Is there a way to change the assigned attributes when using Find & Replace function in AOO-Calc Spreadsheets?

Is there a way to change the assigned attributes when using Find & Replace function in AOO-Calc Spreadsheets?

WA.TWORSX via AOL-2

AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496
2017-12-11 17:25

Desktop Windows 10-64 Home

I am trying to change the attributes on data that exists within an AOO
Calc cell when using the Find & Replace function. For example, if the
cell presently shows:

     Goes

I want it to be replaced with:

*    Goes*

That is, add the *bold* attribute to the existing data.

In the Find & Replace dialogue window, I have selected:  Fewer Options,
with none of the boxes checked.  I have also selected: Search in:
"Values" (near the bottom of that window).
**

Is there a way to change / replace the assigned attributes when using
Find & Replace function in AOO-Calc Spreadsheets?

Regards,

VinceB.

Re: Is there a way to change the assigned attributes when using Find & Replace function in AOO-Calc Spreadsheets?

David Belina-2
The way the data is displayed in any spreadsheet is determined by the formatting which is linked to cell/row/column and not the particular data.  The search and replace function searches the data not the format.

You might be able to write a script (in excel you do this in vbs (visual basic) but I’m not sure in OO.

The question is what you want to highlight.  If it is a summary or other function you eventually want to arrive at - you can just format the last result cell.

On March 14, 2019 at 9:24:27 AM, WA.TWORSX via AOL ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

Keith N. McKenna
On 3/14/2019 11:54 AM, David Belina wrote:
> The way the data is displayed in any spreadsheet is determined by the
> formatting which is linked to cell/row/column and not the particular
> data.  The search and replace function searches the data not the
> format.
>
> You might be able to write a script (in excel you do this in vbs
> (visual basic) but I’m not sure in OO.

In AOO you would use OpenOffice Basic the guide for which can be found
at https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/BASIC_Guide
Keith

> The question is what you want to highlight.  If it is a summary or
> other function you eventually want to arrive at - you can just format
> the last result cell.
>

> On March 14, 2019 at 9:24:27 AM, WA.TWORSX via AOL
> ([hidden email]) wrote:
>

> AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496 2017-12-11 17:25
>
> Desktop Windows 10-64 Home

> I am trying to change the attributes on data that exists within an
> AOO Calc cell when using the Find & Replace function. For example, if
> the cell presently shows:
>
> Goes
>
> I want it to be replaced with:
>
> *    Goes*
>
> That is, add the *bold* attribute to the existing data.
>
> In the Find & Replace dialogue window, I have selected:  Fewer
> Options, with none of the boxes checked.  I have also selected:
> Search in: "Values" (near the bottom of that window). **
>
> Is there a way to change / replace the assigned attributes when using
>  Find & Replace function in AOO-Calc Spreadsheets?
>
> Regards,
>
> VinceB.

Re: Is there a way to change the assigned attributes when using Find & Replace function in AOO-Calc Spreadsheets?

WA.TWORSX via AOL-2

Hi David:

I do not think you understand what I am attempting to do, so I'll try to
clarify what my goal is.

In my spreadsheet cells I have typed a word, e.g., Goes,many times.  I
meant to type that word in Bold font.  Is there a way to change the
already typed word (e.g., Goes) to be in bold font by use of the Find &
Replace function?

I am not attempting to highlight an area within the spreadsheet.  I do
not program in vbs, or any other language for that matter. :-) Years
ago, I started to learn machine language for the Motorola 6809E chip,
but have not ever put what I learned to use.

TNX for your reply.

VinceB.

