Installing OO-2 on Linux

SOTL
Hi All

I have downloaded OpenOffice-2 for both MS Windows and Linux boxes.
Installation and start up of MS Windows worked great. Installation of
OpenOffice-2 in Linux allegedly worked but I can not figure out how start the
program. What I would like to know is where the program files are located and
under what name.

I did have OpenOffice m173 installed on the Linux box before and at that time
the program files were located in /usr/bin/openoffice*. This does not
currently appear to be the case with the final edition of 2.0. So my first
question is where are these files located? I have searched for every
combinations of file name I can think of without success.

SOTL

Re: Installing OO-2 on Linux

CPHennessy
On Fri November 25 2005 14:58, SOTL wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have downloaded OpenOffice-2 for both MS Windows and Linux boxes.
> Installation and start up of MS Windows worked great. Installation of
> OpenOffice-2 in Linux allegedly worked but I can not figure out how start
> the program. What I would like to know is where the program files are
> located and under what name.
>
> I did have OpenOffice m173 installed on the Linux box before and at that
> time the program files were located in /usr/bin/openoffice*. This does not
> currently appear to be the case with the final edition of 2.0. So my first
> question is where are these files located? I have searched for every
> combinations of file name I can think of without success.

Using the "rpm -qlp <one-of-the-rpm-files>"  to see where the files are
installed. Also make sure that you install the relevant desktop rpm.

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

Re: Installing OO-2 on Linux

Dan Lewis-6
On Monday 28 November 2005 06:22 pm, CPHennessy wrote:

> On Fri November 25 2005 14:58, SOTL wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have downloaded OpenOffice-2 for both MS Windows and Linux boxes.
> > Installation and start up of MS Windows worked great. Installation of
> > OpenOffice-2 in Linux allegedly worked but I can not figure out how start
> > the program. What I would like to know is where the program files are
> > located and under what name.
> >
> > I did have OpenOffice m173 installed on the Linux box before and at that
> > time the program files were located in /usr/bin/openoffice*. This does
> > not currently appear to be the case with the final edition of 2.0. So my
> > first question is where are these files located? I have searched for
> > every combinations of file name I can think of without success.
>
> Using the "rpm -qlp <one-of-the-rpm-files>"  to see where the files are
> installed. Also make sure that you install the relevant desktop rpm.

All of my OOo 2.0 files on installation are located in /opt/openoffice2.0/.
The file you want is soffice located in /opt/openoffice2.0/program. Double
click it to complete the installation. It will create the .openoffice2.0
hidden directory in your home directory. This directory contains all of the
local files that the 1.1.x versions put in the OpenOffice.org1.1.x directory.

Dan