Incubator for vba macros

Noel Power-2
  Hi All,

I've contacted Louis and he's reviewed my proposal for a new incubator
project. So now I'm asking you, the community to have a look, voice your
opinion and help get this off the ground. For a long time now its been
recognised that lack of interoperability with vba macros can be a major
stumbling block to OpenOffice  adoption. With that in mind at go-oo.org
we've been experimenting a bit with vba interoperability, so far we've
made some strides in making OOo support Excel macros. We feel it's time
now to expose this work to the greater OOo community and get more people
involved about this. I believe this is a great opportunity to create
some new excitement around OOo and really improve the interoperability
of the product.

some more info

o blog
http://noelpower.blogs.ie/2005/12/09/proposed-incubator-project-for-vba-interop/
o wiki page http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/VBA

please give your support :-) ( and votes )

Thnx,
Noel

Project Title
=============
VBA Interop

Mission Statement
=================
Promote adoption of OpenOffice by providing support for users who wish to
execute VBA ( Initially Excel ) macros in OpenOffice. Build a community of
developers to maintain & improve VBA
interoperability

Rationale
=========
One of the biggest barriers to OpenOffice adoption is lack of macro
interoperability. In the enterprise space generally the most mission
critical
macros exist in Excel spreadsheets. To eliminate or lower this barrier
clearly
will ease adoption of OpenOffice. Some initial and promising work has been
started in go-oo.org ( http://go-oo.org ), we wish to make this work more
freely available.

Project Goals
===============

* Setup an Incubator project.
* Build on the initial work started at go-oo.org, increase the converage of
* the
api.
* Analyse and prioritise common api usage and patterns to determine what
* objects/api to concentrate on.
* Help new developers contribute by extending the existing work by providing
* support, documentation etc.
* Build up a library of test documuments to get 100% imported.
* Contribute to existing projects ( calc-core, ms-filters, oo-basic
runtime )
* to facilitate common key core objective of better interoperability.

Re: Incubator for vba macros

Bugzilla from davidf@sjsoft.com
Noel Power wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
> I've contacted Louis and he's reviewed my proposal for a new incubator
> project. So now I'm asking you, the community to have a look, voice
> your opinion and help get this off the ground. For a long time now its
> been recognised that lack of interoperability with vba macros can be a
> major stumbling block to OpenOffice  adoption. With that in mind at
> go-oo.org we've been experimenting a bit with vba interoperability, so
> far we've made some strides in making OOo support Excel macros. We
> feel it's time now to expose this work to the greater OOo community
> and get more people involved about this. I believe this is a great
> opportunity to create some new excitement around OOo and really
> improve the interoperability of the product.
>
> some more info
>
> o blog
> http://noelpower.blogs.ie/2005/12/09/proposed-incubator-project-for-vba-interop/
>
> o wiki page http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/VBA
>

> please give your support :-) ( and votes )

A very enthusiastic +1 from me

David

Re: Incubator for vba macros

Andrew Pitonyak
Noel Power wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
> I've contacted Louis and he's reviewed my proposal for a new incubator
> project. So now I'm asking you, the community to have a look, voice
> your opinion and help get this off the ground. For a long time now its
> been recognised that lack of interoperability with vba macros can be a
> major stumbling block to OpenOffice  adoption. With that in mind at
> go-oo.org we've been experimenting a bit with vba interoperability, so
> far we've made some strides in making OOo support Excel macros. We
> feel it's time now to expose this work to the greater OOo community
> and get more people involved about this. I believe this is a great
> opportunity to create some new excitement around OOo and really
> improve the interoperability of the product.
>
> some more info
>
> o blog
> http://noelpower.blogs.ie/2005/12/09/proposed-incubator-project-for-vba-interop/
>
> o wiki page http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/VBA
>

> please give your support :-) ( and votes )
>
> Thnx,
> Noel

Very nice indeed!

--