Is this a glitch?

12

Is this a glitch?

Harvey McIntyre
I am trying to hide the grid on my spreadsheet. Instruction are: Tools, Options, OpenOffice.org.calc, View, unmark gridlines.

That feature is not shown on the page the instruction leads to.

Harvey McIntyre
Winnipeg, Canada
(204) 261-9972

Re: Is this a glitch?

Tubular
I am running OpenOffice 4.0.1 (English) version on an old Windows
system.  The below instructions removed all gridlines.

Are you using windows / mac?  Another version of OpenOffice?

Harvey McIntyre wrote:

> I am trying to hide the grid on my spreadsheet. Instruction are: Tools, Options, OpenOffice.org.calc, View, unmark gridlines.
>
> That feature is not shown on the page the instruction leads to.
>
> Harvey McIntyre
> Winnipeg, Canada
> (204) 261-9972
> [hidden email]

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Is this a glitch?

Dean Durow
remove me from this annoying email

Thanks

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Tubular <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am running OpenOffice 4.0.1 (English) version on an old Windows system.
>  The below instructions removed all gridlines.
>
> Are you using windows / mac?  Another version of OpenOffice?
>

> Harvey McIntyre wrote:
>
>> I am trying to hide the grid on my spreadsheet. Instruction are: Tools,
>> Options, OpenOffice.org.calc, View, unmark gridlines.
>>
>> That feature is not shown on the page the instruction leads to.
>>
>> Harvey McIntyre
>> Winnipeg, Canada
>> (204) 261-9972
>> [hidden email]
>>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: Is this a glitch?

Ann Carswell
Good luck!  I asked several weeks ago to be removed and am still on this list.
Ann Carswell

On Mar 10, 2014, at 8:12 AM, Dean Durow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> remove me from this annoying email
>
> Thanks
>

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Tubular <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am running OpenOffice 4.0.1 (English) version on an old Windows system.
>> The below instructions removed all gridlines.
>>
>> Are you using windows / mac?  Another version of OpenOffice?
>>

>> Harvey McIntyre wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to hide the grid on my spreadsheet. Instruction are: Tools,
>>> Options, OpenOffice.org.calc, View, unmark gridlines.
>>>
>>> That feature is not shown on the page the instruction leads to.
>>>
>>> Harvey McIntyre
>>> Winnipeg, Canada
>>> (204) 261-9972
>>> [hidden email]
>>>

>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.

Re: Is this a glitch?

Sara von Broembsen
I asked this morning and still on too

Sara
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Tubular <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am running OpenOffice 4.0.1 (English) version on an old Windows system.
>>  The below instructions removed all gridlines.
>>
>> Are you using windows / mac?  Another version of OpenOffice?
>>

>> Harvey McIntyre wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to hide the grid on my spreadsheet. Instruction are: Tools,
>>> Options, OpenOffice.org.calc, View, unmark gridlines.
>>>
>>> That feature is not shown on the page the instruction leads to.
>>>
>>> Harvey McIntyre
>>> Winnipeg, Canada
>>> (204) 261-9972
>>> [hidden email]
>>>

>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.

---

Re: Is this a glitch?

Tom Backer Johnsen
Sara

This is not a glitch.  It is in general a good idea to read your supposedly annoying mail.  Close to the bottom is says how to unsubscribe.

Sincerely,

Tom

On 10. Mar 2014, at 13:36 , Sara von Broembsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I asked this morning and still on too
>
> Sara
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dean Durow" <[hidden email]>

Tom Backer Johnsen
Søndre Steinkjellersmauet 7
5003 Bergen
Mobil: +47 9169 3346
Email: backer(at)psych.uib.no

Removing yourself from the list :)

Shari Lynn Smith
It's simple to be removed, however not by sending in an email requesting
it. As it says at the bottom of every email. Just click the email
address and send from the address you're receiving the emails to, and it
should happen automatically.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:[hidden email]

Good luck!
Shari

Re: Removing yourself from the list :)

Peter Junge-3
To my experience --being a moderator for a couple of years-- one of the
most common mistakes is that subscribers are trying to remove themselves
with a different email address but the one that is subscribed to the list.

