Intro and advice sought

George.Pitcher
Hi all,

I build dedicated websites in support of the service that my company runs
for UK universities and colleges. I am about to make my second platform
move. I moved from Mac to Windows 5 years ago and am about to move again to
Linux (Debian is currenty used by the company). I use PHP, MySQL and do my
development work in Dreamweaver.

You might be asking 'What's all that got to do with OpenOffice?'. Well, one
of the things I currently do on the Windows (NT4) version of one of my
sites, is to build MS Word documents from scratch, using COM. This involves
multi-page documents and image inclusion. I need to be able to do the same
type of thing on Linux, so naturally thought that OpenOffice would be the
equivalent application to MS Office.

Has anyone done this type of document building, and if so, can they point me
in the right direction to get me started? If I should be asking this
question on another non-php list, please let me know.

Cheers

George, in Oxford, UK

Re: Intro and advice sought

Claus Agerskov-2
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, George Pitcher wrote:

> You might be asking 'What's all that got to do with OpenOffice?'. Well, one
> of the things I currently do on the Windows (NT4) version of one of my
> sites, is to build MS Word documents from scratch, using COM. This involves
> multi-page documents and image inclusion. I need to be able to do the same
> type of thing on Linux, so naturally thought that OpenOffice would be the
> equivalent application to MS Office.
>
> Has anyone done this type of document building, and if so, can they point me
> in the right direction to get me started? If I should be asking this
> question on another non-php list, please let me know.

The fileformat of OpenOffice.org is OpenDocument 1.0 which is XML files
and included binaries (images, sounds etc.) ZIP-compressed to a single
file.

So you can create a template, save it and uncompress it and then change
the data you want to create documents.

The most enjoyable greetings
--
Claus Agerskov     ###= Analyze                      OpenOffice.org
Co-lead/owner          #=== Requirements         Project Management Tool

RE: Intro and advice sought

George.Pitcher
Claus,

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.