Letter page size in Writer sidebar

123

Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

While working on the Writer sidebar I discovered that page size "Letter"
and "Legal" have no graphic like e.g. "A4".
Unfortunately there is not much space, so I would like to abbreviate
Letter with Ltr (and Legal with Lgl):

https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/Letter%20size.pdf

As a non native speaking person I would like to hear some opinions about
that.

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Michele Denber
On 02-05-2020 4:03 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> While working on the Writer sidebar I discovered that page size "Letter"
> and "Legal" have no graphic like e.g. "A4".
> Unfortunately there is not much space, so I would like to abbreviate
> Letter with Ltr (and Legal with Lgl):
>
> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/Letter%20size.pdf
>
> As a non native speaking person I would like to hear some opinions about
> that.
As a native English speaking person, I'd have no problem with that. I
think anyone would understand the intended meaning.

             - Michele

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

F Campos Costero
As a native English speaker, I also have no problem with those
abbreviations. In that context, there  are not many other words that could
be there, so it is very easy to understand the meaning.
Francis

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 3:02 PM Michele Denber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02-05-2020 4:03 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > While working on the Writer sidebar I discovered that page size "Letter"
> > and "Legal" have no graphic like e.g. "A4".
> > Unfortunately there is not much space, so I would like to abbreviate
> > Letter with Ltr (and Legal with Lgl):
> >
> > https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/Letter%20size.pdf
> >
> > As a non native speaking person I would like to hear some opinions about
> > that.
> As a native English speaking person, I'd have no problem with that. I
> think anyone would understand the intended meaning.
>
>              - Michele

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Matthias Seidel
Hi Michelle,

Am 05.02.20 um 23:02 schrieb Michele Denber:

> On 02-05-2020 4:03 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> While working on the Writer sidebar I discovered that page size "Letter"
>> and "Legal" have no graphic like e.g. "A4".
>> Unfortunately there is not much space, so I would like to abbreviate
>> Letter with Ltr (and Legal with Lgl):
>>
>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/Letter%20size.pdf
>>
>> As a non native speaking person I would like to hear some opinions about
>> that.
> As a native English speaking person, I'd have no problem with that. I
> think anyone would understand the intended meaning.
Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated!

I have seen LTR on paper trays for printers.
As space is limited I did hope that it would still be understandable.

I would like to get that into the next version...

Regards,

   Matthias

>             - Michele

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Matthias Seidel
Hi Francis,

Am 05.02.20 um 23:58 schrieb F C. Costero:
> As a native English speaker, I also have no problem with those
> abbreviations. In that context, there  are not many other words that could
> be there, so it is very easy to understand the meaning.
> Francis

Thanks, this is exactly what I thought...

Regards,

   Matthias

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 3:02 PM Michele Denber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 02-05-2020 4:03 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> While working on the Writer sidebar I discovered that page size "Letter"
>>> and "Legal" have no graphic like e.g. "A4".
>>> Unfortunately there is not much space, so I would like to abbreviate
>>> Letter with Ltr (and Legal with Lgl):
>>>
>>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/Letter%20size.pdf
>>>
>>> As a non native speaking person I would like to hear some opinions about
>>> that.
>> As a native English speaking person, I'd have no problem with that. I
>> think anyone would understand the intended meaning.
>>
>>              - Michele

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Pedro Albuquerque-2

Why not just place that on a tooltip? If I'm seeing this right, it's what
happens with 'Envelope C5':
https://web.tresorit.com/l#zjwQyTYwMcJQ0JXGWvhnmA

Besides, I think the size would also fit on the available space...

Regards,
Pedro

Em 05/02/2020 às 21:03, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> escreveu:

>Hi all,
>
>While working on the Writer sidebar I discovered that page size "Letter"
>and "Legal" have no graphic like e.g. "A4".
>Unfortunately there is not much space, so I would like to abbreviate
>Letter with Ltr (and Legal with Lgl):
>
>https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/Letter%20size.pdf
>
>As a non native speaking person I would like to hear some opinions about
>that.
>
>Regards,
>
>   Matthias

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Matthias Seidel
Hi Pedro,

Am 06.02.20 um 07:57 schrieb Pedro Albuquerque:
> Hi,
>
> Why not just place that on a tooltip? If I'm seeing this right, it's what
> happens with 'Envelope C5':
> https://web.tresorit.com/l#zjwQyTYwMcJQ0JXGWvhnmA

This is what already happens with Letter and Legal...

But that's not the point I am talking about...
(Just look at my linked PDF)

> Besides, I think the size would also fit on the available space...