On 11/03/14 06:25, Shari wrote:

> It's simple to be removed, however not by sending in an email requesting
> it. As it says at the bottom of every email. Just click the email
> address and send from the address you're receiving the emails to, and it
> should happen automatically.
>
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:[hidden email]
>
> Good luck!
> Shari

AMAZING -- Case of Subscription via a Remailer Address [was: Re: Removing yourself from the list :)]

Tom Panfil
Hello OpenOffice Apache Moderators,

I don't want to unsubscribe from any of the three project lists to which
I subscribe (users, dev, api)  but like you,  I've seen too many
requests sent to the lists from people who want to unsubscribe.  I
assume that something is finally done administratively to unsubscribe
their addresses since they eventually stop pestering.

Many people who are members of ACM or IEEE or other professional
associations register using a Remailer Address serviced by the
organization.  The use of a Remailer Address enables provision of at
least the following services by the organization:

  * Virus scanning of mail sent to the member's "Remailer Address"
  * Quarantining of S--- sent to the member's "Remailer Address"  --
    Note that I did not use the "S-Word" since using it might cause
    Verizon refuse to send the message considering it to be S----.
  * Forwarding of non-infected non-S--- messages to the member's ISP
    provided addresses.
  * Ease of changing of ISPs by simply registering a new ISP supplied
    e-mail address with the Remailer Service so that mail sent to the
    Remailer address is forwarded to the member's "new" current ISP
    provided address.  Correspondents need not be informed of the change
    of ISP.

These people *cannot* send from their Remailer Addresses.  They can and
usually do include their preferred Remailer Address in the Reply-To
field of their message headers.  Their e-mail messages are sent from
their ISP provided addresses.

So, I think that a significant proportion of those who send to the list
asking to be removed have tried sending to the address in the footer of
the messages and were not removed from the list since they are
subscribed with a Remailer Address.  That address from which they are
send is different from the address which is subscribed

I recommend that some mechanism be established for such subscribers to
take action to be removed from OpenOffice Apache lists.  The
instructions they need should be provided in the footer with the other
three instructions.

I can't imagine that *no* developers and maintainers of OpenOffice know
of Remailer Addresses.  How could this problem have festered so long?
Does the project cadre really not know about Remailer Addresses?   If
you can maintain Apache projects you must be able to understand this
dilemma now that I have explained it somewhat clearly, I think.

Note that I am subscribed via an IEEE Remailer address.

I'd no doubt have the same problem which these other poor souls have if
I'd try to unsubscribe.

--
*v/r,
                Tom Panfil

On 3/10/14 6:46 PM, Peter Junge wrote:

> To my experience --being a moderator for a couple of years-- one of
> the most common mistakes is that subscribers are trying to remove
> themselves with a different email address but the one that is
> subscribed to the list.
>
> On 11/03/14 06:25, Shari wrote:
>> It's simple to be removed, however not by sending in an email requesting
>> it. As it says at the bottom of every email. Just click the email
>> address and send from the address you're receiving the emails to, and it
>> should happen automatically.
>>
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:[hidden email]
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Shari

Re: AMAZING -- Case of Subscription via a Remailer Address [was: Re: Removing yourself from the list :)]

Tubular
Thank you, Tom for the insight; however, if these people cannot send
email from these type of email addresses, how did they get on the list
to start with?

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: AMAZING -- Case of Subscription via a Remailer Address [was: Re: Removing yourself from the list :)]

Tom Panfil
Hi Tubular,

Well, I just inspected headers and see that I had fooled myself. My
original subscription request was:

     Body:       Hello,     Subscribe [hidden email]

My reply to the "confirm subscribe to [hidden email]"  was:

     Body:       Hi, I do want to subscribe to the ooo-users mailing list,
                    BUT I would prefer that my mail be set to my
Reply-To Address: [hidden email]
                    Rather than to my From Address: [hidden email]

The resulting WELCOME message said in part:

      Acknowledgment: I have added the address
             [hidden email]
       to the ooo-users mailing list.
       Welcome to [hidden email]!
       Please save this message so that you know the address you are
       subscribed under, in case you later want to unsubscribe or change
your
       subscription address.

So, my attempt to con the list server to use my IEEE Remailer address
failed.

It looks like people are not allowed to subscribe via their preferred
remailer addresses.

You must have actually been seeing people writing from ISP supplied
addresses other than the ISP provided addresses from which they subscribed.

