Insertion of a Link

Vince@Gmail
AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496
2017-12-11 17:25

WIN10-64

I am attempting to insert a link to a .ODT file that contains "read me
first" information associated with one of my Calc spreadsheets.  I have
made use of an inserted link on one or two occasions, but do not recall
with confidence what I actually had done.

At present, I want to:

 1. initially, create the ReadMeFirst text (.ODT) with AOO Writer;
 2. insert a link to the resulting .ODT text file within my Calc .ODS file;
 3. have edits to the .ODT file with Writer in the future
    reflected/updated whenever I click on the link in the .ODS file.

Can this be accomplished with AOO? If yes, how should I go about doing
the link insertion in Calc?

Regards,
VinceB.

Re: Insertion of a Link

Brian Barker-2
At 13:16 28/05/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:

>I am attempting to insert a link to a .ODT file that contains "read
>me first" information associated with one of my Calc spreadsheets. I
>have made use of an inserted link on one or two occasions, but do
>not recall with confidence what I actually had done.
>
>At present, I want to:
>1. initially, create the ReadMeFirst text (.ODT) with AOO Writer;
>2. insert a link to the resulting .ODT text file within my Calc .ODS file;
>3. have edits to the .ODT file with Writer in the future
>    reflected/updated whenever I click on the link in the .ODS file.
>
>Can this be accomplished with AOO? If yes, how should I go about
>doing the link insertion in Calc?

Have you read "Hyperlinks and URLs" in Chapter 10, "Linking Calc
Data", of the Calc Guide? You should, you know.

o Go to Insert | Hyperlink (or click the Hyperlink button in the
Standard toolbar).
o Click Document at the left.
o Under Document, click the Open File icon and browse to and select
your target text file.
o Under "Further settings", select Text or Button as preferred.
o For Text, enter the text you want to appear for the link.
o Click Apply and Close.

You may want to go to Tools | Options... | Load/Save | General | Save
and to tick "Save URLs relative to file system" or to leave it
unticked if you want these to be absolute. The usefulness of relative
addressing is that the link will still work if the files are moved
but retain the same relative positions in folders. So if you have ,
say, both files in the same folder or perhaps have the text file in a
"Text" subfolder of the spreadsheet's folder, the hyperlink will
still work if both files are moved - perhaps even to another system -
but retain their relative positions. Do not worry that, even with
relative addressing chosen, the address for Path in the Hyperlink
dialogue will always show as an absolute path.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Insertion of a Link

Vince@Gmail

On 5/28/2018 4:16 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 13:16 28/05/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>> I am attempting to insert a link to a .ODT file that contains "read
>> me first" information associated with one of my Calc spreadsheets. I
>> have made use of an inserted link on one or two occasions, but do not
>> recall with confidence what I actually had done.
>>
>> At present, I want to:
>> 1. initially, create the ReadMeFirst text (.ODT) with AOO Writer;
>> 2. insert a link to the resulting .ODT text file within my Calc .ODS
>> file;
>> 3. have edits to the .ODT file with Writer in the future
>>    reflected/updated whenever I click on the link in the .ODS file.
>>
>> Can this be accomplished with AOO? If yes, how should I go about
>> doing the link insertion in Calc?
>
> Have you read "Hyperlinks and URLs" in Chapter 10, "Linking Calc
> Data", of the Calc Guide? You should, you know.
>
> o Go to Insert | Hyperlink (or click the Hyperlink button in the
> Standard toolbar).
> o Click Document at the left.
> o Under Document, click the Open File icon and browse to and select
> your target text file.
> o Under "Further settings", select Text or Button as preferred.
> o For Text, enter the text you want to appear for the link.
> o Click Apply and Close.
>
> You may want to go to Tools | Options... | Load/Save | General | Save
> and to tick "Save URLs relative to file system" or to leave it
> unticked if you want these to be absolute. The usefulness of relative
> addressing is that the link will still work if the files are moved but
> retain the same relative positions in folders. So if you have , say,
> both files in the same folder or perhaps have the text file in a
> "Text" subfolder of the spreadsheet's folder, the hyperlink will still
> work if both files are moved - perhaps even to another system - but
> retain their relative positions. Do not worry that, even with relative
> addressing chosen, the address for Path in the Hyperlink dialogue will
> always show as an absolute path.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Brian:
I assume that you mean the following document, which I have on my PC as
a PDF file:
/_OpenOffice.org 3.3_//_
_//_Calc Guide_//_
_//_Using Spreadsheets in OpenOffice.org 3.3_/
Copyright © 2005–2011 by its contributors.

I also have a LibreOffice 4.1 document entitled:
_/Calc Guide/__/
/__/Using Spreadsheets,/_
Copyright © 2013 by the LibreOffice Documentation Team.
I do not use LibreOffice, but do have it installed on my PC.

Both those documents' ToC appear to be very similar. I will use Chapter
10 in the OpenOffice. org 3.3 document for my study.  I have added a
button for Hyperlink to my toolbar.

TNX.

VinceB.

Re: Insertion of a Link

Brian Barker-2
At 14:26 29/05/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>I have added a button for Hyperlink to my toolbar.

It's there by default in the Standard toolbar for others ...

Brian Barker