On 3/14/2019 11:54 AM, David Belina wrote:

> The way the data is displayed in any spreadsheet is determined by the formatting which is linked to cell/row/column and not the particular data.  The search and replace function searches the data not the format.
>
> You might be able to write a script (in excel you do this in vbs (visual basic) but I’m not sure in OO.
>
> The question is what you want to highlight.  If it is a summary or other function you eventually want to arrive at - you can just format the last result cell.
>

> On March 14, 2019 at 9:24:27 AM, WA.TWORSX via AOL ([hidden email]) wrote:
>

> AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496
> 2017-12-11 17:25
>
> Desktop Windows 10-64 Home

> I am trying to change the attributes on data that exists within an AOO
> Calc cell when using the Find & Replace function. For example, if the
> cell presently shows:
>
>      Goes
>
> I want it to be replaced with:
>
> *    Goes*
>
> That is, add the *bold* attribute to the existing data.
>
> In the Find & Replace dialogue window, I have selected:  Fewer Options,
> with none of the boxes checked.  I have also selected: Search in:
> "Values" (near the bottom of that window).
> **
>
> Is there a way to change / replace the assigned attributes when using
> Find & Replace function in AOO-Calc Spreadsheets?
>
> Regards,
>
> VinceB.

Re: Is there a way to change the assigned attributes when using Find & Replace function in AOO-Calc Spreadsheets?

Martin Groenescheij

> On 14 Mar 2019, at 6:33 pm, WA.TWORSX via AOL <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi David:
>
> I do not think you understand what I am attempting to do, so I'll try to clarify what my goal is.
>
> In my spreadsheet cells I have typed a word, e.g., Goes,many times.  I meant to type that word in Bold font.  Is there a way to change the already typed word (e.g., Goes) to be in bold font by use of the Find & Replace function?

You can use Conditional Formatting to make a whole Cell bold, just check if the Cell contains “Goes” and create a new Paragraph Stype.

> I am not attempting to highlight an area within the spreadsheet.  I do not program in vbs, or any other language for that matter. :-) Years ago, I started to learn machine language for the Motorola 6809E chip, but have not ever put what I learned to use.
>
> TNX for your reply.
>

> VinceB.
>

>> On 3/14/2019 11:54 AM, David Belina wrote:
>> The way the data is displayed in any spreadsheet is determined by the formatting which is linked to cell/row/column and not the particular data.  The search and replace function searches the data not the format.
>>
>> You might be able to write a script (in excel you do this in vbs (visual basic) but I’m not sure in OO.
>>
>> The question is what you want to highlight.  If it is a summary or other function you eventually want to arrive at - you can just format the last result cell.
>>

>> On March 14, 2019 at 9:24:27 AM, WA.TWORSX via AOL ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>

>> AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496
>> 2017-12-11 17:25
>>
>> Desktop Windows 10-64 Home

>> I am trying to change the attributes on data that exists within an AOO
>> Calc cell when using the Find & Replace function. For example, if the
>> cell presently shows:
>>
>>     Goes
>>
>> I want it to be replaced with:
>>
>> *    Goes*
>>
>> That is, add the *bold* attribute to the existing data.
>>
>> In the Find & Replace dialogue window, I have selected:  Fewer Options,
>> with none of the boxes checked.  I have also selected: Search in:
>> "Values" (near the bottom of that window).
>> **
>>
>> Is there a way to change / replace the assigned attributes when using
>> Find & Replace function in AOO-Calc Spreadsheets?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> VinceB.

Re: Is there a way to change the assigned attributes when using Find & Replace function in AOO-Calc Spreadsheets?

Joost Andrae-2

if you format cells using a cell formating template (function key F11)
then you can easily change this cell formating by changing the cell
formating template (eg. by adding background color red to this
template). If you change this template then all cells where you assinged
the template to change it's formating immediately.

It think it's a better way then using search&replace.

Kind regards, Joost

On 14/03/2019 20:59, Joost Andrae wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if you format cells using a cell formating template (function key F11)

F11 refers to Styles and Formatting which is not the same as Templates.

To achieve the desired results you have to  create a Cell Style using
the F11 Function Key.
Then in one of the Cells Select Conditional Formatting and change "Cell
value is" to "Formula is" then enter "FIND("GOES";UPPER(A1);1)" in the
condition box.
In the Cell Style you select the newly created Cell Style.
Now you can Copy and Paste Special the format to a range of cells.