Libre Office

12

Libre Office

John Gregson
What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?

J. Gregson

Re: Libre Office

Jim McLaughlin
Libre Office works.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM, John Gregson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?
>

> J. Gregson

Re: Libre Office

Matthias Seidel
So does OpenOffice.

Am 06.02.2017 um 20:59 schrieb Jim McLaughlin:

> Libre Office works.
>
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM, John Gregson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?
>>

>> J. Gregson
>> [hidden email]

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Libre Office

Jim McLaughlin
No, it doesn't.

OO is a  bad joke.  yaers and years with the same defects, unresolved.
Dictionary issues; shut down failures; us profile issues.  They continue
forever, and there is no resolution bu the project authors.

Bad joke.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> So does OpenOffice.
>

> Am 06.02.2017 um 20:59 schrieb Jim McLaughlin:
> > Libre Office works.
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM, John Gregson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?
> >>

> >> J. Gregson
> >> [hidden email]

Re: Libre Office

Matthias Seidel
You are talking nonsense.

As always...

Am 06.02.2017 um 21:09 schrieb Jim McLaughlin:

> No, it doesn't.
>
> OO is a  bad joke.  yaers and years with the same defects, unresolved.
> Dictionary issues; shut down failures; us profile issues.  They continue
> forever, and there is no resolution bu the project authors.
>
> Bad joke.
>
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>> So does OpenOffice.
>>

>> Am 06.02.2017 um 20:59 schrieb Jim McLaughlin:
>>> Libre Office works.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Libre Office

Vincent A. Juliano
No doubt that’s true for you but one chicken doesn’t make a flock.  Maybe if you really tried figure out how to make to go it’ll work out you. I’ve been using Oo since Oo2 and it still is the best around.  Sorry your chicken’s  a klutz instead of a leghorn..

Vincent Juliano
[hidden email]

wrote:

So does OpenOffice.

Am 06.02.2017 um 20:59 schrieb Jim McLaughlin:
Libre Office works.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM, John Gregson <[hidden email]> wrote:

What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?

J. Gregson

Re: Libre Office

Jim McLaughlin
Vinnie -

You and I have neen using OO since the same edition /ssue.

It has had the same flaws, faults and defects since then, without any appatent willingness of the developer to fix those flaws faults and defects.

Enough is enough.

Stop being a  turkey.

wrote:

So does OpenOffice.

Am 06.02.2017 um 20:59 schrieb Jim McLaughlin:
Libre Office works.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM, John Gregson <[hidden email]> wrote:

What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?

J. Gregson

Re: Libre Office

Matthias Seidel

Yes, enough is enough.

It is time for you to go to bed!

wrote:

So does OpenOffice.

Am 06.02.2017 um 20:59 schrieb Jim McLaughlin:
Libre Office works.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM, John Gregson <[hidden email]> wrote:

What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?

J. Gregson
[hidden email]

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Libre Office

Jim McLaughlin
Amazing Matthias.

I give you a  litany of the defects that have plagued OO since at least ver
2.0, unrepaired, and yourr response is personal perjorative insults.

So mature.

Your inability or unwillingness to discuss OO's defects is of course your
admission that my criticism of OO is accurate.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Yes, enough is enough.
>
> It is time for you to go to bed!
>
> Am 06.02.2017 um 21:36 schrieb Jim McLaughlin:
>
> Vinnie -
>
> You and I have neen using OO since the same edition /ssue.
>
> It has had the same flaws, faults and defects since then, without any
> appatent willingness of the developer to fix those flaws faults and defects.
>
> Enough is enough.
>
> Stop being a  turkey.
>
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Vincent A. Juliano <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> No doubt that’s true for you but one chicken doesn’t make a flock.  Maybe
>> if you really tried figure out how to make to go it’ll work out you. I’ve
>> been using Oo since Oo2 and it still is the best around.  Sorry your
>> chicken’s  a klutz instead of a leghorn..
>>
>> Vincent Juliano
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> On Feb 6, 2017, at 3:09 PM, Jim McLaughlin <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> No, it doesn't.
>>
>> OO is a  bad joke.  yaers and years with the same defects, unresolved.
>> Dictionary issues; shut down failures; us profile issues.  They continue
>> forever, and there is no resolution bu the project authors.
>>
>> Bad joke.
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Matthias Seidel <
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> wrote:
>>

>> So does OpenOffice.
>>

>> Am 06.02.2017 um 20:59 schrieb Jim McLaughlin:
>>
>> Libre Office works.
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM, John Gregson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?
>>

>> J. Gregson
>> [hidden email]

Re: Libre Office

Girvin Herr-2

On 02/06/2017 11:19 AM, John Gregson wrote:

> What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?
>

> J. Gregson
> [hidden email]

J.
This is an open question without knowing what you are specifically
looking for.
Both OpenOffice (AOO) and LibreOffice (LO) are very similar.  That is
because they both came from the same code base years ago when Sun
Microsystems gave their OpenOffice code to Apache (AOO) and the Open
Document Foundation (LO).  At the time, both organizations had an
agreement to share code changes with each other.  However, not too long
afterward, there was some sort of rift and that agreement was broken to
some extent.  As a result, both programs started to drift away from each
other as far as features go.  They both still are file-compatible with
the Open Document standards and can share documents between them without
much problem.