You must be right -- Maybe some others have been under the same
misconception which I just aired.  Maybe this will help them.

v/r,

Tom

On 3/10/14 10:57 PM, Tubular wrote:

> [...]
>> are subscribed with a Remailer Address.  That address from which they
>> are send is different from the address which is subscribed
>>
>> I recommend that some mechanism be established for such subscribers
>> to take action to be removed from OpenOffice Apache lists.  The
>> instructions they need should be provided in the footer with the
>> other three instructions.
>>
>> I can't imagine that *no* developers and maintainers of OpenOffice
>> know of Remailer Addresses.  How could this problem have festered so
>> long?   Does the project cadre really not know about Remailer
>> Addresses?   If you can maintain Apache projects you must be able to
>> understand this dilemma now that I have explained it somewhat
>> clearly, I think.
>>
>> Note that I am subscribed via an IEEE Remailer address.
>>
>> I'd no doubt have the same problem which these other poor souls have

             H: 301.498.7313
             C: 301.741.3637
******************************************** *

Re: AMAZING -- Case of Subscription via a Remailer Address [was: Re: Removing yourself from the list :)]

Tubular
Howdy, Tom

I am an elderly person in the category of being too old to be creating
web pages - a very nice gentleman created a template and is on the ready
if I run into major trouble such as the site crashing.   This kind man
moved me from depending on Dreamweaver to editing code in a note pad
type product.

Back to OO - your explanation made sense until I saw the inability to
send from the remailer subscribed email address.  When I subscribed to
the list, I didn't have options . . . clicked the link and I was added.

What does v/r mean?

What does IMHO mean?

Just saw someone is requesting a change of email address - doesn't that
require unsubscribing from the original email address then
re-subscribing with the new one?  Darn, I just opened another can of worms.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: AMAZING -- Case of Subscription via a Remailer Address [was: Re: Removing yourself from the list :)]

James Plante
FYI, I get many messages from this list that do not have the "unsubscribe" footer. Don't know what's up with that, and since I don't want to unsubscribe, I don't care.

Thought you might find the info handy for troubleshooting.

Jim

On Mar 10, 2014, at 10:42 PM, Tom Panfil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> I can't imagine that *no* developers and maintainers of OpenOffice know of Remailer Addresses.  How could this problem have festered so long?   Does the project cadre really not know about Remailer Addresses?   If you can maintain Apache projects you must be able to understand this dilemma now that I have explained it somewhat clearly, I think.
>>>
>>> Note that I am subscribed via an IEEE Remailer address.
>>>
>>> I'd no doubt have the same problem which these other poor souls have if I'd try to unsubscribe.
>>>

>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.

> *v/r,
>               Tom Panfil
>           eBureaucrat (Ret.)
>            H: 301.498.7313
>            C: 301.741.3637

Re: AMAZING -- Case of Subscription via a Remailer Address [was: Re: Removing yourself from the list :)]

Andrea Pescetti-2
Tom Panfil wrote:
> I've seen too many
> requests sent to the lists from people who want to unsubscribe.  I
> assume that something is finally done administratively to unsubscribe
> their addresses since they eventually stop pestering.

Moderators often step in without spamming the whole list with this. But
(as the "help" message says: you all can get it as explained in the
footer) if someone is trying to unsubscribe and experiences problems he
should contact directly the moderators at
users-owner(AT)openoffice.apache.org
They will work with you to help you unsubscribe. Complaining to the
whole mailing list will only annoy some hundreds people.

> Many people who are members of ACM or IEEE or other professional
> associations register using a Remailer Address

This was already discussed, but, as you already found out, this is not
an issue with these lists.

Regards,
   Andrea.

On 3/11/14 12:54 AM, Tubular wrote:
> Howdy, Tom
Hello Tubular,

> Back to OO - your explanation made sense until I saw the inability to
> send from the remailer subscribed email address.  When I subscribed to
> the list, I didn't have options . . . clicked the link and I was added.

I had thought that I'd succeeded in registering to use my IEEE Remailer
address, but in fact I now think that my requests were not considered by
the automated subscription system, and I was thus subscribed via my ISP
provided E-Mail address.  I was not able to find any option.