Try it and post a mockup. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
> Pedro
>

> Em 05/02/2020 às 21:03, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> While working on the Writer sidebar I discovered that page size "Letter"
>> and "Legal" have no graphic like e.g. "A4".
>> Unfortunately there is not much space, so I would like to abbreviate
>> Letter with Ltr (and Legal with Lgl):
>>
>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/Letter%20size.pdf
>>
>> As a non native speaking person I would like to hear some opinions about
>> that.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re[2]: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Pedro Albuquerque-2
Hi Mathias,

I see what you mean, I wasn't looking at the 'icons'. Thank you.

Regards,
Pedro A.

escreveu:

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> While working on the Writer sidebar I discovered that page size "Letter"
>>> and "Legal" have no graphic like e.g. "A4".
>>> Unfortunately there is not much space, so I would like to abbreviate
>>> Letter with Ltr (and Legal with Lgl):
>>>
>>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/Letter%20size.pdf
>>>
>>> As a non native speaking person I would like to hear some opinions about
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Matthias Seidel
Hi Pedro,

The main "problem" was that in localizations with Letter as default we
only had a blank page there.

Since I already reworked all graphics this is a small enhancement "on top".
In fact I have everything ready and plan to commit it tomorrow (on all
branches).

As usual I will do test builds for Windows in the following days.

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 06.02.20 um 17:30 schrieb Pedro Albuquerque:

> Hi Mathias,
>
> I see what you mean, I wasn't looking at the 'icons'. Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Pedro A.
>
> Em 06/02/2020 às 11:59, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>> Hi Pedro,
>>
>> Am 06.02.20 um 07:57 schrieb Pedro Albuquerque:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Why not just place that on a tooltip? If I'm seeing this right, it's what
>>> happens with 'Envelope C5':
>>> https://web.tresorit.com/l#zjwQyTYwMcJQ0JXGWvhnmA
>> This is what already happens with Letter and Legal...
>>
>> But that's not the point I am talking about...
>> (Just look at my linked PDF)
>>
>>> Besides, I think the size would also fit on the available space...
>> Try it and post a mockup. ;-)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Pedro

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Kay Schenk-2

On 2/5/20 2:59 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Michelle,
>
> Am 05.02.20 um 23:02 schrieb Michele Denber:
>> On 02-05-2020 4:03 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> While working on the Writer sidebar I discovered that page size "Letter"
>>> and "Legal" have no graphic like e.g. "A4".
>>> Unfortunately there is not much space, so I would like to abbreviate
>>> Letter with Ltr (and Legal with Lgl):
>>>
>>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/Letter%20size.pdf
>>>
>>> As a non native speaking person I would like to hear some opinions about
>>> that.
>> As a native English speaking person, I'd have no problem with that. I
>> think anyone would understand the intended meaning.
> Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated!
>
> I have seen LTR on paper trays for printers.
> As space is limited I did hope that it would still be understandable.

Thanks for noticing this omission and proposing a correction. I think
LTR and LGL would be better than "Ltr" and "Lgl". I think the mixed case
may not be as clearly understood by some users.

-- Kay

> I would like to get that into the next version...
>
> Regards,
>
>     Matthias
>
>>              - Michele

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Matthias Seidel
Hi Kay,

Am 06.02.20 um 18:50 schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 2/5/20 2:59 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi Michelle,

>>> As a native English speaking person, I'd have no problem with that. I
>>> think anyone would understand the intended meaning.
>> Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated!
>>
>> I have seen LTR on paper trays for printers.
>> As space is limited I did hope that it would still be understandable.
>
> Thanks for noticing this omission and proposing a correction. I think
> LTR and LGL would be better than "Ltr" and "Lgl". I think the mixed
> case may not be as clearly understood by some users.
I second your thoughts, but there is not enough space for uppercase letters.
I tried it with reduced font size, but that does not produce better optic.

Regards,

   Matthias

> -- Kay
>

>> I would like to get that into the next version...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>     Matthias
>>
>>>              - Michele

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

Test builds for Windows (AOO418) are uploaded:

https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-418-Test/

Regards,

   Matthias

> Hi Kay,
>
> Am 06.02.20 um 18:50 schrieb Kay Schenk:
>> On 2/5/20 2:59 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>>> Hi Michelle,

>>> Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated!
>>>
>>> I have seen LTR on paper trays for printers.
>>> As space is limited I did hope that it would still be understandable.
>> Thanks for noticing this omission and proposing a correction. I think
>> LTR and LGL would be better than "Ltr" and "Lgl". I think the mixed
>> case may not be as clearly understood by some users.
> I second your thoughts, but there is not enough space for uppercase letters.
> I tried it with reduced font size, but that does not produce better optic.
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
>> -- Kay
>>
>>> I would like to get that into the next version...
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>     Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Matthias

Is that fix on the 4.2 branch?

Do you know if the 4.2 branch is synchronized with Pootle?

Is there any way to find out when a branch was last synchronized with Pootle for a given Language?

Thanks!

Regards,
Pedro

Am 08.02.20 um 15:29 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi Matthias
>
> Is that fix on the 4.2 branch?
Yes

> Do you know if the 4.2 branch is synchronized with Pootle?

Yes, I know. ;-)

But it isn't synchonized yet. Last weekend was FOSDEM in Brussels and
things had to wait a bit.

> Is there any way to find out when a branch was last synchronized with Pootle for a given Language?

Look at GitBox [1] or subscribe to [hidden email] [2]

You will never miss a commit again! ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

[1]
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=openoffice.git;a=log;h=refs/heads/AOO42X

> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Pedro
>
>> On February 8, 2020 11:26 AM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Test builds for Windows (AOO418) are uploaded:
>>
>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-418-Test/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias

>>> Hi Kay,

>>> I second your thoughts, but there is not enough space for uppercase letters.
>>> I tried it with reduced font size, but that does not produce better optic.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Matthias Seidel
Hi Pedro,

> Hi Pedro,
>
> Am 08.02.20 um 15:29 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>> Hi Matthias
>>
>> Is that fix on the 4.2 branch?
> Yes
>> Do you know if the 4.2 branch is synchronized with Pootle?
> Yes, I know. ;-)
>
> But it isn't synchonized yet. Last weekend was FOSDEM in Brussels and
> things had to wait a bit.
>
>> Is there any way to find out when a branch was last synchronized with Pootle for a given Language?
Or even easier (since you are looking for the PT translation):

https://github.com/apache/openoffice/tree/trunk/extras/l10n/source/pt

Regards,

   Matthias

> Look at GitBox [1] or subscribe to [hidden email] [2]
>
> You will never miss a commit again! ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
> [1]
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=openoffice.git;a=log;h=refs/heads/AOO42X
>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pedro
>>
>>> On February 8, 2020 11:26 AM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Test builds for Windows (AOO418) are uploaded:
>>>
>>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-418-Test/
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Matthias

> Or even easier (since you are looking for the PT translation):
>
> https://github.com/apache/openoffice/tree/trunk/extras/l10n/source/pt

That is much better ;)

Thank you for the link!

Regards,
Pedro

Am 08.02.20 um 16:32 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi Matthias
>
>> Or even easier (since you are looking for the PT translation):
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/openoffice/tree/trunk/extras/l10n/source/pt
> That is much better ;)
>
> Thank you for the link!

You are welcome!

Now that we are on Git(Hub), things are a lot easier...

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
> Pedro

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello Pedro

Am 08.02.20 um 15:29 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi Matthias
>
> Is that fix on the 4.2 branch?
>
> Do you know if the 4.2 branch is synchronized with Pootle?

You can see it in the webfrontend.

I updated pootle 3 weeks ago. It can't be done automatically.

Kind regards

> Is there any way to find out when a branch was last synchronized with Pootle for a given Language?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

>> On February 8, 2020 11:26 AM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Test builds for Windows (AOO418) are uploaded:
>>
>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-418-Test/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias

>>> Hi Kay,

>>> I second your thoughts, but there is not enough space for uppercase letters.
>>> I tried it with reduced font size, but that does not produce better optic.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: Letter page size in Writer sidebar

Matthias Seidel
Hi Mechtilde,

Am 08.02.20 um 20:07 schrieb Mechtilde:

> Hello Pedro
>
> Am 08.02.20 um 15:29 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>> Hi Matthias
>>
>> Is that fix on the 4.2 branch?
>>
>> Do you know if the 4.2 branch is synchronized with Pootle?
> You can see it in the webfrontend.
>
> I updated pootle 3 weeks ago. It can't be done automatically.
Pedro didn't think of Pootle being synchronized with the branch.
He wanted to know if the translations are already exported back to the
branch...

Pedro is waiting for an updated Portuguese build! ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

> Kind regards
>

>> Is there any way to find out when a branch was last synchronized with Pootle for a given Language?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pedro
>
>>> On February 8, 2020 11:26 AM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Test builds for Windows (AOO418) are uploaded:
>>>
>>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-418-Test/
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Updated 4.2.0 build?

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Mechtilde

As Matthias mentioned we (Pedro Albuquerque and myself) would really like to run a build with the complete updated 4.2 Portuguese translation.
Would it be possible for you to commit an updated SDF for the Portuguese translation?
Alternatively please point me to a How-To so I can do it myself.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Pedro