That is the overview, but I have some observations from my experience
which may be of help understanding the differences from my point of
view.  I have both AOO and LO installed in my Slackware Linux system and
use both, mainly because one does not have a feature I need and the
other does.  So I use the best tool for the job I have to do.

 1. AOO may not be as feature-rich (some would call it feature bloat) as
    LO, but what features are there seem to be a bit more stable than
    LO.  This is more of a feeling than a hard fact and I cannot point
    to any specific feature that supports it.

 2. AOO does not include a database report generator, which is crucial
    to my work.  You can create the database, but there is no way in AOO
    to print it out nicely.  LO does include a report generator and it
    works fine.

 3. LO does not restore a session properly, where AOO does.
    I like to keep several oft-used files open all the time.  I do not
    close these files before I shut down.  I expect these files to be
    reopened at startup the next time I use the system, so I don't have
    to manually open them all.  AOO does this properly. LO, from version
    4.x on, does not.

So, those are my observations.  None of these observations keep me from
using either one to do useful work.  As I said above, I use the best
tool for the job.

HTH.
Girvin Herr

Re: Libre Office

Vincent A. Juliano
Hey Mac,
Don’t get your nuts in an uproar.  If you’ve been using it for that period of time then you should know guys have been working on this FREE. Spending a lot of time trying always to make it better.  There is no owner here. The developers have been working throughout the entire time I’ve been with Oo.   GET your facts right!!!

Now if you’re saying it has flaws, ya damn right. Are they always trying to fix it? Again you’re damn right!  if you’re unhappy then leave it but don’t crap on it because in the long run people like you and me are free loaders.  Riding on the backs of guys who do this because they just like to.

And save us from buying a commercial program!  We are cheapskates!!! At least own up that your spittin in the wind!

Yes, it’s free! Yes it has flaws…..and most of all yes there are good souls out there who try to fix those flaws as they come up.  You’re unhappy?  Let me punch your card, give you a kiss on the forehead and push you over to Cuba libra or whatever it’s called and stop groan in’ n’ moanin over here.

Have a nice trip!

Vincent Juliano
[hidden email]

wrote:

So does OpenOffice.

Am 06.02.2017 um 20:59 schrieb Jim McLaughlin:
Libre Office works.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM, John Gregson <[hidden email]> wrote:

What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?

J. Gregson

Re: Libre Office

James Plante
I have both LO and AO, as well as NeoOffice for the Mac. Overall, I like Neo better  because its solo developer tends to business as quick as possible. And it’s a dandy program. Defects? Sure! But as I said, critical flaws are dealt with promptly. (And not that Neo is not free; Costs $30 or so on the App store.) Most of the stuff I can do in Neo can also be done in AO and LO, but I like Neo because of its Aqua (native) interface to the Mac. Fonts look better, as to icons and other things. But they appear to be functionally the same.

Thought I’d add to your comments a little:

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 2:42 PM, Girvin Herr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1. AOO may not be as feature-rich (some would call it feature bloat) as
>   LO, but what features are there seem to be a bit more stable than
>   LO.  This is more of a feeling than a hard fact and I cannot point
>   to any specific feature that supports it.
>
> 2. AOO does not include a database report generator, which is crucial
>   to my work.  You can create the database, but there is no way in AOO
>   to print it out nicely.  LO does include a report generator and it
>   works fine.
Are you sure it needs a report generator? Can you not open your database as a data source in Writer to produce reports? A report is really just a big, complex form letter.

> 3. LO does not restore a session properly, where AOO does.
>   I like to keep several oft-used files open all the time.  I do not
>   close these files before I shut down.  I expect these files to be
>   reopened at startup the next time I use the system, so I don't have
>   to manually open them all.  AOO does this properly. LO, from version
>   4.x on, does not.
Thank you, Girvin. You just gave me a useful idea.

