Introduction

Wanda Phillips
Hello,
I signed on a couple of weeks ago and although I've tried to follow the
threads, I've had nothing to contribute. I am in the midst of moving, having
lost my job and therefore my pretty much everything as I am a resident alien
(I'm going to miss that moniker). Once I'm a bit more settled, up in Canada,
I will be able to take a look at what needs doing and where I can best
contribute to the effort.
Some background:
Graduated from a 3-year diploma course on technical writing in 1989. Have
been working since then. The first couple of jobs I had were documenting
database management tools. Have also done contract work in telecom, but have
only briefly been engaged in that domain. Spent the past 8 years working on
user manuals for ultrasound systems. Have worked with various tools, but
most recently have been immersed in DITA as a tool for developing complex
documentation that is shared across at least 8 products (by the time I left,
there are several new products coming on board and they, too, will share
that collection of content). Loved DITA as much as I hated it. The hate part
was mostly about the tools we didn't have to manage our content better. We
didn't even use version control. Herculean effort to maintain the integrity
of the content.
At that last job I learned more about team work than I had in all the years
previous.
Oh, and I've signed up for university. ROTFL!! Can't believe it. But, I'm
trying to get into 2 classes this semester and then at least 2 more next
semester. No real job, and no real prospects as I'm partially disabled and
working on PT to get me back to work.
Anything else you want to know, please ask. I hope to be diving into the
process in the next few days.
I'm really looking forward to working with this group.
Wanda

--
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ
from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
incapable of forming such opinions.
Albert Einstein

Re: Introduction

Clayton-24
On 09/09/10 10:02, Wanda Phillips wrote:

> Hello,
> I signed on a couple of weeks ago and although I've tried to follow the
> threads, I've had nothing to contribute. I am in the midst of moving, having
> lost my job and therefore my pretty much everything as I am a resident alien
> (I'm going to miss that moniker). Once I'm a bit more settled, up in Canada,
> I will be able to take a look at what needs doing and where I can best
> contribute to the effort.
> Some background:
> Graduated from a 3-year diploma course on technical writing in 1989. Have
> been working since then. The first couple of jobs I had were documenting
> database management tools. Have also done contract work in telecom, but have
> only briefly been engaged in that domain. Spent the past 8 years working on
> user manuals for ultrasound systems. Have worked with various tools, but
> most recently have been immersed in DITA as a tool for developing complex
> documentation that is shared across at least 8 products (by the time I left,
> there are several new products coming on board and they, too, will share
> that collection of content). Loved DITA as much as I hated it. The hate part
> was mostly about the tools we didn't have to manage our content better. We
> didn't even use version control. Herculean effort to maintain the integrity
> of the content.
> At that last job I learned more about team work than I had in all the years
> previous.
> Oh, and I've signed up for university. ROTFL!! Can't believe it. But, I'm
> trying to get into 2 classes this semester and then at least 2 more next
> semester. No real job, and no real prospects as I'm partially disabled and
> working on PT to get me back to work.
> Anything else you want to know, please ask. I hope to be diving into the
> process in the next few days.
> I'm really looking forward to working with this group.
> Wanda

Hi Wanda.  Just wanted to say welcome :-)  Sounds like things pretty busy for
you right now.  Big wave to my home country.  It's been too long since I've been
back in Canada.

We're going to be working on coming up with some more clear information for
people like yourself who are just getting started.

Whenever you have things sorted and you feel like tackling a task, just pop in
here and let the team know.  One of us can point you at a document that needs
reviewing, or maybe a doc/chapter/FAQ/HowTo that needs revising.  There's always
something to do here.

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       [hidden email]
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead