Koders - code search for OOo

Jorn K Teutloff
OpenOffice Developers:

Koders has provided a free, searchable index of OpenOffice code for sometime
at our website, http://www.koders.com <http://www.koders.com/> .  We are now
striving to enhance the free service to the OpenOffice developer community
by:

  - improving the frequency of updates and metadata we maintain on
OpenOffice.org hosted projects

  - enable project-specific code search directly on the OpenOffice.org site

We have simple interfaces to implement a free repository and/or project
level code search into the OpenOffice.org site, and are working with Louis
on this integration.

If you are an existing Koders user and would like to see better integration
into the OpenOffice.org site, your feedback to this post would be helpful.

If you like to see how the search might be integrated, you can check out
these existing search-integrated sites:

NovellForge:

http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/cvs/cvspage.php/mbloggy/

RubyForge:

http://rubyforge.org/scm/?group_id=35

Lastly, if you'd like to assist with this or a more sophisticated
integration, please let us know that as well.

We're looking forward to working with the OpenOffice.org team on this
project.

Thanks,

Koders

Re: Koders - code search for OOo

Pavel Janík
[ Please reply to the list only. ]

   From: "Jorn K Teutloff" <[hidden email]>
   Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:54:05 -0800

Hi,

   > OpenOffice Developers:

please use the term "OpenOffice.org" when referring to our project. Use it
also inside your web service.

   > Koders has provided a free, searchable index of OpenOffice code for

Is there a statement like "this will be free forever or we will release the
source code for the tooling" or something like that? Can we implement the
service on our servers for free?

But otherwise, your site could be very useful. Unfortunately not clean
usage conditions prevent me from using it.
--
Pavel Jan?k

You know, there are several things any hotblooded man (or woman) should
have done in his life: skydive, climb mt. everest, and build
OOo from scratch ;-)
                  -- Martijn Dekkers <[hidden email]>

RE: Koders - code search for OOo

Jorn K Teutloff
Thank you for your note, Pavel.  Yes, the code-search feature will be free
of charge to OpenOffice.org, and there are no plans to charge for this
service in the future.

Could you elaborate a little about what you mean when you say that "usage
conditions" prevent you from using Koders.com?

Jorn

please use the term "OpenOffice.org" when referring to our project. Use it
also inside your web service.

   > Koders has provided a free, searchable index of OpenOffice code for

Is there a statement like "this will be free forever or we will release the
source code for the tooling" or something like that? Can we implement the
service on our servers for free?

But otherwise, your site could be very useful. Unfortunately not clean
usage conditions prevent me from using it.
--
Pavel Janík

You know, there are several things any hotblooded man (or woman) should
have done in his life: skydive, climb mt. everest, and build
OOo from scratch ;-)
                  -- Martijn Dekkers <[hidden email]>

RE: Koders - code search for OOo

Jim Watson
Quoting Jorn K Teutloff <[hidden email]>:

> Thank you for your note, Pavel.  Yes, the code-search feature will be free
> of charge to OpenOffice.org, and there are no plans to charge for this
> service in the future.
>
> Could you elaborate a little about what you mean when you say that "usage
> conditions" prevent you from using Koders.com?

I dont speak for Pavel but for myself, I see the website says

"By using Koders's search engine or other Koders services ("Koders Services"),
you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions (the "Terms of
Service").
"The Koders Services are made available for your personal, non-commercial use only.
"We reserve the right to modify these Terms of Service from time to time without
notice
"These Terms of Service constitute the entire agreement between the parties w

Such things are best avoided...

thanks

Jim

RE: Koders - code search for OOo

Jorn K Teutloff
Thanks Jim - great input. We never meant to limit the use of code found on
Koders.com, but I see how the verbiage might be interpreted as such.  We
will get this reworded asap.

Jorn

Quoting Jorn K Teutloff <[hidden email]>:

> Thank you for your note, Pavel.  Yes, the code-search feature will be free
> of charge to OpenOffice.org, and there are no plans to charge for this
> service in the future.
>
> Could you elaborate a little about what you mean when you say that "usage
> conditions" prevent you from using Koders.com?

