPLATE (no space between
Calculations and TEMPLATE).

The complete Windows filename is:  IRS Income Tax
CalculationsTEMPLATE.ots, which is what I Saved As into my
/AppData/Roaming/OpenOffice/4/user/template/   folder after removing
numerical data from a spreadsheet named: IRS Income Tax.ods.

I get the same incorrect template name when using File | Templates |
Template Management in the Templates pane, whereas I get the correct
filename shown within the Documents pane.

What am I not doing correctly? I have shut down AOO and restarted AOO
with the same problem. I have rebooted my PC and opened AOO, also with
the same problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Regards,

VinceB.

Re: Incomplete/Incorrect Template Name is Shown via Use of Splash Screen

Brian Barker-2
At 16:13 27/05/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:

>I went through a process to convert an existing .ods to a .ots . I
>used File | Templates | Save, ...
>Now, however, I believe that an incomplete/incorrect is shown via
>the Splash Screen and/or via File | Templates | Template Management.
>
>When clicking on "Te_m_plates..." at the logo/splash screen, the
>Templates and Documents dialogue screen is displayed. I then click
>on _T_emplates and then I select My Templates to get a listing
>within the Title pane area. Within the listing is shown: IRS Income
>Tax Template; that is an incorrect template name/filename. I think
>it should be listed as: IRS Income Tax CalculationsTEMPLATE (no
>space between Calculations and TEMPLATE).
>
>The complete Windows filename is: IRS Income Tax
>CalculationsTEMPLATE.ots, which is what I Saved As into my
>/AppData/Roaming/OpenOffice/4/user/template/ folder after removing
>numerical data from a spreadsheet named: IRS Income Tax.ods.
>
>I get the same incorrect template name when using File | Templates |
>Template Management in the Templates pane, whereas I get the correct
>filename shown within the Documents pane.
>
>What am I not doing correctly? I have shut down AOO and restarted
>AOO with the same problem. I have rebooted my PC and opened AOO,
>also with the same problem.

I think you are perhaps contradicting yourself here. You say you
saved the template in My Templates using File | Templates > | Save...
. But then you say that you used Save As... (presumably File | Save
As...) to save a document file (as a template) to a specific folder -
the "template" folder. These are two different things, and I suspect
that confusion between the two is causing your problem.

In general it is good practice to use the user interface provided and
not to try to take shortcuts that you think or hope will produce the
same effect. So I suggest that you should use File | Templates > |
Save... and that you will see no problem that way. OpenOffice is
being cleverer that you give it credit for here, such that you can
give templates names which are not possible file names in the Windows
file system. Take, for example, a template name containing a question
mark: you can have this, but OpenOffice needs to use an alternative
file name where it saves the template - and does. I suspect that you
have been saving and deleting templates and files and confusing
OpenOffice and possibly also yourself. I'm guessing that the "wrong"
name you see is one your somehow previously ctreated.

Recommendation:
Close File Explorer and don't meddle in %AppData% unless you really have to.
Save, organise, and delete templates using the File | Templates interface.
Delete any wrongly named template there and save it anew with your
preferred name.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Incomplete/Incorrect Template Name is Shown via Use of Splash Screen

Vince@Gmail

Thanks Brian.

