Installation instructions for Solaris

Per Eriksson-2
Hi,

We are working on updating the installation instructions for
OpenOffice.org 3 on Solaris x86 and SPARC.

The current instructions is mentioned below, and is in a desperate need
of update.

Solaris Installation

Installation
1.Unpack the image into a directory. For example, the following command
will unpack into the current directory:
gunzip -c OOo_*_Solaris*_install.tar.gz | tar -xf -
This creates a new subdirectory which includes the installation-files.
Use the ls command to find the name of the new directory then use the cd
command to enter it.
2.cd into the packages subfolder. In this Directory you will find the
needed packages to install OpenOffice.org and a package for the
desktop-integration in Gnome.
3.Run su to become the root user.
4.If Gnome is not installed on your system, delete the subdirectory
gnome-desktop-integration
5.To permanently avoid recurring queries at the installation, you should
produce an admin file with the following content:
    action=nocheck
    conflict=nocheck
    idepend=nocheck.
You can do this with the following commands:
    echo action=nocheck >admin
    echo conflict=nocheck >>admin
    echo idepend=nocheck >>admin
6.Install the packages with:
    pkgadd -a admin -d . openoffice.org*
7.Install any language packs needed for OpenOffice.org.

Removal
No info. Probably pkgrm

Can anyone complete the instructions for the guide for the 3 versions?

--
:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
Best Regards

Re: Installation instructions for Solaris

Ingo Schmidt
Hello Per,

I recommend to use the Java GUI Installation Wizard, that is included in
the OpenOffice with JRE installation sets. In this case you only have to
use the "setup", that is part of the installation set for installation,
maintenance and uninstallation.
Without Java GUI Installer there are not many changes in the
installation process of OOo 3.x compared with OOo 2.x. But because of
the new 3-layer-structure of the product, you first have to install the
ure package (openofficeorg-ure), then the packages starting with
"ooobasis" and finally the brand packages starting with "openofficeorg3".
The Java GUI Installer of course takes care of this layering.

For Windows and Linux there are very good installation instruction from
Martin Bayer (perhaps an English translation is still missing):

http://www.ooowiki.de/InstallationUnterLinux
http://www.ooowiki.de/InstallationUnterWindows

Greetings

   Ingo

On 06/01/09 14:25, Per Eriksson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are working on updating the installation instructions for
> OpenOffice.org 3 on Solaris x86 and SPARC.
>
> The current instructions is mentioned below, and is in a desperate need
> of update.
>

> Solaris Installation
>
> Installation
> 1.Unpack the image into a directory. For example, the following command
> will unpack into the current directory:
> gunzip -c OOo_*_Solaris*_install.tar.gz | tar -xf -
> This creates a new subdirectory which includes the installation-files.
> Use the ls command to find the name of the new directory then use the cd
> command to enter it.
> 2.cd into the packages subfolder. In this Directory you will find the
> needed packages to install OpenOffice.org and a package for the
> desktop-integration in Gnome.
> 3.Run su to become the root user.
> 4.If Gnome is not installed on your system, delete the subdirectory
> gnome-desktop-integration
> 5.To permanently avoid recurring queries at the installation, you should
> produce an admin file with the following content:
>    action=nocheck
>    conflict=nocheck
>    idepend=nocheck.
> You can do this with the following commands:
>    echo action=nocheck >admin
>    echo conflict=nocheck >>admin
>    echo idepend=nocheck >>admin
> 6.Install the packages with:
>    pkgadd -a admin -d . openoffice.org*
> 7.Install any language packs needed for OpenOffice.org.
>
> Removal
> No info. Probably pkgrm
>

> Can anyone complete the instructions for the guide for the 3 versions?

Re: Installation instructions for Solaris

Per Eriksson-2
Hi Ingo,

Thank you very much. I got some replies from the german community about
the Java installer, and have now completely put those instructions first.

Regarding the instructions using pkg, which ofcourse must stay in the
document, will installing the packages in the incorrect order lead to a
non-working installation of OOo?

:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
Best Regards
Per Eriksson
Lead Swedish Native Lang Project
OpenOffice.org Community
Phone: +46 70 560 10 33
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://sv.openoffice.org/

Ingo Schmidt skrev:

> Hello Per,
>
> I recommend to use the Java GUI Installation Wizard, that is included
> in the OpenOffice with JRE installation sets. In this case you only
> have to use the "setup", that is part of the installation set for
> installation, maintenance and uninstallation.
> Without Java GUI Installer there are not many changes in the
> installation process of OOo 3.x compared with OOo 2.x. But because of
> the new 3-layer-structure of the product, you first have to install
> the ure package (openofficeorg-ure), then the packages starting with
> "ooobasis" and finally the brand packages starting with "openofficeorg3".
> The Java GUI Installer of course takes care of this layering.
>
> For Windows and Linux there are very good installation instruction
> from Martin Bayer (perhaps an English translation is still missing):
>
> http://www.ooowiki.de/InstallationUnterLinux
> http://www.ooowiki.de/InstallationUnterWindows
>
> Greetings
>
>   Ingo
>