I dont speak for Pavel but for myself, I see the website says

"By using Koders's search engine or other Koders services ("Koders
Services"),
you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions (the "Terms of
Service").
"The Koders Services are made available for your personal, non-commercial
use only.
"We reserve the right to modify these Terms of Service from time to time
without
notice
"These Terms of Service constitute the entire agreement between the parties

Such things are best avoided...

thanks

Jim

RE: Koders - code search for OOo

Jim Watson
Quoting Jorn K Teutloff <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks Jim - great input. We never meant to limit the use of code found on
> Koders.com, but I see how the verbiage might be interpreted as such.  We
> will get this reworded asap.

Jorn,

I did not see any problem about use of code found on the site, as that depends
on the code.

The problem for me is that the use of the "services" is limited and the claim
that use creates an agreement.

jim

RE: Koders - code search for OOo

Jim Watson
Quoting Jorn K Teutloff <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks Jim - great input. We never meant to limit the use of code found on
> Koders.com, but I see how the verbiage might be interpreted as such.  We
> will get this reworded asap.
> I dont speak for Pavel but for myself, I see the website says
>
> "By using Koders's search engine or other Koders services ("Koders
> Services"),
> you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions (the "Terms of
> Service").
> "The Koders Services are made available for your personal, non-commercial
> use only.

to be fair, the terms are quite similar to those of google,

"The Google Services are made available for your personal, non-commercial use only"

I suppose the real position is that everyone ignores such terms and do not
intend to enter any agreement anyway jsut by usinga website, and it is not
enforceable, but why is it there...?

And the openoffice.org website has a pile of conditions too, although I can not
see a limitation on use, it is mostly unintelligible mumbo jumbo...

I fear we are now off-topic for this list

jim

   From: "Jorn K Teutloff" <[hidden email]>
   Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:20:02 -0800

   > Thank you for your note, Pavel.  Yes, the code-search feature will be
   > free of charge to OpenOffice.org, and there are no plans to charge for
   > this service in the future.

You take the other approach. My question was if I as an end user can use
your tool. Not that you will index OOo.

You forgot to answer this:

   > Is there a statement like "this will be free forever or we will
   > release the source code for the tooling" or something like that? Can
   > we implement the service on our servers for free?

Can we implement the system on our servers so we do not depend on your
infrastructure?
--
Pavel Jan?k

Avoid multiple exits from loops.
                  -- The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)

   From: "Jorn K Teutloff" <[hidden email]>
   Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:17:36 -0800

   > Thanks Jim - great input. We never meant to limit the use of code
   > found on Koders.com

Of course you can't limit the use of code found there, but you can limit
the use of your tool. And in fact, you do. You limit its usage for
commercial purposes. Thus you limit the freedom of your users. As Jim said,
I have chosen to ignore your service because there already are many things
that limit my freedom. I do not want to add another one.

I'll continue to use remote http://ooo.ximian.com/lxr/ and local grep -r
instead.
--
Pavel Jan?k

... he would have a
better chance to make money by investing his savings in lottery tickets
than in his ventures ...
                  -- Andrea Arcangeli about "someone" from LKML

Re: Koders - code search for OOo

Andrew Pitonyak
Jim Watson wrote:

>Quoting Jorn K Teutloff <[hidden email]>:
>

>>Thank you for your note, Pavel.  Yes, the code-search feature will be free
>>of charge to OpenOffice.org, and there are no plans to charge for this
>>service in the future.
>>
>>Could you elaborate a little about what you mean when you say that "usage
>>conditions" prevent you from using Koders.com?
>>

>I dont speak for Pavel but for myself, I see the website says
>
>"By using Koders's search engine or other Koders services ("Koders Services"),
>you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions (the "Terms of
>Service").
>"The Koders Services are made available for your personal, non-commercial use only.
>"We reserve the right to modify these Terms of Service from time to time without
>notice
>"These Terms of Service constitute the entire agreement between the parties w
>
>Such things are best avoided...
>
>thanks
>
>Jim

So if I make money with OOo then I can not use the Koders service?

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Book: http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm