Language code for Ukrainian?

Matthias Seidel
Hello all,

since we have some new volunteers for the Ukrainian language on l10n@ I
am wondering why our homepage for Ukrainian links to "ua" [1] and not to
uk (or uk-UA)? In our source the translation file for Ukrainian resides
in "uk" [2]

The page itself isn't translated yet, so at this early stage we could
easily switch to another subdirectory and redirect users automatically.

Kind regards, Matthias

[1] https://www.openoffice.org/ua/
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/source/uk/

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Dave Fisher
Hi -

On Jan 5, 2018, at 8:26 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello all,

since we have some new volunteers for the Ukrainian language on l10n@ I
am wondering why our homepage for Ukrainian links to "ua" [1] and not to
uk (or uk-UA)? In our source the translation file for Ukrainian resides
in "uk" [2]

I’m not sure why either. I took a look at the scripts used to do the migration and setup the redirections from Oracle Kenai and I used uk at the time, but it was empty. I did massive amounts of work in that 48 hours and somehow there was ambiguity. If the you want to switch the site that is fine.

Take a look here [3] You can see that script accepting both codes.

The page itself isn't translated yet, so at this early stage we could
easily switch to another subdirectory and redirect users automatically.

Yes

Regards,
Dave

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Marcus (OOo)

> since we have some new volunteers for the Ukrainian language on l10n@ I
> am wondering why our homepage for Ukrainian links to "ua" [1] and not to
> uk (or uk-UA)? In our source the translation file for Ukrainian resides
> in "uk" [2]

OpenOffice is using standards and for language codes it's ISO 639-1 [1].

And please take into account that it's about codes that represent
*languages* and not countries. This don't need to be the same (e.g.,
think of "uk" for United Kingdom and "en-GB" for British English). ;-)

Wikipedia shows the same difference: country = "ua" [2] and language =
"uk" [3].

I think that means we should change the code for the website.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language

Marcus

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Matthias Seidel
Hi Marcus,

Am 05.01.2018 um 21:19 schrieb Marcus:

>> since we have some new volunteers for the Ukrainian language on l10n@ I
>> am wondering why our homepage for Ukrainian links to "ua" [1] and not to
>> uk (or uk-UA)? In our source the translation file for Ukrainian resides
>> in "uk" [2]
>
> OpenOffice is using standards and for language codes it's ISO 639-1 [1].
>
> And please take into account that it's about codes that represent
> *languages* and not countries. This don't need to be the same (e.g.,
> think of "uk" for United Kingdom and "en-GB" for British English). ;-)
>
> Wikipedia shows the same difference: country = "ua" [2] and language =
> "uk" [3].
So it is more like "dk" for Denmark and "da" for Danish...

> I think that means we should change the code for the website.

Thanks for the facts! ;-)

Matthias

> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine
> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language
>
> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Matthias Seidel
The Ukrainian homepage is now at:
https://www.openoffice.org/uk/

I will monitor our page with our Google Search Console. If any broken
links to /ua appear I can create a redirection.

Regards, Matthias

Am 05.01.2018 um 21:19 schrieb Marcus:

>> since we have some new volunteers for the Ukrainian language on l10n@ I
>> am wondering why our homepage for Ukrainian links to "ua" [1] and not to
>> uk (or uk-UA)? In our source the translation file for Ukrainian resides
>> in "uk" [2]
>
> OpenOffice is using standards and for language codes it's ISO 639-1 [1].
>
> And please take into account that it's about codes that represent
> *languages* and not countries. This don't need to be the same (e.g.,
> think of "uk" for United Kingdom and "en-GB" for British English). ;-)
>
> Wikipedia shows the same difference: country = "ua" [2] and language =
> "uk" [3].
>
> I think that means we should change the code for the website.
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine
> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language
>
> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Dave Fisher
Did you modify Lang-detect.js?

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 6, 2018, at 9:40 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The Ukrainian homepage is now at:
> https://www.openoffice.org/uk/
>
> I will monitor our page with our Google Search Console. If any broken
> links to /ua appear I can create a redirection.
>
> Regards, Matthias
>

>> Am 05.01.2018 um 21:19 schrieb Marcus:
>>> Am 05.01.2018 um 17:26 schrieb Matthias Seidel:
>>>
>>> since we have some new volunteers for the Ukrainian language on l10n@ I
>>> am wondering why our homepage for Ukrainian links to "ua" [1] and not to
>>> uk (or uk-UA)? In our source the translation file for Ukrainian resides
>>> in "uk" [2]
>>
>> OpenOffice is using standards and for language codes it's ISO 639-1 [1].
>>
>> And please take into account that it's about codes that represent
>> *languages* and not countries. This don't need to be the same (e.g.,
>> think of "uk" for United Kingdom and "en-GB" for British English). ;-)
>>
>> Wikipedia shows the same difference: country = "ua" [2] and language =
>> "uk" [3].
>>
>> I think that means we should change the code for the website.
>>
>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes
>> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine
>> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language
>>
>> Marcus

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Matthias Seidel
I have done it now, it is still staged:
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/branding/scripts/lang-detect.js

Can you have a look?