On 5/27/2018 6:53 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 16:13 27/05/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>> I went through a process to convert an existing .ods to a .ots . I
>> used File | Templates | Save, ...
>> Now, however, I believe that an incomplete/incorrect is shown via the
>> Splash Screen and/or via File | Templates | Template Management.
>>
>> When clicking on "Te_m_plates..." at the logo/splash screen, the
>> Templates and Documents dialogue screen is displayed. I then click on
>> _T_emplates and then I select My Templates to get a listing within
>> the Title pane area. Within the listing is shown: IRS Income Tax
>> Template; that is an incorrect template name/filename. I think it
>> should be listed as: IRS Income Tax CalculationsTEMPLATE (no space
>> between Calculations and TEMPLATE).
>>
>> The complete Windows filename is: IRS Income Tax
>> CalculationsTEMPLATE.ots, which is what I Saved As into my
>> /AppData/Roaming/OpenOffice/4/user/template/ folder after removing
>> numerical data from a spreadsheet named: IRS Income Tax.ods.
>>
>> I get the same incorrect template name when using File | Templates |
>> Template Management in the Templates pane, whereas I get the correct
>> filename shown within the Documents pane.
>>
>> What am I not doing correctly? I have shut down AOO and restarted AOO
>> with the same problem. I have rebooted my PC and opened AOO, also
>> with the same problem.
>
> I think you are perhaps contradicting yourself here. You say you saved
> the template in My Templates using File | Templates > | Save... . But
> then you say that you used Save As... (presumably File | Save As...)
> to save a document file (as a template) to a specific folder - the
> "template" folder. These are two different things, and I suspect that
> confusion between the two is causing your problem.

No, I did not use File | Save As.  Perhaps I have misspoken, made a typo
or experienced an unwarranted PC auto fill.   I used File | Templates> |
Save ... while having the revised (blank numerical data) file opened; to
place the new template into AOO's template folder, (%AppData%). I chose
to name the newly created template: IRS Income Tax CalculationsTEMPLATE
(no space between Calculations and TEMPLATE).

> In general it is good practice to use the user interface provided and
> not to try to take shortcuts that you think or hope will produce the
> same effect. So I suggest that you should use File | Templates > |
> Save... and that you will see no problem that way. OpenOffice is being
> cleverer that you give it credit for here, such that you can give
> templates names which are not possible file names in the Windows file
> system. Take, for example, a template name containing a question mark:
> you can have this, but OpenOffice needs to use an alternative file
> name where it saves the template - and does. I suspect that you have
> been saving and deleting templates and files and confusing OpenOffice
> and possibly also yourself. I'm guessing that the "wrong" name you see
> is one your somehow previously ctreated.

I am unclear as to how I managed to make AOO confused about the template
name.  In any case, looking forward, I shall make an effort to think of
the %AppData% folder as an Authorized Personnel Only area; perhaps go
there when I need to view template names and/or date of
creation/modified, etc. Maybe also when I have downloaded a template
that then needs to be imported there.

At 10:50 28/05/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>Thanks Brian.

No probs!

>No, I did not use File | Save As. I used File | Templates> | Save
>... while having the revised (blank numerical data) file opened; to
>place the new template into AOO's template folder, (%AppData%).

Good. But again: don't worry about where OpenOffice saves these!

>I am unclear as to how I managed to make AOO confused about the template name.

As am I, of course.

>In any case, looking forward, I shall make an effort to think of the
>%AppData% folder as an Authorized Personnel Only area; ...

Exactly so.

>... perhaps go there when I need to view template names and/or date
>of creation/modified, etc.

No: you can see all this at File | New > | Templates and Documents
(or via the Templates... button in the Start Screen). Click on the
required template to see its properties.

>Maybe also when I have downloaded a template that then needs to be
>imported there.

Again, no! Go to File | Templates > | Organise..., select or open My
Templates, and go to Commands > | Import Template... .

Brian Barker

Re: Incomplete/Incorrect Template Name is Shown via Use of Splash Screen

jonathon-3
On 05/28/2018 02:50 PM, Vince wrote:
> No, I did not use File | Save As.  Perhaps I have misspoken, made a typo
> or experienced an unwarranted PC auto fill.   I used File | Templates> |
> Save ... while having the revised (blank numerical data) file opened; to
> place the new template into AOO's template folder, (%AppData%). I chose
> to name the newly created template: IRS Income Tax CalculationsTEMPLATE
> (no space between Calculations and TEMPLATE).

What name is in the ODT file?

jonathon

Re: Incomplete/Incorrect Template Name is Shown via Use of Splash Screen

Maurice Howe-2
To Toki and others --
Most computer applications abhor blanks in filenames.  Instead,
UseCapOr-Dashes-Or_Underscores_Or%Special$Characters.