Keyboard shortcuts etc...

Johnny Guitar
Hi!

I downloaded 2.0 today and the first thing I did was trying to change my
keyboard shortcuts (calc in this case). First I tried to right click on a
tool bar, like I used to with 1.1.5, but that didn't work, so I used the
tools menu instead. So far so good, or at least OK. Then I changed so that
Bold and Italic was assigned to Ctrl-F and Ctrl-K respectively ("Fet" and
"Kursiv" in Swedish). Since there is a conflict, because Ctrl-F means
"Search and Find", I changed the old Ctrl-F to Ctrl-B. Now I saved my
changes to a file (which seems to have no suffix...) and then I tried to
verify that my changings was done properly.

So I selected a cell and pressed Ctrl-F to make the text in it Bold (Fet),
but it wasn't. Then I pressed Ctrl-B and the text was bold. So what did I
do wrong? How can I save my changes? If not possible, what's the point?

Thanks in advance
--
Johnny

=)

Re: Keyboard shortcuts etc...

Terry North
Johnny Guitar <johnny.guitar <at> telia.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I downloaded 2.0 today and the first thing I did was trying to change my
> keyboard shortcuts (calc in this case). ... Then I changed so that
> Bold and Italic was assigned to Ctrl-F and Ctrl-K respectively ("Fet" and
> "Kursiv" in Swedish). Since there is a conflict, because Ctrl-F means
> "Search and Find", I changed the old Ctrl-F to Ctrl-B. Now I saved my
> changes to a file (which seems to have no suffix...) and then I tried to
> verify that my changings was done properly.
>
> So I selected a cell and pressed Ctrl-F to make the text in it Bold (Fet),
> but it wasn't. Then I pressed Ctrl-B and the text was bold. So what did I
> do wrong? How can I save my changes? If not possible, what's the point?

Perhaps you should try again.  I just succeeded in saving keyboard changes as a
file (it is saved as a zipped archive in Linux) and getting Ctrl+F to make the
contents of a cell bold (and reverse).  Did you delete the old Ctrl+B setting?

Re: Re: Keyboard shortcuts etc...

Johnny Andersson-2
Ok, I'll try again and I will do it as I write this reply:

First I create a new calc document.
In A1 I type some text, in this case the word "test".
Now I select A1 and press ctrl-b. A1 is bold. Ctrl-b again and A1 is
"normal" again.
Pressing ctrl-F now opens the Search & Replace dialog. I press close to
close it.

Tools - Customize... - Keyboard

By the way, it's a great thing that I now can change the language of the
user interface, since I normally use the Swedish version of Open Office.

I click the OpenOffice.org radio button, then I set the following:

Ctrl+B = Find & Replace
Ctrl+F = Nothing

Now I click the Calc radio button, then the OpenOffice.org radio button
again.

I scroll down and find that the settings are now:

Ctrl+B = Nothing
Ctrl+F = Find & ReplaceNothing

So obviously I need to save my settings first.

OK, maybe that's what I was doing wrong last time I tried to do this. So
let's start all over again:

Ctrl+B = Find & Replace
Ctrl+F = Nothing

Save...

Filnamn: Inst?llningar OpenOffice

Clicking the Save button.

I am back to the Customize dialog so just for testing I click Reset. Then
Load...

I select Configuration in the file format field. No files are now shown at
all. When I saved my settings earlier, should I have named my file with a
suffix, and in that case, which one?

Now I select All files (*.*) and I can now see my file, named
Inst?llningar OpenOffice. Inst?llningar means settings, in case you
wonder...

I select my settings file and click Open.

Now I have the followng settings:

Ctrl+B = Nothing
Ctrl+F = Nothing

Inow scrolling up and down, only to find that nothing is assigned to
anything...

So what now?

On this PC Windows XP is installed and I installed OOo 2.0 English
version, then the Swedish language pack found at:

http://oootranslation.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/2.0.0rc2/

Ok, I'll try another way to do it right now. Follow me...

Tools - Customize... - Keyboard

OpenOffice.org radio button, then:

Ctrl+B = Find & Replace
Ctrl+F = Nothing

OK button.

Tools - Customize... - Keyboard

Calc radio button, then:

Ctrl+B = Nothing
Ctrl+F = Bold
Ctrl+K = Italic
Ctrl+I = Nothing

OK button.

Now everything seems to work. What should I try now? Closing OpenOffice
and restart it again? Ok, why not... I'll do that right away.

It asks me if I want to save my file and I just click discard.

Now I restart OpenOffice calc with no file opened. It seems to work. I
still have the following keyboard shortcuts:

Ctrl+B = Find & Replace
Ctrl+F = Bold
Ctrl+I = Nothing
Ctrl+K = Italic

This is great, but still, isn't the behaviour described above a bit
strange anyway?

I will now try to save my settings to a file.

Tools - Customize... - Keyboard

Save...
File name = "Inst?llningar OpenOffice"
Save

Let's see what happens now, if we reset everything. I found that the reset
button only works for the selected "application" (in this case
"OpenOffice.org" or "Calc"). I select one of them, reset, then the other
one and then reset again. The settings are now:

Ctrl+B = Bold
Ctrl+F = Find & Replace
Ctrl+I = Italic
Ctrl+K = Nothing

Maybe I should press OK now? I'll do that, don't worry.