Regards, Matthias

Am 06.01.2018 um 18:55 schrieb Dave Fisher:

> Did you modify Lang-detect.js?
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 6, 2018, at 9:40 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The Ukrainian homepage is now at:
>> https://www.openoffice.org/uk/
>>
>> I will monitor our page with our Google Search Console. If any broken
>> links to /ua appear I can create a redirection.
>>
>> Regards, Matthias

>>> OpenOffice is using standards and for language codes it's ISO 639-1 [1].
>>>
>>> And please take into account that it's about codes that represent
>>> *languages* and not countries. This don't need to be the same (e.g.,
>>> think of "uk" for United Kingdom and "en-GB" for British English). ;-)
>>>
>>> Wikipedia shows the same difference: country = "ua" [2] and language =
>>> "uk" [3].
>>>
>>> I think that means we should change the code for the website.
>>>
>>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes
>>> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine
>>> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language
>>>
>>> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Dave Fisher
Hi -

I think the ‘ua’ case should still be tested and the langcode = ‘uk’ statement be included. This is in case ‘ua’ appears from somewhere.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 6, 2018, at 10:12 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have done it now, it is still staged:
> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/branding/scripts/lang-detect.js
>
> Can you have a look?
>
> Regards, Matthias
>

>> Am 06.01.2018 um 18:55 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> Did you modify Lang-detect.js?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jan 6, 2018, at 9:40 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Ukrainian homepage is now at:
>>> https://www.openoffice.org/uk/
>>>
>>> I will monitor our page with our Google Search Console. If any broken
>>> links to /ua appear I can create a redirection.
>>>
>>> Regards, Matthias

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Matthias Seidel
Hi,

I think "ua" is not a language code, it could only be used together with
"uk" as "uk-UA"

But it surely doesn't hurt if we include it... ;-)

Regards, Matthias

Am 06.01.2018 um 19:36 schrieb Dave Fisher:

> Hi -
>
> I think the ‘ua’ case should still be tested and the langcode = ‘uk’ statement be included. This is in case ‘ua’ appears from somewhere.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 6, 2018, at 10:12 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have done it now, it is still staged:
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/branding/scripts/lang-detect.js
>>
>> Can you have a look?
>>
>> Regards, Matthias
>>

>>> Am 06.01.2018 um 18:55 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>> Did you modify Lang-detect.js?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Patricia Shanahan
It could hurt if "ua" were assigned as a language code in the future.

On 1/6/2018 11:28 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think "ua" is not a language code, it could only be used together with
> "uk" as "uk-UA"
>
> But it surely doesn't hurt if we include it... ;-)
>
> Regards, Matthias
>

> Am 06.01.2018 um 19:36 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> Hi -
>>
>> I think the ‘ua’ case should still be tested and the langcode = ‘uk’ statement be included. This is in case ‘ua’ appears from somewhere.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jan 6, 2018, at 10:12 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have done it now, it is still staged:
>>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/branding/scripts/lang-detect.js
>>>
>>> Can you have a look?
>>>
>>> Regards, Matthias

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Dave Fisher
In that case we would have to change Lang-detect.js for the name of that language.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 6, 2018, at 11:52 AM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It could hurt if "ua" were assigned as a language code in the future.
>
>> On 1/6/2018 11:28 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I think "ua" is not a language code, it could only be used together with
>> "uk" as "uk-UA"
>> But it surely doesn't hurt if we include it... ;-)
>> Regards, Matthias
>>> Am 06.01.2018 um 19:36 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> I think the ‘ua’ case should still be tested and the langcode = ‘uk’ statement be included. This is in case ‘ua’ appears from somewhere.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 05/01/2018 Marcus wrote:
>> why our homepage for Ukrainian links to "ua" [1] and not to
>> uk (or uk-UA)?
> same difference: country = "ua" [2] and language = "uk" [3].

Probably the project was setup (at the time) with a wrong convention
that indeed mixed up countries and languages. It is absolutely correct
to switch to "uk" and redirect "ua" (for a reasonable period of time at
least) to it.

Regards,
   Andrea.