LanguageTool 0.9.3 with on-the-fly checking in OpenOffice.org

LanguageTool 0.9.3 with on-the-fly checking in OpenOffice.org

Daniel Naber-9
Hi,

we've just released LanguageTool 0.9.3 at http://www.languagetool.org. It's
the first version of LanguageTool that makes use of the new grammar
checker API in OOo 3.0. That means you'll get blue underlines while typing
if LanguageTool detects a possible error in your text. You can then use
the context menu to get a description and often a correction.

For those that already know or use LanguageTool, the complete change log is
available at http://www.languagetool.org/download/CHANGES.txt

Please give the new version a try and let us know how it works.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: LanguageTool 0.9.3 with on-the-fly checking in OpenOffice.org

thomas.lange

Hi all,

Daniel Naber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we've just released LanguageTool 0.9.3 at http://www.languagetool.org. It's
> the first version of LanguageTool that makes use of the new grammar
> checker API in OOo 3.0. That means you'll get blue underlines while typing
> if LanguageTool detects a possible error in your text. You can then use
> the context menu to get a description and often a correction.
>
> For those that already know or use LanguageTool, the complete change log is
> available at http://www.languagetool.org/download/CHANGES.txt
>
> Please give the new version a try and let us know how it works.
>
> Regards
>  Daniel

Keep in mind though that the grammar checking framework in OOo is still
in development. That is you may run into some bugs, yet missing
functionality or inconveniences.
Still it is already usable, and in order to get everything right in OOo
3.01 please give it a try and report problems you encounter!

The respective spec can be found here
http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/linguistic/Spelling_and_Grammar.odt
It is not yet finished/correct in all details and thus some changes will
still be made. But it gives the correct idead of what it should be like.

Thanks in advance!
Thomas

Re: LanguageTool 0.9.3 with on-the-fly checking in OpenOffice.org

Дмитрий Габинский
Saluton!

Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:11:42 +0200, Daniel Naber <[hidden email]>
skribis:

> Please give the new version a try and let us know how it works.

Should anything be reported here? Anyway, I'm happy to report that this
build does work with OOo 3.0 beta. And unhappy to report, it produced a
wrong suggestion for Russian: it detected an error in a standard for office
speak phrase “во исполнение”.

Thanks and keep up with good work!

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski

Re: LanguageTool 0.9.3 with on-the-fly checking in OpenOffice.org

Дмитрий Габинский

> Should anything be reported here? Anyway, I'm happy to report that this
>build does work with OOo 3.0 beta.

…Windows XP/JRE 1.6.0_05 (sorry, should have mentioned that in the previous
message). Gonna give it a try in Linux :-)

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski

Re: LanguageTool 0.9.3 with on-the-fly checking in OpenOffice.org

Marcin Miłkowski
Dmitri Gabinski pisze:

> Saluton!
>
> Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:11:42 +0200, Daniel Naber
> <[hidden email]> skribis:
>
>> Please give the new version a try and let us know how it works.
>
> Should anything be reported here? Anyway, I'm happy to report that this
> build does work with OOo 3.0 beta. And unhappy to report, it produced a
> wrong suggestion for Russian: it detected an error in a standard for
> office speak phrase “во исполнение”.

The suggestions in LanguageTool are not anything to be reported against
OOo, it's our fault :)

You can report false alarms and test existing (or try building new)
rules on our community website: community.languagetool.org. It tests
rules against Wikipedia content (or user content) in various languages
and allows for some basic editing. You can also directly contact the
language maintainer. In this case, it is Yakov Reztsov.

Please send all reports about bugs the LanguageTool to our mailing list
([hidden email]), our bug tracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=655717&group_id=110216&func=browse.

The input from translators and other language professionals is
particularly valuable to us, so if you want to contribute, don't
hesitate! :)

Best regards,
Marcin

Re: LanguageTool 0.9.3 with on-the-fly checking in OpenOffice.org

Németh László-2
Hi Daniel,

Congratulations! Very nice work.

It is possible to add LanguageTool to the installation sets and ask users
about it's optional installation:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_Integration_into_Installation_Set

The aim is the default grammar checker in OpenOffice.org, and this
integration (maybe only in the snapshot builds before the final grammar
checker API) would be a big help in the grammar checker development. I
strongly suggest to inform also the native language projects about your
results and the integration facilities.

Best regards,
Laci

On Montag, 11. August 2008, Németh László wrote:

> It is possible to add LanguageTool to the installation sets and ask
> users about it's optional installation:

Hi Laci,

I think LanguageTool and the grammar checker API are not ready yet to be
integrated by default. Also, this would add another 10 MB to OOo.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de