Quantcast

License status of code from forum.openoffice.org without headers

License status of code from forum.openoffice.org without headers

Carl Marcum
What is the license status of code available on the forums such as the
bootstrapconnector.jar file available on this page [1].

There are no license headers except for this example:

/**
  * A bootstrap connector which establishes a connection to an OOo server.
  *
  * Most of the source code in this class has been taken from the Java class
  * "Bootstrap.java" (Revision: 1.15) from the UDK projekt (Uno Software
Develop-
  * ment Kit) from OpenOffice.org (http://udk.openoffice.org/). The
source code
  * is available for example through a browser based online version control
  * access at http://udk.openoffice.org/source/browse/udk/. The Java class
  * "Bootstrap.java" is there available at
  *
http://udk.openoffice.org/source/browse/udk/javaunohelper/com/sun/star/comp/helper/Bootstrap.java?view=markup
  *
  * The idea to develop this BootstrapConnector comes from the blog "Getting
  * started with the OpenOffice.org API part III : starting
OpenOffice.org with
  * jars not in the OOo install dir by Wouter van Reeven"
  * (http://technology.amis.nl/blog/?p=1284) and from various posts in the
  * "(Unofficial) OpenOffice.org Forum" at http://www.oooforum.org/ and the
  * "OpenOffice.org Community Forum" at http://user.services.openoffice.org/
  * complaining about "no office executable found!".
  */

Can code like this be used as-is in an Apache project?

[1] https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2520

Thanks,
  Carl

Re: License status of code from forum.openoffice.org without headers

Carl Marcum
On 01/15/2016 07:20 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:

> What is the license status of code available on the forums such as the
> bootstrapconnector.jar file available on this page [1].
>
> There are no license headers except for this example:
>
> /**
>  * A bootstrap connector which establishes a connection to an OOo server.
>  *
>  * Most of the source code in this class has been taken from the Java
> class
>  * "Bootstrap.java" (Revision: 1.15) from the UDK projekt (Uno
> Software Develop-
>  * ment Kit) from OpenOffice.org (http://udk.openoffice.org/). The
> source code
>  * is available for example through a browser based online version
> control
>  * access at http://udk.openoffice.org/source/browse/udk/. The Java class
>  * "Bootstrap.java" is there available at
>  *
> http://udk.openoffice.org/source/browse/udk/javaunohelper/com/sun/star/comp/helper/Bootstrap.java?view=markup
>  *
>  * The idea to develop this BootstrapConnector comes from the blog
> "Getting
>  * started with the OpenOffice.org API part III : starting
> OpenOffice.org with
>  * jars not in the OOo install dir by Wouter van Reeven"
>  * (http://technology.amis.nl/blog/?p=1284) and from various posts in the
>  * "(Unofficial) OpenOffice.org Forum" at http://www.oooforum.org/ and
> the
>  * "OpenOffice.org Community Forum" at
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/
>  * complaining about "no office executable found!".
>  */
>
> Can code like this be used as-is in an Apache project?
>
> [1] https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2520
>
> Thanks,
>  Carl

I forgot to mention I tried the "Policies and Terms of Use" link on the
main page that linked to [2] and got  404 page not found.

[2] http://www.openoffice.org/terms_of_use

Re: License status of code from forum.openoffice.org without headers

Andrea Pescetti-2
Carl Marcum wrote:
> On 01/15/2016 07:20 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:
>> Can code like this be used as-is in an Apache project?
>> [1] https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2520

Your best option is probably to contact the author and ask him for
permission to use under the Apache License 2 the code he posted in forum
discussions. Failing that, it's hard to tell what license applies to
that code due to the several infrastructure and policy changes over the
last 8 years.

> I forgot to mention I tried the "Policies and Terms of Use" link on the
> main page that linked to [2] and got  404 page not found.
> [2] http://www.openoffice.org/terms_of_use

I think that page has moved to https://openoffice.apache.org/terms.html
; can somebody confirm it before we update the link in the Forum site
footer, please?

Regards,
   Andrea.

On 01/16/2016 04:43 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Carl Marcum wrote:
>> On 01/15/2016 07:20 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:
>>> Can code like this be used as-is in an Apache project?
>>> [1] https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2520
>
> Your best option is probably to contact the author and ask him for
> permission to use under the Apache License 2 the code he posted in
> forum discussions. Failing that, it's hard to tell what license
> applies to that code due to the several infrastructure and policy
> changes over the last 8 years.
>
>> I forgot to mention I tried the "Policies and Terms of Use" link on the
>> main page that linked to [2] and got  404 page not found.
>> [2] http://www.openoffice.org/terms_of_use
>
> I think that page has moved to
> https://openoffice.apache.org/terms.html ; can somebody confirm it
> before we update the link in the Forum site footer, please?
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Thanks Andrea,

I was able to contact the author and they were very gracious.  I have
been granted permission to use the code under the Apache 2.0 license.

