Is Catalan (Valencian) translation dead?

Is Catalan (Valencian) translation dead?

Pau Iranzo-2
Hi,

The Catalan (Valencian) translation hasn't been updated since a few
months ago. I have write permissions, but I'm not the main responsible
for this translation and I'm not sure wether I should translate it or
not.

If the responsible is missing, I'll be glad to take care of it. And if
he is not missing... can I help translating into Catalan (Valencian)?

Thanks!

Pau

Re: Is Catalan (Valencian) translation dead?

Rafaella Braconi-2
Hi Pau,

On 01/20/11 13:53, Pau Iranzo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Catalan (Valencian) translation hasn't been updated since a few
> months ago. I have write permissions, but I'm not the main responsible
> for this translation and I'm not sure wether I should translate it or
> not.
>
> If the responsible is missing, I'll be glad to take care of it. And if
> he is not missing... can I help translating into Catalan (Valencian)?

you are more than welcome to participate in the translation :-) and if
nobody objects, we can grant you admin permissions that enable you to
coordinate the translation project by using Pootle. I'm also cc:ing the
dev@native-lang list to make this as transparent as possible.

Also, can you please add Catalan (Valencian) to the language list at
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Languages?

Thanks,
Rafaella

Re: [native-lang] Re: [l10n-dev] Is Catalan (Valencian) translation dead?

Frank Mau-2
Yes, ca-XV is on Pootle up-to-date. Pls. add your account on
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Languages

Latest dev.-l10n-builds should be available on
ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/download/ as lang-pack

-Frank

On 24.01.2011 12:51, Rafaella Braconi wrote:

> Hi Pau,
>
> On 01/20/11 13:53, Pau Iranzo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Catalan (Valencian) translation hasn't been updated since a few
>> months ago. I have write permissions, but I'm not the main responsible
>> for this translation and I'm not sure wether I should translate it or
>> not.
>>
>> If the responsible is missing, I'll be glad to take care of it. And if
>> he is not missing... can I help translating into Catalan (Valencian)?
>>
> you are more than welcome to participate in the translation :-) and if
> nobody objects, we can grant you admin permissions that enable you to
> coordinate the translation project by using Pootle. I'm also cc:ing the
> dev@native-lang list to make this as transparent as possible.
>
> Also, can you please add Catalan (Valencian) to the language list at
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Languages?
>
> Thanks,
> Rafaella

<http://www.oracle.com/>
Dipl.-Ing. Frank Grzesiak-Mau | Translation, IssueTracking, Web-tools
Phone: +49 40 23646894
Oracle Oracle Open Office Operations

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment>

Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help
protect the environment

Terminology Projects

Michael Bauer
Question about terminology projects/TM on Pootle. If I start such a
thing for my locale, will it then make suggestions live i.e. if I
translate string ab cd de, and then ab cd de comes up again, it will
automatically suggest that as a match or will it only do that after a
build has been created or released or some such thing?

If it does work live, how do I go about setting one up for Scots Gaelic
(gd)? It says "request from an admin" but it doesn't specify too clearly
which admin :)

Cheers,

Michael

--
*Akerbeltz*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
<http://www.mozillamessaging.com/gd/thunderbird/> ◦ Opera 11 sa
Ghàidhlig <http://www.opera.com/download/languagefiles/>*

Re: Terminology Projects

Dwayne Bailey

On 2011-01-25 02:47, Michael Bauer wrote:
> Question about terminology projects/TM on Pootle. If I start such a
> thing for my locale, will it then make suggestions live i.e. if I
> translate string ab cd de, and then ab cd de comes up again, it will
> automatically suggest that as a match or will it only do that after a
> build has been created or released or some such thing?
Lets split TM and terminology suggestions:

1) Terminology - works in Pootle
If you place any terminology file(s) in the Terminology project on
Pootle then this will happen: any word or substring that appears in the
current unit that is also in Terminology will appear on the left of your
editing widget.  This is mostly to ensure consistency in terminology
choice across the project.

I'd recommend that every language on Pootle do this.

