Insert autofields in footer no longer working

Insert autofields in footer no longer working

Carolyn
Dear Open Office Support Team,

Thank you so very much for your dedication to OpenOffice.

I'm familiar enough with Office apps, spent last 6 yrs of my career
teaching staff to use MSOffice and OpenOffice plus mainframe programs used
for the state of TX.  I retired 6 yrs ago so we were using OO3.x at that
time.  I have been using OO latest version personally since then.

Last week Writer started inserting plain text into footer rather than the
actual auto field for document name, date, page counts..etc.  I don't know
if it was caused by myself or by the latest update applied by Microsoft on
Wed, 12/20/18 to my Windows 7 Home Premium. I use a Dell Inspiron15 3000
series with Core i3 processor. I have MS updates set to take only necessary
security updates, not optional. The last update applied was 2018-12
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for
x64-based systems (KB4483187)  and the update indicates that it was
successful.   I do not use Internet Explorer as my browser at all.  I use
Chrome 99% of the time, and Firefox rarely.

I did, however, have the bright idea of creating an OO Writer template that
would always have the footer on with Document Name w/o extension and with
page no and page count.   It is possible that I messed up the default
template for Writer.  I researched and tried to follow all the directions
to replace the template and I even tried using the FIX for installation of
the currently installed version of OO 4.1.1.. I think.. then when that
didn't fix the problem, I downloaded and installed 4.1.6.    Writer is
still not inserting the auto fields in the footer.. just text name of the
auto field.

Can you please help me with the quickest way to do this.. like a new
default template for writer.. that comes with it when it's not broken... or
if it was MS that broke my OO, tell me how to fix, please?   I have
searched and cannot find anything that fixes my problem.

Thank you so much,
Carolyn

*"I am able to do all things in Him who empowers me."*

Re: Insert autofields in footer no longer working

Keith N. McKenna
On 12/24/2018 1:46 AM, Carolyn wrote:

> Dear Open Office Support Team,
>
> Thank you so very much for your dedication to OpenOffice.
>
> I'm familiar enough with Office apps, spent last 6 yrs of my career
> teaching staff to use MSOffice and OpenOffice plus mainframe programs used
> for the state of TX.  I retired 6 yrs ago so we were using OO3.x at that
> time.  I have been using OO latest version personally since then.
>
> Last week Writer started inserting plain text into footer rather than the
> actual auto field for document name, date, page counts..etc.  I don't know
> if it was caused by myself or by the latest update applied by Microsoft on
> Wed, 12/20/18 to my Windows 7 Home Premium. I use a Dell Inspiron15 3000
> series with Core i3 processor. I have MS updates set to take only necessary
> security updates, not optional. The last update applied was 2018-12
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for
> x64-based systems (KB4483187)  and the update indicates that it was
> successful.   I do not use Internet Explorer as my browser at all.  I use
> Chrome 99% of the time, and Firefox rarely.
>
> I did, however, have the bright idea of creating an OO Writer template that
> would always have the footer on with Document Name w/o extension and with
> page no and page count.   It is possible that I messed up the default
> template for Writer.  I researched and tried to follow all the directions
> to replace the template and I even tried using the FIX for installation of
> the currently installed version of OO 4.1.1.. I think.. then when that
> didn't fix the problem, I downloaded and installed 4.1.6.    Writer is
> still not inserting the auto fields in the footer.. just text name of the
> auto field.
>
> Can you please help me with the quickest way to do this.. like a new
> default template for writer.. that comes with it when it's not broken... or
> if it was MS that broke my OO, tell me how to fix, please?   I have
> searched and cannot find anything that fixes my problem.
>
> Thank you so much,
> Carolyn
>

> *"I am able to do all things in Him who empowers me."*

Carolyn;

I suspect that you have inadvertently toggled a view setting. This can
be corrected by editing your template document and doing either of the
following: Click View/Field Names or ctl+F9 then check the footer,
verify that the field contents are showing, then re-save the template

Regards
Keith

Re: Insert autofields in footer no longer working

Carolyn
YES! Thank you, that is exactly what I needed :)   fixed  yippee

*"I am able to do all things in Him who empowers me."*