Thanks,
Carl

Re: License status of code from forum.openoffice.org without headers

Hagar Delest-2
Le 16/01/2016 à 22:43, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :

> Carl Marcum wrote:
>> On 01/15/2016 07:20 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:
>>> Can code like this be used as-is in an Apache project?
>>> [1] https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2520
>
> Your best option is probably to contact the author and ask him for permission to use under the Apache License 2 the code he posted in forum discussions. Failing that, it's hard to tell what license applies to that code due to the several infrastructure and policy changes over the last 8 years.
>
>> I forgot to mention I tried the "Policies and Terms of Use" link on the
>> main page that linked to [2] and got  404 page not found.
>> [2] http://www.openoffice.org/terms_of_use
>
> I think that page has moved to https://openoffice.apache.org/terms.html ; can somebody confirm it before we update the link in the Forum site footer, please?
Old topic but this should be updated.
Could someone having the karma for the AOO Forum update the link?
Thanks

Hagar

Re: License status of code from forum.openoffice.org without headers

Matthias Seidel
Carl Marcum wrote:
[...]

Until someone fixes the link in the forum I can enable a redirection...
But maybe it should better be https://www.openoffice.org/license.html ?

There is already a redirection from 2012 https://www.openoffice.org/terms_of_use.html but it is not working, because the forum links to "/terms_of_use" instead to "/terms_of_use.html".

Regards, Matthias

Thanks

Hagar

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Le 10/05/2017 à 14:52, Matthias Seidel a écrit :
> Until someone fixes the link in the forum I can enable a redirection...
> But maybe it should better be https://www.openoffice.org/license.html ?
>
> There is already a redirection from 2012 https://www.openoffice.org/terms_of_use.html but it is not working, because the forum links to "/terms_of_use" instead to "/terms_of_use.html".
Good catch, I remember it was discussed a while ago but had missed that there was a glitch in the link.
Of course, it would be better if the link could be updated to the good one directly (https://www.openoffice.org/license.html).

Let's wait for someone who can do that (Andrea?).

Thanks,
Hagar

Re: License status of code from forum.openoffice.org without headers

Matthias Seidel
Until the link is fixed I activated the redirection.

I would also like to see the ASF logo updated in the forums...

Regards, Matthias

On 15/05/2017 Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Until the link is fixed I activated the redirection.

This is a bit problematic since it will likely require administrative
application access, which I don't have (I can of course obtain it
through command-line access, but since there is a workaround we won't
need it).

> I would also like to see the ASF logo updated in the forums...

Now fixed at, e.g., https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/ bottom left.
Those with access can see the relevant commits here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/machines/vms/ooo-forums.apache.org/

Regards,
   Andrea.

On 10/05/2017 Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Am 10.05.2017 um 13:32 schrieb Hagar Delest:
>> Le 16/01/2016 à 22:43, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :
>>> I think that page has moved to
>>> https://openoffice.apache.org/terms.html ; can somebody confirm it
>>> before we update the link in the Forum site footer, please?
>> Old topic but this should be updated.
>> Could someone having the karma for the AOO Forum update the link?
>
> Until someone fixes the link in the forum I can enable a redirection...
> But maybe it should better be https://www.openoffice.org/license.html ?

Coming back to this (I mean, the redirection is correct as a solution,
but I wonder why this target): isn't it better to redirect to

https://openoffice.apache.org/terms.html

as per original suggestion? The link is not supposed to explain the
OpenOffice software license, but the terms of use of the website, so
https://openoffice.apache.org/terms.html seems more appropriate than

Le 16/05/2017 à 23:05, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :
> Coming back to this (I mean, the redirection is correct as a solution, but I wonder why this target): isn't it better to redirect to
>
> https://openoffice.apache.org/terms.html
>
> as per original suggestion? The link is not supposed to explain the OpenOffice software license, but the terms of use of the website, so https://openoffice.apache.org/terms.html seems more appropriate than https://www.openoffice.org/license.html
+1.

Thanks Andrea for the logo, perfect!

Hagar

Re: License status of code from forum.openoffice.org without headers

Matthias Seidel
Hi Andrea,

I took the redirection from
"https://www.openoffice.org/terms_of_use.html", but your observation is