Installing And Bypassing Registration Prompt

Installing And Bypassing Registration Prompt

Hal Vaughan
I have a situation where I have to install OOo on a series of systems.  Some
will be used regularly, but in other cases, OOo will always be used in a
headless mode.  Under 1.x, this was workable and it wasn't a nightmare
working out two ways to do it for Linux and Windows.  I've got it working
now, but I have one problem: The first time a user uses OOo, they have to
register.  This does not work on systems where it will always be run as
headless.  That means the installer had to start it an extra time and has
created problems where someone forgot to do this and then a system was not
working for days in the headless mode.

I've only had this problem on Linux.  I can set the value for running the
initial wizard to false and it's on problem in Windows.  I can't get it to
work with Linux, though.  I've seen many comments on this, but nothing that
works.  I saw several comments that said to edit Common.xcu and add this to
the Registration node:

  <prop oor:name="ReminderDate" oor:type="xs:string">
     <value xsi:nil="true"/>
  </prop>
  <prop oor:name="RequestDialog" oor:type="xs:int">
     <value>0</value>
  </prop>

I've done that and it makes no difference.

This is enough of a critical problem that we may have to discontinue use of
OOo if it can't be solved.

It wouldn't be so bad if OOo could be run in headless mode without the
registration being done, but if it hasn't been registered, OOo won't start
in headless mode.

Any suggestions?  Google has not been of much help on this.

Thanks!

Hal

Re: Installing And Bypassing Registration Prompt

Kent Gibson
you need to use the undocumented parameter
:-env:UserInstallation

it is documented in at least one web page.

If you can't find it just tell me and I will have a
look.

You need to install openoffice at least once, then
copy the user directory that was generated where ever
you want (be sure it is not too deep or you may get
errors.)

Then give the path to the userinstallation. As long as
OpenOffice can find the user installation directory
you will not get the registration window, and it will
find it with that property.

If you are using windows be sure to substitute all \
for / for example:

C:\buildtestga\A12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456\plugins\com.heiler.ppm.openoffice.core.win32_1.0.0\os\win32\x86\OO\program\soffice
-env:UserInstallation=file:///C:/buildtestga/A12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/oo

This example also illustrates the maximum depth when
you have an existing user directory.

--- Hal Vaughan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a situation where I have to install OOo on a
> series of systems.  Some
> will be used regularly, but in other cases, OOo will
> always be used in a
> headless mode.  Under 1.x, this was workable and it
> wasn't a nightmare
> working out two ways to do it for Linux and Windows.
>  I've got it working
> now, but I have one problem: The first time a user
> uses OOo, they have to
> register.  This does not work on systems where it
> will always be run as
> headless.  That means the installer had to start it
> an extra time and has
> created problems where someone forgot to do this and
> then a system was not
> working for days in the headless mode.
>
> I've only had this problem on Linux.  I can set the
> value for running the
> initial wizard to false and it's on problem in
> Windows.  I can't get it to
> work with Linux, though.  I've seen many comments on
> this, but nothing that
> works.  I saw several comments that said to edit
> Common.xcu and add this to
> the Registration node:
>
>   <prop oor:name="ReminderDate"
> oor:type="xs:string">
>      <value xsi:nil="true"/>
>   </prop>
>   <prop oor:name="RequestDialog" oor:type="xs:int">
>      <value>0</value>
>   </prop>
>
> I've done that and it makes no difference.
>
> This is enough of a critical problem that we may
> have to discontinue use of
> OOo if it can't be solved.
>
> It wouldn't be so bad if OOo could be run in
> headless mode without the
> registration being done, but if it hasn't been
> registered, OOo won't start
> in headless mode.
>
> Any suggestions?  Google has not been of much help
> on this.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hal

> For additional commands, e-mail:

Re: Installing And Bypassing Registration Prompt

Chris Harrington-2
The easiest way I have found to do this is edit

\OpenOffice.org 2.0\share\registry\data\org\openoffice\setup.xcu

Change

<prop oor:name="ooSetupInstCompleted">
        <value>false</value>
</prop>

<prop oor:name="ooSetupInstCompleted">
        <value>true</value>
</prop>

Then add this right below it:

<prop oor:name="LicenseAcceptDate" oor:type="xs:string">
        <value>2006-05-16T12:55:49</value>
</prop>
<prop oor:name="FirstStartWizardCompleted" oor:type="xs:boolean">
        <value>true</value>
</prop>

--Chris

Chris H wrote:

> The easiest way I have found to do this is edit
>
> \OpenOffice.org 2.0\share\registry\data\org\openoffice\setup.xcu
>
> Change
>
> <prop oor:name="ooSetupInstCompleted">
> <value>false</value>
> </prop>

> <prop oor:name="ooSetupInstCompleted">
> <value>true</value>
> </prop>
>

> Then add this right below it:
>
> <prop oor:name="LicenseAcceptDate" oor:type="xs:string">
> <value>2006-05-16T12:55:49</value>
> </prop>
> <prop oor:name="FirstStartWizardCompleted" oor:type="xs:boolean">
> <value>true</value>
> </prop>

Great.  I had figured out the first one already, along with changing
ooSetupShowIntro to false, but needed the other two.  Now there's no
problem -- no windows at all and I can run it headless from the start
without a problem.  It's testing just fine.

Thanks!

Hal