Labels

Jacquetta Ellinger
I’m not a programmer/developer but I’m pretty competent at using software, however, OpenOffice is too tough.  I like it generally, I like the concept of it, but every time I try to do something new, I spend hours first searching out instructions, then trying them, having them not work, trying again, having them not work - that is files crashing and virtually wasting my life away.  Today, I cannot get OO to create a database from a spreadsheet I’ve created so I can print a lousy 100 mailing labels.  I could have had half of them written by hand by now.  I’m going to have to buy Word and I hate that.

Re: Labels

Wade Smart-2
Ok.

Nice rant.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 5:05 PM Jacquetta Ellinger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m not a programmer/developer but I’m pretty competent at using software, however, OpenOffice is too tough.  I like it generally, I like the concept of it, but every time I try to do something new, I spend hours first searching out instructions, then trying them, having them not work, trying again, having them not work - that is files crashing and virtually wasting my life away.  Today, I cannot get OO to create a database from a spreadsheet I’ve created so I can print a lousy 100 mailing labels.  I could have had half of them written by hand by now.  I’m going to have to buy Word and I hate that.

Re: Labels

Alan Pearce-2
No, I can't  get on with mail  merge either. Why does it have to be so complicated?

From: Wade Smart <[hidden email]>
Date: 14/12/2019  23:07  (GMT+00:00)
To: [hidden email], Jacquetta Ellinger <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Labels

Ok.Nice rant.-- Registered Linux User: #480675Registered Linux Machine: #408606Linux since June 2005On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 5:05 PM Jacquetta Ellinger<[hidden email]> wrote:>> I’m not a programmer/developer but I’m pretty competent at using software, however, OpenOffice is too tough.  I like it generally, I like the concept of it, but every time I try to do something new, I spend hours first searching out instructions, then trying them, having them not work, trying again, having them not work - that is files crashing and virtually wasting my life away.  Today, I cannot get OO to create a database from a spreadsheet I’ve created so I can print a lousy 100 mailing labels.  I could have had half of them written by hand by now.  I’m going to have to buy Word and I hate that.> ---------------------------------------------------------------------> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]>---------------------------------------------------------------------To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email] additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Labels

Martin Groenescheij

On 14/12/2019 23:22, Jacquetta Ellinger wrote:
> I’m not a programmer/developer but I’m pretty competent at using software, however, OpenOffice is too tough.  I like it generally, I like the concept of it, but every time I try to do something new, I spend hours first searching out instructions, then trying them, having them not work, trying again, having them not work - that is files crashing and virtually wasting my life away.  Today, I cannot get OO to create a database from a spreadsheet I’ve created so I can print a lousy 100 mailing labels.

First open a new or existing Text document.
Now use the Mail Merge Wizard under the Tools menu
At Step 3 Select a Different Address List which open a menu with
existing databases.
Click add and browse to the spreadsheet with your addresses and select
the Tab with the data.
Now your spreadsheet is registered as a database.
The rest is business as usual.

>    I could have had half of them written by hand by now.  I’m going to have to buy Word and I hate that.

Re: Labels

Jean Lear
I would not condem OpenOffice because of a problem with doing a mail
merge.  I have been doing two mail merges every month from a Spreadsheet
for years. One is for an insert for the mailing of a magazine and one is
for use with a window face envelope. The references I used when I first
started to do this are too old to refer to now (Page not found etc) but the
manual for OpenOffice Writer (Chapter 11) gives instructions and a Google
search gives text and video help. Not all things one tries to use a
computer for work as expected as some times my mail merge goes like a
breeze and then for some unknown reason next month they do not and I have
to resort to a work around.  Experience with working on a computer will
find there is often more than one way to get the result wanted.
Jean