Java 1.6

Jim Jagielski
The requirement for Java6 is fast becoming a major hurdle... does anyone have the history and background on why we *require* that?

Re: Java 1.6

Matthias Seidel
Where is it required?

Am 05.12.20 um 21:20 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> The requirement for Java6 is fast becoming a major hurdle... does anyone have the history and background on why we *require* that?

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Java 1.6

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello

As I remember, Java 1.6 was the last version for Mac directly from
Apple. After then you have to use Java from Oracle at Mac too.

Kind regards

Mechtilde

> Where is it required?
>
> Am 05.12.20 um 21:20 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> The requirement for Java6 is fast becoming a major hurdle... does anyone have the history and background on why we *require* that?

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows und OS/2
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: Java 1.6

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2020-12-05 2:20 p.m., Jim Jagielski wrote:
> The requirement for Java6 is fast becoming a major hurdle... does anyone have the history and background on why we *require* that?

Due to a bug in Java, Java7 & Java8 would not work in OpenOffice unless the legacy Java6 from
Apple was also installed.

Java9 and newer work without Java6 being installed.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Java 1.6

Jim Jagielski

> On Dec 5, 2020, at 6:05 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2020-12-05 2:20 p.m., Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> The requirement for Java6 is fast becoming a major hurdle... does anyone have the history and background on why we *require* that?
>
> Due to a bug in Java, Java7 & Java8 would not work in OpenOffice unless the legacy Java6 from Apple was also installed.

Do we know, or have some idea, where in AOO that bug exhibits itself...?

> Java9 and newer work without Java6 being installed.

Oh, that is good to know. I didn't realize that. Is that automatic? I mean if JAVA_HOME is set to Java9 or later and AOO is opened, does it no longer throw up that "legacy Java6" window?

Re: Java 1.6

Matthias Seidel
Hi Jim,

Am 06.12.20 um 16:15 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>> On Dec 5, 2020, at 6:05 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 2020-12-05 2:20 p.m., Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> The requirement for Java6 is fast becoming a major hurdle... does anyone have the history and background on why we *require* that?
>> Due to a bug in Java, Java7 & Java8 would not work in OpenOffice unless the legacy Java6 from Apple was also installed.
> Do we know, or have some idea, where in AOO that bug exhibits itself...?
>
>> Java9 and newer work without Java6 being installed.
> Oh, that is good to know. I didn't realize that. Is that automatic? I mean if JAVA_HOME is set to Java9 or later and AOO is opened, does it no longer throw up that "legacy Java6" window?
At least no problem with AdoptOpenJDK 11

Didn't try with AdoptOpenJDK 8...

Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Java 1.6

Matthias Seidel

> Hi Jim,
>
> Am 06.12.20 um 16:15 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>>> Due to a bug in Java, Java7 & Java8 would not work in OpenOffice unless the legacy Java6 from Apple was also installed.
>> Do we know, or have some idea, where in AOO that bug exhibits itself...?
>>
>>> Java9 and newer work without Java6 being installed.
>> Oh, that is good to know. I didn't realize that. Is that automatic? I mean if JAVA_HOME is set to Java9 or later and AOO is opened, does it no longer throw up that "legacy Java6" window?
> At least no problem with AdoptOpenJDK 11
>
> Didn't try with AdoptOpenJDK 8...
Just tested with AdoptOpenJDK 8 [1] and AOO 4.1.8 on macOS Catalina.

It is discovered and functional without any Java6 installed (At least I
didn't install it...)

Regards,

   Matthias

[1] https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html