It Is Time for Me to Generate an Updated Telephone-Addressbook

It Is Time for Me to Generate an Updated Telephone-Addressbook

Vince@Gmail

Hi:

I am staying at home and have time on my hands, so I think this might be
a good time to generate an updated telephone/address book in a PC format.

Can anyone suggest a "relatively" simple database template for tracking
Names, Postal Addresses, Telephone numbers-House, Telephone
numbers-Cell, Telephone numbers-Businesses, Medical offices' data, etc?

I started by exporting my Contacts from the GMAIL website for my one
@gmail.com email account, and have that data now on my WIN10-x64 desktop
PC as a .CSV file (to Excel).  I also plan to eventually enter the data
from a paper telephone/address book into a database.  I am not certain
which to use, (vers 4.1.5) AOO-Calc or AOO-Base.  I also have Libre
Office (Version: 6.3.4.2 (x64)
Build ID: 60da17e045e08f1793c57c00ba83cdfce946d0aa) installed, but am
even less skilled with its operation.

 1. Should I go with AOO-Calc or attempt to learn more about AOO-Base
    for this project?
 2. Any suggestion for a template file would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading this.

Regards and stay safe,

VinceB.

Re: It Is Time for Me to Generate an Updated Telephone-Addressbook

David Belina-2
A database is probably overkill unless you are trying to take an attribute/column that has a one-to-many relationship to an individual (person has many, many phone number or a company has many, many rmployees with many, many  different addresses or phone number or bosses or subordinates, i.e. a directory for all IBM employee’s (100,000 or 300,000 different entries).

Decide what you want to track, name the columns/fields in the order of what you think you would search on and build a Calc spreadsheet.  Name the columns with meaningful labels.

On April 17, 2020 at 2:59:55 PM, Vince@GMAIL ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

Peter Kovacs-3

I would say it depends what your goal is.

Is it a simple Address List, then Calc is the way to go. Do you want to
do complex stuff with the List then you may want to consider a database
approach and look if you base is sufficient.

I would personally install locally an Email App and use the build in
Address book (maybe Thunderbird?). If you configure to sync Google then
you have an easy job syncing the Addresses between your PC, Google and
even to an Android Smart phone will be simple. And you can then maintain
your address List on your phone. This works for me.

All the Best

Peter

Am 17.04.20 um 22:34 schrieb Vince@GMAIL:

> Hi:
>
> I am staying at home and have time on my hands, so I think this might
> be a good time to generate an updated telephone/address book in a PC
> format.
>
> Can anyone suggest a "relatively" simple database template for
> tracking Names, Postal Addresses, Telephone numbers-House, Telephone
> numbers-Cell, Telephone numbers-Businesses, Medical offices' data, etc?
>
> I started by exporting my Contacts from the GMAIL website for my one
> @gmail.com email account, and have that data now on my WIN10-x64
> desktop PC as a .CSV file (to Excel).  I also plan to eventually enter
> the data from a paper telephone/address book into a database.  I am
> not certain which to use, (vers 4.1.5) AOO-Calc or AOO-Base.  I also
> have Libre Office (Version: 6.3.4.2 (x64)
> Build ID: 60da17e045e08f1793c57c00ba83cdfce946d0aa) installed, but am
> even less skilled with its operation.
>
> 1. Should I go with AOO-Calc or attempt to learn more about AOO-Base
>    for this project?
> 2. Any suggestion for a template file would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks for reading this.
>
> Regards and stay safe,
>
> VinceB.

Re: It Is Time for Me to Generate an Updated Telephone-Addressbook

Dan Lewis
As you are not subscribed to this mailing list, you will not see all of
the replies. So, I have copied Peter's response for you to see below my
remarks. Also, do not reply directly to me for information: send it to
[hidden email].

If you are comfortable in using Thunderbird as you data source, you can
fill in the information that you want to have in it. Then you can use
Base to connect to it creating Thunderbird.odb. When you open this file
you will have all of the information that is in Thunderbird's Address
Book at your finger tips. Both AOO and LIbreOffice will open this file.

Important: Any changes you want to make in the address information has
to be made in the Thunderbird Address Book. Base only shows the
information that is contained in this address book. However, you can
still create queries, forms, and reports using this information. This
opens up all kinds of ways to work with this information. If, for
example, you wanted to send a single email to several different people
at one time, this can be done by AOO or LibreOffice. It is called mail
merge. Just some thoughts.

Dan

Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]>

Hi,

On 4/17/20 16:34, Vince@GMAIL wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am staying at home and have time on my hands, so I think this might
> be a good time to generate an updated telephone/address book in a PC
> format.
>
> Can anyone suggest a "relatively" simple database template for
> tracking Names, Postal Addresses, Telephone numbers-House, Telephone
> numbers-Cell, Telephone numbers-Businesses, Medical offices' data, etc?
>
> I started by exporting my Contacts from the GMAIL website for my one
> @gmail.com email account, and have that data now on my WIN10-x64
> desktop PC as a .CSV file (to Excel).  I also plan to eventually enter
> the data from a paper telephone/address book into a database.  I am
> not certain which to use, (vers 4.1.5) AOO-Calc or AOO-Base.  I also
> have Libre Office (Version: 6.3.4.2 (x64)
> Build ID: 60da17e045e08f1793c57c00ba83cdfce946d0aa) installed, but am
> even less skilled with its operation.
>
> 1. Should I go with AOO-Calc or attempt to learn more about AOO-Base
>    for this project?
> 2. Any suggestion for a template file would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks for reading this.
>
> Regards and stay safe,
>
> VinceB.

Re: It Is Time for Me to Generate an Updated Telephone-Addressbook

WA.TWORSX via AOL-2

My thanks to Dan and Pete for both of their comments I find very
interesting.

I did not know that TB's address book could be used as the source
database.  Am I correct in thinking that my GOOGLE Contacts list could
also serve as a database ?

I have been trying to keep my TB address book up to date as well as my
GOOGLE's Contacts list, and to keep both of those in sync. Can those,
both, be used simultaneously as data sources?

I suppose that I should register my GMAIL email address with this AOO
Email List, because I keep forgetting that it is my @verizon.net that is
already registered.

TNX and, please, everyone stay safe!

VinceB.