> On 06/01/09 14:25, Per Eriksson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are working on updating the installation instructions for
>> OpenOffice.org 3 on Solaris x86 and SPARC.
>>
>> The current instructions is mentioned below, and is in a desperate
>> need of update.
>>

>> Solaris Installation
>>
>> Installation
>> 1.Unpack the image into a directory. For example, the following
>> command will unpack into the current directory:
>> gunzip -c OOo_*_Solaris*_install.tar.gz | tar -xf -
>> This creates a new subdirectory which includes the installation-files.
>> Use the ls command to find the name of the new directory then use the
>> cd command to enter it.
>> 2.cd into the packages subfolder. In this Directory you will find the
>> needed packages to install OpenOffice.org and a package for the
>> desktop-integration in Gnome.
>> 3.Run su to become the root user.
>> 4.If Gnome is not installed on your system, delete the subdirectory
>> gnome-desktop-integration
>> 5.To permanently avoid recurring queries at the installation, you
>> should produce an admin file with the following content:
>>    action=nocheck
>>    conflict=nocheck
>>    idepend=nocheck.
>> You can do this with the following commands:
>>    echo action=nocheck >admin
>>    echo conflict=nocheck >>admin
>>    echo idepend=nocheck >>admin
>> 6.Install the packages with:
>>    pkgadd -a admin -d . openoffice.org*
>> 7.Install any language packs needed for OpenOffice.org.
>>
>> Removal
>> No info. Probably pkgrm
>>

>> Can anyone complete the instructions for the guide for the 3 versions?

Re: Installation instructions for Solaris

Ingo Schmidt
Hi Per,

> Hi Ingo,
>
> Thank you very much. I got some replies from the german community about
> the Java installer, and have now completely put those instructions first.
>
> Regarding the instructions using pkg, which ofcourse must stay in the
> document, will installing the packages in the incorrect order lead to a
> non-working installation of OOo?

no, the correct order is only necessary to avoid dependency warnings. If
all required packages are installed successfully, the OOo works fine,
independent from the installation order.

  Ingo

Re: Installation instructions for Solaris

Per Eriksson-2
Hi Ingo,

Ok, you mentioned some differences from 2.x?

What is the correct command for uninstallation? This has always been
missing in the instructions.

Per

On 06/08/09 13:57, Per Eriksson wrote:
> Hi Ingo,
>
> Ok, you mentioned some differences from 2.x?

the main difference is the new package structure caused by the three
layers: ure -> basis -> brand.
Therefore it is necessary to install the packages in the correct order,
if you want to avaid warnings during installation:
1. ure package (openofficeorg-ure)
2. packages starting with "ooobasis"
3. brand packages starting with "openofficeorg3"

> What is the correct command for uninstallation? This has always been
> missing in the instructions.

For uninstallation I also recommend the Java GUI Installation Wizard. To
start this wizard, you find a file "setup" in the directory
/opt/openoffice.org3 .
If you do not use the GUI Installer you will have to use "pkgrm" for
each package. And of course you have to use the reverse order for
uninstallation:

1. brand packages starting with "openofficeorg3"
2. packages starting with "ooobasis"
3. ure package (openofficeorg-ure)

A shell script can simplify this task  ;-)  .

Ingo

> Per
>

> Ingo Schmidt skrev:
>> Hi Per,
>>
>>> Hi Ingo,
>>>
>>> Thank you very much. I got some replies from the german community
>>> about the Java installer, and have now completely put those
>>> instructions first.
>>>
>>> Regarding the instructions using pkg, which ofcourse must stay in the
>>> document, will installing the packages in the incorrect order lead to
>>> a non-working installation of OOo?
>>>

>> no, the correct order is only necessary to avoid dependency warnings.
>> If all required packages are installed successfully, the OOo works
>> fine, independent from the installation order.
>>
>>  Ingo

Re: Installation instructions for Solaris

Per Eriksson-2
Hello Ingo,

Ingo Schmidt skrev:
> Hello Per,
>
> the main difference is the new package structure caused by the three
> layers: ure -> basis -> brand.
> Therefore it is necessary to install the packages in the correct order,
> if you want to avaid warnings during installation:
> 1. ure package (openofficeorg-ure)
> 2. packages starting with "ooobasis"
> 3. brand packages starting with "openofficeorg3"

Ok, what happens if I install all packages with one command? Will it
work without warnings?

> For uninstallation I also recommend the Java GUI Installation Wizard. To
> start this wizard, you find a file "setup" in the directory
> /opt/openoffice.org3 .
> If you do not use the GUI Installer you will have to use "pkgrm" for
> each package. And of course you have to use the reverse order for
> uninstallation:
>
> 1. brand packages starting with "openofficeorg3"
> 2. packages starting with "ooobasis"
> 3. ure package (openofficeorg-ure)
>
> A shell script can simplify this task  ;-)  .
Thanks,
Per