Jim Plante

Re: Libre Office

Girvin Herr-2

On 02/06/2017 01:56 PM, James Plante wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 2:42 PM, Girvin Herr <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote
>>
>> 2. AOO does not include a database report generator, which is crucial
>>   to my work.  You can create the database, but there is no way in AOO
>>   to print it out nicely.  LO does include a report generator and it
>>   works fine.
> Are you sure it needs a report generator? Can you not open your
> database as a data source in Writer to produce reports? A report is
> really just a big, complex form letter.
Jim,
Umm.  I guess I will have to amend my "no way" to "no easy way". The
report generator does use either Writer or Calc to do the
formatting/printing.  However, I have spent a good amount of time
formatting my reports the way I want them.  To throw that out and start
over is not acceptable.  It is much easier to use LO when I need to
print a report.  I think I tried manually using writer for a report once
and the results were not pretty.  I admit I am not experienced in this
process but it seems it would take a lot of recurring work to format the
data in Writer for each table, of which I have many, and each update,
which are ongoing.  The Report Generator just makes it so much easier.
It is like a wizard for the data. Would you like to use writer to create
and maintain your forms?  You can, but that doesn't mean you should,
unless you are into pain.

>> 3. LO does not restore a session properly, where AOO does.
>>   I like to keep several oft-used files open all the time.  I do not
>>   close these files before I shut down.  I expect these files to be
>>   reopened at startup the next time I use the system, so I don't have
>>   to manually open them all.  AOO does this properly. LO, from version
>>   4.x on, does not.
> Thank you, Girvin. You just gave me a useful idea.
>
> Jim Plante
You're welcome.
Girvin

Re: Libre Office

Julian Thomas

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 16:56, James Plante <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have both LO and AO, as well as NeoOffice for the Mac.

The iWork suite [Pages - writer; Keynote - presenter, and Numbers - spreadsheet] work nicely for me on my Macs.  I use Keynote and Pages extensively; Numbers less frequently.

Advantages:
iOS versions that allow limited editing and writing functions
iCloud integration [and synch; I realize you can do this less automatically with dropbox]

Even: There aren't many functions that work in OO that don't have an equivalent in OO
Free.

Drawbacks: UI is sufficiently different from MSO/OO that it takes some getting used to.
No database capability.

----
Julian Thomas   - http://jt-mj.net

The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. - Albert Einstein

Re: Libre Office

jonathon-3
On 02/06/2017 07:19 PM, John Gregson wrote:
> What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?

Back in 2015 I addressed that question in my blog.
http://libreoffice-environment.blogspot.com/2015/03/libreoffice-or-apache-open-office.html

Were I writing that post today, the only addition I'd make is that
LibreOffice is more security qua TSCP BAILS focused.

Which one to use literally depends upon your specific use case.

jonathon

Re: Libre Office

James Plante
@Girvin,
The important thing is to get the work done; the tool is secondary. I agree with your decision, and you are correct: I once used NeoOffice to construct an entire six-page form (FNMA1004) for real estate appraisals that has a couple of hundred blanks to fill and boxes to check, one page with an imbedded spreadsheet. It worked fine, blood loss was manageable and the scars are almost invisible now :-)

@Julian,
I thought about using that iWork suite, and I have it. About all the activity it gets is regular updates in the background. The problem is that I write appraisal reports that run 100-200 pages long. They’re heavily cross-referenced, which can be done with ease in AOO and LO, but not easily if at all in Pages. The rest would work OK, but Pages lacks user fields, so when I type something that appears at several places in the report (e.g., report date), I type that one time and it propagates to the other fields in the report. Clients aren’t ever satisfied, and always want this or that included or left out, necessitating a change in report date. In Neo, I just enter the new date and I *know* it’s changed properly in all the places it is used.

The user field issue might be worked around by dropping in single cells from a spreadsheet, but like Girvin, I have a work flow that I’m happy with and would be loath to change.

Jim Plante

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 4:50 PM, Girvin Herr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 02/06/2017 01:56 PM, James Plante wrote:
>> On Feb 6, 2017, at 2:42 PM, Girvin Herr <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote
>>>
>>> 2. AOO does not include a database report generator, which is crucial
>>>  to my work.  You can create the database, but there is no way in AOO
>>>  to print it out nicely.  LO does include a report generator and it
>>>  works fine.
>> Are you sure it needs a report generator? Can you not open your database as a data source in Writer to produce reports? A report is really just a big, complex form letter.
> Jim,
> Umm.  I guess I will have to amend my "no way" to "no easy way". The report generator does use either Writer or Calc to do the formatting/printing.  However, I have spent a good amount of time formatting my reports the way I want them.  To throw that out and start over is not acceptable.  It is much easier to use LO when I need to print a report.  I think I tried manually using writer for a report once and the results were not pretty.  I admit I am not experienced in this process but it seems it would take a lot of recurring work to format the data in Writer for each table, of which I have many, and each update, which are ongoing.  The Report Generator just makes it so much easier.  It is like a wizard for the data. Would you like to use writer to create and maintain your forms?  You can, but that doesn't mean you should, unless you are into pain.
>>>
>>> 3. LO does not restore a session properly, where AOO does.
>>>  I like to keep several oft-used files open all the time.  I do not
>>>  close these files before I shut down.  I expect these files to be
>>>  reopened at startup the next time I use the system, so I don't have
>>>  to manually open them all.  AOO does this properly. LO, from version
>>>  4.x on, does not.
>> Thank you, Girvin. You just gave me a useful idea.
>>
>> Jim Plante
> You're welcome.
> Girvin

Re: Libre Office

jonathon-3
On 02/06/2017 09:56 PM, James Plante wrote:
> Overall, I like Neo better  because its solo developer tends to business as quick as possible.