The settings above are now verified, so lets try to load my settings which
I saved as "Inst?llningar OpenOffice" just a short moment ago.

Tools - Customize... - Keyboard

Load...
Again, when selecting "Configuration" in the File format field, no files
are shown, so I reselect All files (*.*), then I select my file
"Inst?llningar OpenOffice", then I hit Open.

This time every shortcut key for Calc was assigned to nothing and the
OpenOffice.org shortcut keys was not affected at all, maybe because the
Calc radio button was selected.

Just for fun I now select the OpenOffice.org radio button and then I Load
the "Inst?llningar OpenOffice" file again, and yes, now everything is
assigned to nothing...

My final test will now be to follow the instructions above for
OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 so I can see if I get the same result as I just got
with 2.0.

Ok, done... the result was not the same as with 2.0. I can save and load
my settings without a problem, as long as I realize that I have to save
the Calc settings and the OpenOffice.org settings in different files, and
I think I have to have the right radio button selected for the file I am

So my conclusions about 2.0 are:
1. Saving and loading keyboard settings does not work...
2. Configuration files does not have a suffix...?? In the save dialog,
when selecting the file type "Configuration", no files are shown at all,
so "All files (*.*)" must be selected (1.1.5 is the same in this case).
3. If a configuration file is loaded, every shortcut key will be cleared
(assigned to nothing) for the application selected (OpenOffice.org/Calc in
this case).

Can anyone else test this to verify if something is wrong with my
installation or if this is a general misbehaviour?

Thanks in advance

Johnny

Den 2005-11-15 11:04:12 skrev Terry North <[hidden email]>:

> Johnny Guitar <johnny.guitar <at> telia.com> writes:
>

>> Hi!
>>
>> I downloaded 2.0 today and the first thing I did was trying to change my
>> keyboard shortcuts (calc in this case). ... Then I changed so that
>> Bold and Italic was assigned to Ctrl-F and Ctrl-K respectively ("Fet"
>> and
>> "Kursiv" in Swedish). Since there is a conflict, because Ctrl-F means
>> "Search and Find", I changed the old Ctrl-F to Ctrl-B. Now I saved my
>> changes to a file (which seems to have no suffix...) and then I tried to
>> verify that my changings was done properly.
>>
>> So I selected a cell and pressed Ctrl-F to make the text in it Bold
>> (Fet),
>> but it wasn't. Then I pressed Ctrl-B and the text was bold. So what did
>> do wrong? How can I save my changes? If not possible, what's the point?
>
> Perhaps you should try again.  I just succeeded in saving keyboard
> changes as a
> file (it is saved as a zipped archive in Linux) and getting Ctrl+F to
> make the
> contents of a cell bold (and reverse).  Did you delete the old Ctrl+B
> setting?

Re: Keyboard shortcuts - loading config file erases settings

Terry North
Johnny.1966 <johnny.1966 <at> telia.com> writes:
...[Snipped]

> I select my settings file and click Open.
>
> Now I have the followng settings:
>
> Ctrl+B = Nothing
> Ctrl+F = Nothing
>
> Inow scrolling up and down, only to find that nothing is assigned to
> anything...

...[snipped]

> The settings above are now verified, so lets try to load my settings which
> I saved as "Inst�llningar OpenOffice" just a short moment ago.
>
> Tools - Customize... - Keyboard
>
> Load...
> Again, when selecting "Configuration" in the File format field, no files
> are shown, so I reselect All files (*.*), then I select my file
> "Inst�llningar OpenOffice", then I hit Open.
>
> This time every shortcut key for Calc was assigned to nothing and the
> OpenOffice.org shortcut keys was not affected at all, maybe because the
> Calc radio button was selected.
>
> Just for fun I now select the OpenOffice.org radio button and then I Load
> the "Inst�llningar OpenOffice" file again, and yes, now everything is
> assigned to nothing...
...[Snipped]

> So my conclusions about 2.0 are:
> 1. Saving and loading keyboard settings does not work...
> 2. Configuration files does not have a suffix...?? In the save dialog,
> when selecting the file type "Configuration", no files are shown at all,
> so "All files (*.*)" must be selected (1.1.5 is the same in this case).
> 3. If a configuration file is loaded, every shortcut key will be cleared
> (assigned to nothing) for the application selected (OpenOffice.org/Calc in
> this case).
>
> Can anyone else test this to verify if something is wrong with my
> installation or if this is a general misbehaviour?
...[Snipped]
I have just loaded a keyboard config file - all settings for keyboard shortcuts
are erased.  I have Mandrake Linux.  Do you want to file this as an issue?  If
so, publish the issue number and I'll vote for it.  For the time being, I
suggest you simply customize the settings without saving and loading - I have
not found that to be necessary.  For some time now, I have been using my setting
of "Home" instead of "Ctrl-Home" and "End" instead of "Ctrl-End" - both without
saving and re-loading.  Cheers, Terry.

Re: Re: Keyboard shortcuts - loading config file erases settings

Johnny Andersson-2
The issue number is 58096.