Interested to do some of the OpenOffice points!

Interested to do some of the OpenOffice points!

suleiman-2
Hello
My name is Suleiman, I am doing master of information technology
(Professional) at the University of Southern Queensland USQ in
Australia, I need to do a project course, and I was thinking about doing
some work on some of the open source applications, when I was looking
online and searching, I found your website, and I will be interested do
some work about one or both of the following points:
1.    Use your XML knowledge
OpenOffice.org uses XML for all of its files. XSLT tools are available
to support non-native XML. If you know XML and XSLT there is much you
can do here. For instance, you can provide an SVG input transformation
so OpenOffice.org can open SVG <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/>  files.
2.    Spread the file format
The OpenOffice.org file format is just a collection of zipped XML files.
You could write a library that handles OpenOffice.org
<http://books.evc-cit.info/>  files for your favorite language.
I just took the java, and xml and semantic web services courses, and I
found that there are a lot of future topics to search with knowledge
about these subjects, so if you can give me some ideas about the work
and how to start for both of these issues, I will appreciate it.
Thanks
Suleiman

Re: Interested to do some of the OpenOffice points!

CPHennessy
On Wed November 9 2005 11:34, Suleiman wrote:

> Hello
> My name is Suleiman, I am doing master of information technology
> (Professional) at the University of Southern Queensland USQ in
> Australia, I need to do a project course, and I was thinking about doing
> some work on some of the open source applications, when I was looking
> online and searching, I found your website, and I will be interested do
> some work about one or both of the following points:
> 1.    Use your XML knowledge
> OpenOffice.org uses XML for all of its files. XSLT tools are available
> to support non-native XML. If you know XML and XSLT there is much you
> can do here. For instance, you can provide an SVG input transformation
> so OpenOffice.org can open SVG <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/>  files.
I think that there is already preliminary work done for completely supporting
SVG, have a look in issuezilla.

> 2.    Spread the file format
> The OpenOffice.org file format is just a collection of zipped XML files.
> You could write a library that handles OpenOffice.org
> <http://books.evc-cit.info/>  files for your favorite language.
> I just took the java, and xml and semantic web services courses, and I
> found that there are a lot of future topics to search with knowledge
> about these subjects, so if you can give me some ideas about the work
> and how to start for both of these issues, I will appreciate it.

Even though there does not seem to be anyone in Sun actively monitoring and
responding to the emails in [hidden email], it is actually the
correct mailing list for XML related topics.

Please reply to [hidden email] only

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

Re: Interested to do some of the OpenOffice points!

G. Roderick Singleton-2
On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 16:10 +0000, CPHennessy wrote:

> On Wed November 9 2005 11:34, Suleiman wrote:
> > Hello
> > My name is Suleiman, I am doing master of information technology
> > (Professional) at the University of Southern Queensland USQ in
> > Australia, I need to do a project course, and I was thinking about doing
> > some work on some of the open source applications, when I was looking
> > online and searching, I found your website, and I will be interested do
> > some work about one or both of the following points:
> > 1.    Use your XML knowledge
> > OpenOffice.org uses XML for all of its files. XSLT tools are available
> > to support non-native XML. If you know XML and XSLT there is much you
> > can do here. For instance, you can provide an SVG input transformation
> > so OpenOffice.org can open SVG <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/>  files.
> I think that there is already preliminary work done for completely supporting
> SVG, have a look in issuezilla.

Perhaps the wiki would be more useful. See
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_SVGImportFilter

> > 2.    Spread the file format
> > The OpenOffice.org file format is just a collection of zipped XML files.
> > You could write a library that handles OpenOffice.org
> > <http://books.evc-cit.info/>  files for your favorite language.
> > I just took the java, and xml and semantic web services courses, and I
> > found that there are a lot of future topics to search with knowledge
> > about these subjects, so if you can give me some ideas about the work
> > and how to start for both of these issues, I will appreciate it.
>
> Even though there does not seem to be anyone in Sun actively monitoring and
> responding to the emails in [hidden email], it is actually the
> correct mailing list for XML related topics.
>
> Please reply to [hidden email] only

--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead

Lotus 1-2-3

Zirneklis

Is there any good reason why OpenOffice Spreadsheet can only read but not
save Lotus 1-2-3 format files?

Thanks,
Karlis

Re: Lotus 1-2-3

Mathias Bauer
Zirneklis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any good reason why OpenOffice Spreadsheet can only read but not
> save Lotus 1-2-3 format files?

Yes, it's the best reason you can imagine: because nobody implemented
it. :-)

Ciao,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [hidden email] is a spam sink.