Integrating help texts and tool tips for extension

Integrating help texts and tool tips for extension

Keith Alcock
API,

I noticed that the standard menus for Writer (File, Edit, View,...) when
open and hovered over will show tooltips.  For Edit, this is "This menu
contains commands for editing the contents of the current document."  My
extension also has a menu, specified in Addons.xcu, but there is no such
tooltip.  I have menu items which have URLs which will show the tooltips
specified in *.xhp file bookmarks.  This much works like the standard menu
items, but how do I provide a tooltip for the menu itself?

If I set HELP_DEBUG=TRUE and hover over menus, then the one for mine has a
URL of "swriter: private:menu/Addon1"  Using the entirety or just
"private:menu/Addon1" in an *.xhp file will not get me the tooltip.  Even
if it did, the solution would not be general.  How can this be done?

Also does anyone know if it is possible to jump to a certain position in a
help file when the corresponding control in a dialog is selected?  I can
easily get the correct help page to appear when the dialog is open and F1
is pressed, but I can't automatically scroll down the page so that the most
pertinent content is displayed.  It's as if all bookmarks and ahelp tags
may as well be at the top of the page.  Is this scrolling implemented?

Thanks,

Keith

Re: Integrating help texts and tool tips for extension

Tsutomu Uchino
Hi,

Here is an example to specify tooltip to the menu inserted by the
Addons.xcu file.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91791736/MenuHelpTip.oxt

The entry has "foo.bar:MenuHelpTip" URL and index.xhp file contains the
following bookmark and
ahelp:
<bookmark branch="hid/foo.bar:MenuHelpTip" id="bm_idfoobar12"
localize="false"/>
<paragraph role="paragraph" id="par_idfoobartip"><ahelp hid=".">This menu
is a tooltip example.</ahelp></paragraph>
The branch attribute have to match with the menu URL.

Jump to a specified position in the help file is work well but sometimes
not its not work because of the

> API,
>
> I noticed that the standard menus for Writer (File, Edit, View,...) when
> open and hovered over will show tooltips.  For Edit, this is "This menu
> contains commands for editing the contents of the current document."  My
> extension also has a menu, specified in Addons.xcu, but there is no such
> tooltip.  I have menu items which have URLs which will show the tooltips
> specified in *.xhp file bookmarks.  This much works like the standard menu
> items, but how do I provide a tooltip for the menu itself?
>
> If I set HELP_DEBUG=TRUE and hover over menus, then the one for mine has a
> URL of "swriter: private:menu/Addon1"  Using the entirety or just
> "private:menu/Addon1" in an *.xhp file will not get me the tooltip.  Even
> if it did, the solution would not be general.  How can this be done?
>
> Also does anyone know if it is possible to jump to a certain position in a
> help file when the corresponding control in a dialog is selected?  I can
> easily get the correct help page to appear when the dialog is open and F1
> is pressed, but I can't automatically scroll down the page so that the most
> pertinent content is displayed.  It's as if all bookmarks and ahelp tags
> may as well be at the top of the page.  Is this scrolling implemented?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keith

Re: Integrating help texts and tool tips for extension

Keith Alcock
Tsutomu,

Thanks!  I do get an empty menu titled "MenuWithTip" in the menu bar with a
tooltip "This menu is a tooltip example."  However, it is an empty menu
that has no menu items when it opens.  If I try to add some menu items,
they don't appear.  Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.  Your menu is one level
further down in the node hierarchy.  Perhaps it does not support subnodes.
Can you add some menu items and still have the tooltip work?  Thanks.

Keith

> Here is an example to specify tooltip to the menu inserted by the
> Addons.xcu file.
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91791736/MenuHelpTip.oxt
>
> The entry has "foo.bar:MenuHelpTip" URL and index.xhp file contains the
> following bookmark and
> ahelp:
> <bookmark branch="hid/foo.bar:MenuHelpTip" id="bm_idfoobar12"
> localize="false"/>
> <paragraph role="paragraph" id="par_idfoobartip"><ahelp hid=".">This menu
> is a tooltip example.</ahelp></paragraph>
> The branch attribute have to match with the menu URL.
>

> Jump to a specified position in the help file is work well but sometimes
> not its not work because of the
>
> Regards

> > API,
> >
> > I noticed that the standard menus for Writer (File, Edit, View,...) when
> > open and hovered over will show tooltips.  For Edit, this is "This menu
> > contains commands for editing the contents of the current document."  My
> > extension also has a menu, specified in Addons.xcu, but there is no such
> > tooltip.  I have menu items which have URLs which will show the tooltips
> > specified in *.xhp file bookmarks.  This much works like the standard
> menu
> > items, but how do I provide a tooltip for the menu itself?
> >
> > If I set HELP_DEBUG=TRUE and hover over menus, then the one for mine has
> > URL of "swriter: private:menu/Addon1"  Using the entirety or just
> > "private:menu/Addon1" in an *.xhp file will not get me the tooltip.  Even
> > if it did, the solution would not be general.  How can this be done?
> >
> > Also does anyone know if it is possible to jump to a certain position in
> > help file when the corresponding control in a dialog is selected?  I can
> > easily get the correct help page to appear when the dialog is open and F1
> > is pressed, but I can't automatically scroll down the page so that the
> most
> > pertinent content is displayed.  It's as if all bookmarks and ahelp tags
> > may as well be at the top of the page.  Is this scrolling implemented?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Keith

