Insert Special Character Function:

Martin Rosenfeld
Hi,

Does Apache Open Office have a function to allow insertion into text of
a special character, even from another font? For example, what if I want
an em dash or a euro symbol, characters for which there is no keyboard
method of selecting?

I am using AOO in OS/2, but the question should still be valid.

Martin Rosenfeld

Re: Insert Special Character Function:

Matthias Seidel
Hi,

The dialog should be under "Insert / Special Character..."

Kind regards, Matthias Seidel

Am 19.04.2017 um 21:48 schrieb Martin Rosenfeld:

> Hi,
>
> Does Apache Open Office have a function to allow insertion into text
> of a special character, even from another font? For example, what if I
> want an em dash or a euro symbol, characters for which there is no
> keyboard method of selecting?
>
> I am using AOO in OS/2, but the question should still be valid.
>
> Martin Rosenfeld

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Insert Special Character Function:

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:48:07 -0700
Martin Rosenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does Apache Open Office have a function to allow insertion into text of
> a special character, even from another font? For example, what if I want
> an em dash or a euro symbol, characters for which there is no keyboard
> method of selecting?
>
> I am using AOO in OS/2, but the question should still be valid.

/Insert /Special character should do what you want.

For euro symbol, try AltGr $ to get €

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Insert Special Character Function:

Keith N. McKenna
On 4/19/2017 3:48 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does Apache Open Office have a function to allow insertion into text of
> a special character, even from another font? For example, what if I want
> an em dash or a euro symbol, characters for which there is no keyboard
> method of selecting?
>
> I am using AOO in OS/2, but the question should still be valid.
>
> Martin Rosenfeld
Martin;

Writer has the Menu Item Insert/Special Character. This will bring up a
dialog with drop-down lists to allow you to select the font and the
subset area of that font to display. For example to insert the euro sign
you would select the font you want, then in the subset drop-down you
would select currency symbols. In the display box select the euro symbol
then click OK and the euro symbol will be inserted at the current cursor
position in your document.

For an em dash Writer should automatically change two consecutive dashes
with an em dash.

Regards
Keith

Re: Insert Special Character Function:

James Knott
On 04/19/2017 04:39 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:48:07 -0700
> Martin Rosenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does Apache Open Office have a function to allow insertion into text of
>> a special character, even from another font? For example, what if I want
>> an em dash or a euro symbol, characters for which there is no keyboard
>> method of selecting?
>>
>> I am using AOO in OS/2, but the question should still be valid.
> /Insert /Special character should do what you want.
>
> For euro symbol, try AltGr $ to get €

I have my computers configured to use the English International layout.
It has many "special" characters.  With it, the € is AltGr 5.  AltGr $
produces the ¤ symbol.

Re: Insert Special Character Function:

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 17:13:19 -0400
James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/19/2017 04:39 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:48:07 -0700
> > Martin Rosenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Does Apache Open Office have a function to allow insertion into text of
> >> a special character, even from another font? For example, what if I want
> >> an em dash or a euro symbol, characters for which there is no keyboard
> >> method of selecting?
> >>
> >> I am using AOO in OS/2, but the question should still be valid.
> > /Insert /Special character should do what you want.
> >
> > For euro symbol, try AltGr $ to get €
> >

> I have my computers configured to use the English International layout.
> It has many "special" characters.  With it, the € is AltGr 5.  AltGr $
> produces the ¤ symbol.

On all my keyboards designed for UK/Irish market, using English(UK, extended WinKeys). the euro symbol is engraved as the AltGr selection on key 4/$.  Other layouts may change this, as James Knott indicates.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Insert Special Character Function:

Martin Rosenfeld
Thank you, all. I am now setup as I wish to be.

Martin