LOST FILES

edward difranco

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
I WAS USING MY OPEN OFFICE AND MY COMPUTER CRASHED.  WHEN I GOT BACK ON LINE, I WENT BACK TO OPEN OFFICE AND ALL MY FILES WERE
GONE.  IS THERE ANY WAY TO RETRIEVE MY FILES??????

Re: LOST FILES

Martin Groenescheij

On 28/8/18 8:52 am, edward difranco wrote:

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
> I WAS USING MY OPEN OFFICE AND MY COMPUTER CRASHED.
Because your computer crashed and not OpenOffice you need to find the
solution within
the file system of your Operating System.
>    WHEN I GOT BACK ON LINE, I WENT BACK TO OPEN OFFICE AND ALL MY FILES WERE
> GONE.
OpenOffice only maintain your document as long as you have it open in
OpenOffice, after
that it's your Operating System.
>    IS THERE ANY WAY TO RETRIEVE MY FILES??????
Yes there is a way, use the file manager of your Operating System.
Because you didn't tell what you have done o bring your computer back on
line it's hard to
tell what to do.
Did you for example have to reinstall your Operating System and or
OpenOffice?

Re: LOST FILES

Rory O'Farrell
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 17:52:27 -0500
edward difranco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
> I WAS USING MY OPEN OFFICE AND MY COMPUTER CRASHED.  WHEN I GOT BACK ON LINE, I WENT BACK TO OPEN OFFICE AND ALL MY FILES WERE
> GONE.  IS THERE ANY WAY TO RETRIEVE MY FILES??????

If you mean that the documents no longer show on OpenOffice's /File /Recent Documents menu item, this is only a shortcut to the documents on your computer. For whatever reason - usually an improper close down of OpenOffice, perhaps caused by a Windows 10 upgrade forcing itself on your computer - this shortcut list has been damaged/erased; fortunately the documents on this list should still exist in whatever location they were saved on your computer.

It should be possible to start OpenOffice (perhaps by an entry on the Programs button?) then use the navigation buttons on the /File /Open dialog to navigate to the locations in which the files were saved.  As you Open each of these files in /File /Open, they will once again appear on Recent Documents.

It is unfortunately the case that any documents open at the time of such a forced Windows upgrade may be damaged, usually beyond repair.  Use the methods in this Tutorial - How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038]
to attempt to find and recover such damaged files.

If you are not familiar with computers, seek local informed help as soon as possible to employ the above methods and tutorial.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>