I do suggest that the subscription instructions (I forget where they
are) should make it absolutely clear to prospective new subscribers that
the only way to subscribe for mail to be sent to an e-mail address is to
send one's subscription request directly from that address.  The
Confirmation E-Mail message should emphatically state that the required
reply to the message it will be processed automatically, and that any
request for something special, particularly use of one's Remailer E-Mail
address, will be ignored without consideration.
> What does v/r mean?
Very respectfully

> What does IMHO mean?
In my humble opinion

My thanks for your service.

Tom

Re: AMAZING -- Case of Subscription via a Remailer Address [was: Re: Removing yourself from the list :)]

upscope-2

On Monday, March 10, 2014 10:12:06 PM Tom Panfil wrote:
[snip]

> Hello OpenOffice Apache Moderators,
>
> I don't want to unsubscribe from any of the three project lists to
> which I subscribe (users, dev, api)  but like you,  I've seen too
> many requests sent to the lists from people who want to unsubscribe.
> I assume that something is finally done administratively to
> unsubscribe their addresses since they eventually stop pestering.
>
> Many people who are members of ACM or IEEE or other professional
> associations register using a Remailer Address serviced by the
> organization.  The use of a Remailer Address enables provision of at
[/snip]

Another area I found to be a real pain on most mailing lists. To
unsubscribe you must do it from the address you originally scribed from.

That means you have to it before you change ISP's. I ran into this when
I moved 250 miles from my old ISP. Not knowing new ISP at that time, I
could not log on and change addresses and could not unsubscribe old
address. Old location was DSL, new one was  100 Mbit/s fiber optic.

be nice if you could specify old log-in address in the unsubscribe
message.

Russ
--
openSUSE 13.1(Linux 3.11.10-7-desktop x86_64|
Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz|8GB DDR3|

Re: AMAZING -- Case of Subscription via a Remailer Address [was: Re: Removing yourself from the list :)]

James Knott
upscope wrote:
> Another area I found to be a real pain on most mailing lists. To
> unsubscribe you must do it from the address you originally scribed from.
>
> That means you have to it before you change ISP's. I ran into this when
> I moved 250 miles from my old ISP. Not knowing new ISP at that time, I
> could not log on and change addresses and could not unsubscribe old
> address. Old location was DSL, new one was  100 Mbit/s fiber optic.

Just resubscribe from your new address.  When the old account is closed,
the messages will be rejected and the list should then stop sending to
that old address.

Re: AMAZING -- Case of Subscription via a Remailer Address [was: Re: Removing yourself from the list :)]

Fernando Cassia
On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Tom Panfil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> These people *cannot* send from their Remailer Addresses.

They do, if they use GMail SMTP servers which allow setting up "aliases"
for sending email.

FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: AMAZING -- Case of Subscription via a Remailer Address [was: Re: Removing yourself from the list :)]

Rob Weir
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Fernando Cassia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Tom Panfil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> These people *cannot* send from their Remailer Addresses.
>

> They do, if they use GMail SMTP servers which allow setting up "aliases"
> for sending email.

And remember, Moderators are generally happy to help users unsubscribe
if they run into actual technical difficulties.  One way they can
indicate they are running into problems would be to send a note that
says something like:

1) I tried to unsubscribe

2) Here is the command I sent

3) Here is the error message I received back

-Rob

> FC
>
> --
> During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary
> act
> Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
> Revolucionario
> - George Orwell

Re: AMAZING -- Case of Subscription via a Remailer Address [was: Re: Removing yourself from the list :)]

Andrew Pitonyak

On 03/11/2014 12:54 AM, Tubular wrote:

> Back to OO - your explanation made sense until I saw the inability to
> send from the remailer subscribed email address.  When I subscribed to
> the list, I didn't have options . . . clicked the link and I was added.

I have had it happen, but it is an unusual case not likely seen by a
normal user. It had to do with a custom server being improperly
configured and then later the incorrect user names being fixed. Based on
who owned the email domain, emails subscribed with a specific email
address (different name) continued to be received properly, but it was
no longer possible to use that name for outgoing email. Odd case.

> What does v/r mean?

Very Respectfully

> What does IMHO mean?

In My Humble Opinion

> Just saw someone is requesting a change of email address - doesn't
> that require unsubscribing from the original email address then
> re-subscribing with the new one?  Darn, I just opened another can of
> worms.

I believe you to be correct.

--
Andrew Pitonyak