Re: Integrating help texts and tool tips for extension

Tsutomu Uchino
Hi,
Like the following. I needed to add oor:op="replace" to node "a1".
Regards

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<oor:component-data
  xmlns:oor="http://openoffice.org/2001/registry"
  oor:package="org.openoffice.Office"
  oor:name="Addons">
  <node oor:name="AddonUI">
    <node oor:name="OfficeMenuBarMerging">
      <node oor:name="foo.bar.MenuHelpTip" oor:op="fuse">
        <node oor:name="foo.bar.MenuHelpTip.sub" oor:op="replace">
          <prop oor:name="MergePoint">
            <value>.uno:HelpMenu</value>
          </prop>
          <prop oor:name="MergeCommand">
            <value>AddBefore</value>
          </prop>
          <prop oor:name="MergeFallback">
            <value>AddPath</value>
          </prop>
          <prop oor:name="MergeContext">
            <value></value>
          </prop>
          <node oor:name="MenuItems">
            <node oor:name="child" oor:op="replace">
              <prop oor:name="Title">
                <value xml:lang="en-US">~MenuWithTip</value>
              </prop>
              <prop oor:name="URL">
                <value>foo.bar:MenuHelpTip</value>
              </prop>
              <prop oor:name="Target">
                <value>_self</value>
              </prop>
              <prop oor:name="Context">
                <value></value>
              </prop>
              <node oor:name="Submenu">
                <node oor:name="a1" oor:op="replace">
                  <prop oor:name="Title">
                    <value>Menu1</value>
                  </prop>
                  <prop oor:name="URL">
                    <value>.uno:Copy</value>
                  </prop>
                  <prop oor:name="Target">
                    <value>_self</value>
                  </prop>
                  <prop oor:name="Context">
                    <value></value>
                  </prop>
                </node>
              </node>
            </node>
          </node>
        </node>
      </node>
    </node>
  </node>
</oor:component-data>

> [...]
> Even
> > > if it did, the solution would not be general.  How can this be done?
> > >
> > > Also does anyone know if it is possible to jump to a certain position
> in
> > > help file when the corresponding control in a dialog is selected?  I
> can
> > > easily get the correct help page to appear when the dialog is open and
> F1
> > > is pressed, but I can't automatically scroll down the page so that the
> > most
> > > pertinent content is displayed.  It's as if all bookmarks and ahelp
> tags
> > > may as well be at the top of the page.  Is this scrolling implemented?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Keith

Re: Integrating help texts and tool tips for extension

Thank you, however this doesn't work for me on OpenOffice 4.0.1 and
Windows.  I will double check on Linux.  With your new code, the submenu or
menuitem "Menu1" is added and it will show a tooltip matching the copy
command, but the original menu "MenuWithTip" will lose its own tooltip when
the submenu is added.  That's the problem I'm trying to solve and this is a
good demonstration of it.

When I install your first example and check to see what the helpUrl is, I
see "swriter: foo.bar: MenuHelpTip" and the tooltip appears.  When I
install the second example, without the first, and check, I see "swriter:
private:menu/Addon1" and no tooltip appears.  Do you see the same thing?

Thanks for your help.  It may be time to check through the bug list.  This
seems like a design problem that won't be easily fixed.

Keith

> [...]
> > > The branch attribute have to match with the menu URL.
> > >

> > > Jump to a specified position in the help file is work well but
> sometimes
> > > not its not work because of the
> > >
> > > Regards

> > when
> menu
> > My
> > such
> > tooltips
> > > menu

> > has
> > Even

> > in
> > can
> and
> > F1
> the
> > > most
> > tags
> implemented?

Re: Integrating help texts and tool tips for extension

I see. The problem is there in the
framework::AddonsOptions_Impl::ReadMenuItem method.
If the menu item has own sub menu item, the URL for the item is replaced
with
internally generated URL like private:menu/Addon prefix with incremented
number.
So there is no way to know the assigned URL for the addon.
When I add "hid/private:menu/Addon1" to the help file, the tooltip was
shown correctly.
But this way is useless.

> [...]
> the
> > menu

> > sometimes

> > > when
> > menu
> document."
> > > My
> > > such
> > > tooltips
> standard

> mine
> > > has
> > > Even
> done?

> position
> > > in
> > > can
> > and
> > > F1
> > the
> > > tags
> > implemented?

Re: Integrating help texts and tool tips for extension

Bernard Marcelly
Hi Keith,
Your need is similar to a question asked here some months ago.
Read my answer in archives :
<https://www.mail-archive.com/api%40openoffice.apache.org/msg00789.html>

Regards
Bernard