I was under the impression that the developor had pretty much closed up
shop. The last time I went poking around that site, I didn't see any
indicators of paid support being available.

jonathon

Re: Libre Office

James Plante
Apparently not, Jonathon. Going to NeoWiki.neooffice.org <http://neowiki.neooffice.org/>, I find this at the bottom of the page:

If you purchased and installed NeoOffice 2015 <http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/El_Capitan_and_Sierra_Upgrade_Issues#Problems_after_upgrading_to_El_Capitan_or_Sierra.3F> and you find a bug, send us an e-mail <mailto:[hidden email]>. Please include any screen snapshots <https://support.apple.com/HT201361> that might help us see what you see on your computer.

The page was last updated 1/22/2017, and NeoOffice is still being maintained on the App Store.

Now, I have no idea what Patrick Luby has been up to. A few years back, I foolishly installed a new update to Neo while I was in the middle of a sixty-page report that had numerous photos imbedded. When I took a certain action (I don’t remember what it was) all the photos squished onto the last page and had to be redistributed through the text. I sent Patrick a bug report and the document. Ninety minutes later, he had a trial fix for me that worked. That’s pretty good tech support.

Moving forward in time, he started charging $100/year for tech support, and I quit going to the trinity forum more than a couple of times a year. You couldn’t post or comment unless you were paid up. Now I see that help is in a Wiki, and bug fixes are available through that e-mail link above, but no charge for bug fixes appears in the pages; maybe he’s back to doing it for free, and is relying on the App Store version to produce enough income to support this. I just don’t know.

How-to’s and other user support? We’re it, along with the OOo forum. Which is, I suppose, as it should be.

Jim Plante

> On Feb 8, 2017, at 6:29 AM, toki <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 02/06/2017 09:56 PM, James Plante wrote:
>> Overall, I like Neo better  because its solo developer tends to business as quick as possible.
>
> I was under the impression that the developor had pretty much closed up
> shop. The last time I went poking around that site, I didn't see any
> indicators of paid support being available.
>
> jonathon

Re: Libre Office

Johnny Rosenberg

> No, it doesn't.
>
> OO is a  bad joke.  yaers and years with the same defects, unresolved.
> Dictionary issues; shut down failures; us profile issues.  They continue
> forever, and there is no resolution bu the project authors.
>
> Bad joke.

That's true. Since I started using OpenOffice.org (1.0.3 I think) I
switched to LibreOffice when it was first released. Then it destroyed my
most important spreadsheet so bad that only Apache OpenOffice was able to
recover it, so I switched back to Apache OpenOffice. Unfortunately there
was too many bugs that made some of my spreadsheets almost impossible to
use, so once again I switched to LibreOffice which has a quite different
approach to Apache OpenOffice. Instead of keeping their old bugs forever
they introduce new interesting ones with every release. So I would say that
neither Apache OpenOffice nor LibreOffice work properly, at least not with
spreadsheets.

As some kind of reference I can mention that I use Excel at work (I can't
even install it at home since there doesn't seem to be a Linux version for
some reason), and even if I only used it for like a year now (Excel 2013),
I already found quite a lot of quite interesting bugs, forcing me into a
lot of workarounds all the time. And I also find the user interface quite
unusable. I seem to never being able to figure out where to find stuff, so
I often need to search the web for really simple things. On the positive
side I can mention the macro recorder which almost works now and then.
Sometimes I need to remove some lines to make the macro work when I
otherwise get an error message telling be that a command doesn't exist…
very funny indeed. A macro recorder that creates commands that doesn't
exist – hilarious…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Matthias Seidel <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > So does OpenOffice.
> >

> > Am 06.02.2017 um 20:59 schrieb Jim McLaughlin:
> > > Libre Office works.

Re: Libre Office

Julian Thomas

> On Feb 7, 2017, at 00:21, James Plante <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I thought about using that iWork suite, and I have it. About all the activity it gets is regular updates in the background.

Whatever works for one of us doesn't for the other.  I find these days I'm using writer 50% of the time and Pages 50%.  I use Keynote almost exclusively over Impress, but use Calc almost exclusively over Numbers.

----
Julian Thomas   - http://jt-mj.net

A man is like a fraction whose numerator is what he is and whose denominator is what he thinks of himself. The larger the denominator, the smaller the fraction. - Tolstoy

12