2) Translation Memory - not available in Pootle 2.1
We don't do any TM in Pootle 2.1, so no exact or close matches.  But we
are implementing something for Pootle 2.2.  You can test it at
http://test.locamotion.org/

We've been trying to raise funds for this feature for a while now, our
resources are a bit stretched at the moment though so we've had to scale
down our vision.  So probably no live TM but as you can see in the test
server it is quite useful anyway.  Hopefully we'll find some support and
2.2 will have rock solid TM.

So please play with it an give us your feedback.
> If it does work live, how do I go about setting one up for Scots
> Gaelic (gd)? It says "request from an admin" but it doesn't specify
> too clearly which admin :)
So for TM no go for now.  But for terminology please jump right in.

regards
Dwayne

Re: Terminology Projects

Michael Bauer
Dwayne,

Thanks!
> 1) Terminology - works in Pootle
> If you place any terminology file(s) in the Terminology project on
> Pootle then this will happen: any word or substring that appears in
> the current unit that is also in Terminology will appear on the left
> of your editing widget.  This is mostly to ensure consistency in
> terminology choice across the project.
>
> I'd recommend that every language on Pootle do this.
Ok, makes sense, happy to do that - but how or rather where exactly? Is
that the same as the Glossary (which is the closest thing to a
Terminology project I can find)?
(http://pootle.services.openoffice.org/gd/openoffice_org/terminology_manage.html)

> So please play with it an give us your feedback.

Ok I will when I can scrape some time!

Michael

On 2011-01-25 13:47, Michael Bauer wrote:

> Dwayne,
>
> Thanks!
>> 1) Terminology - works in Pootle
>> If you place any terminology file(s) in the Terminology project on
>> Pootle then this will happen: any word or substring that appears in
>> the current unit that is also in Terminology will appear on the left
>> of your editing widget.  This is mostly to ensure consistency in
>> terminology choice across the project.
>>
>> I'd recommend that every language on Pootle do this.
> Ok, makes sense, happy to do that - but how or rather where exactly?
> Is that the same as the Glossary (which is the closest thing to a
> Terminology project I can find)?
> (http://pootle.services.openoffice.org/gd/openoffice_org/terminology_manage.html)
That will also work.  This will automatically try to generate a glossary
for you, you will need to review and remove rubbish and add terms as needed.

But you can also place files in the top level project called
'Terminology' which will also be used.

>> So please play with it an give us your feedback.
>
> Ok I will when I can scrape some time!
>
> Michael

Re: Terminology Projects

Michael Bauer
Dwayne,

> But you can also place files in the top level project called
> 'Terminology' which will also be used.
Yes but *where*? The closes I can see is something for Sinhala?
http://pootle.services.openoffice.org/projects/terminology/

Is that the right place and if so, how exactly do I go about doing one
for Gaelic?

Thanks

Michael

On 2011-01-25 17:43, Michael Bauer wrote:
> Dwayne,
>>
>> But you can also place files in the top level project called
>> 'Terminology' which will also be used.
> Yes but *where*? The closes I can see is something for Sinhala?
> http://pootle.services.openoffice.org/projects/terminology/
>
> Is that the right place and if so, how exactly do I go about doing one
> for Gaelic?

Yes its the right place.  You need to have Gaelic enabled as a language
within terminology.  You can take any existing terminology resource in
PO, TMX, TBX whatever Pootle support and upload it within your language
in the terminology project.

Alternatively, the method you saw will create a terminology list just
for the current project.

Sorry gotta run,
Dwayne

Re: Terminology Projects

Michael Bauer

25/01/2011 15:51, Sgrìobh Dwayne Bailey:

> Yes its the right place.  You need to have Gaelic enabled as a
> language within terminology.  You can take any existing terminology
> resource in PO, TMX, TBX whatever Pootle support and upload it within
> your language in the terminology project.

Ok, I use an online dictionary for that so I'd have to do that "from
scratch". Who can enable Scots Gaelic (gd) for me?

le meas,

Michael