Licensing for College

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Licensing for College

Stevenson, Victoria

Hello,

 

We have 3 laptops that have been donated to our College.  We are writing to make sure Open Office can be used for education or business use without violating any licensing.

 

Please let us know. 

 

Thank you,

 

Tori Stevenson, ITIL

Client Technologies Tech I

Office of Technology Services

Lone Star College

30555 Tomball Parkway, S-209

Tomball, Texas  77375

281-357-3788 (office)

[hidden email]

LoneStar.edu/OTS

 

 

LSC 20|20 “I act intentionally with no fear to inspire excellence. I put my trust in others, knowing we are better together. And it’s all because students matter.”

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Licensing for College

Marcus (OOo)
Hi Tori,

yes, OpenOffice is open source software. And therefore free of any
license fees.

You can use it for private purposes, or educational, for commercial
businesses or a charity background.

Fore more details please see the license of the Apache Software
Foundation we are using:
https://www.openoffice.org/license.html

Have fun with OpenOffice.

Marcus



Am 03.04.2018 um 19:34 schrieb Stevenson, Victoria:
> We have 3 laptops that have been donated to our College.  We are writing
> to make sure Open Office can be used for education or business use
> without violating any licensing.
>
> Please let us know.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tori Stevenson, ITIL


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Licensing for College

Chuck Davis
In reply to this post by Stevenson, Victoria
Victoria, all Apache products are open source and freely available to use
on as many computers as you wish for the cost of a free download.
OpenOffice is available at www.openoffice.apache.org.  DO NOT pay anybody
to use OpenOffice unless you wish to support open source projects by a
donation to Apache Software Foundation.



On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Stevenson, Victoria <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>
>
> We have 3 laptops that have been donated to our College.  We are writing
> to make sure Open Office can be used for education or business use
> without violating any licensing.
>
>
>
> Please let us know.
>
>
>
> Thank you,
>
>
>
> Tori Stevenson, ITIL
>
> Client Technologies Tech I
>
> Office of Technology Services
>
> Lone Star College
>
> 30555 Tomball Parkway
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=30555+Tomball+Parkway&entry=gmail&source=g>,
> S-209
>
> Tomball, Texas  77375
>
> 281-357-3788 (office)
>
> [hidden email]
>
> LoneStar.edu/OTS <http://www.lonestar.edu/ots>
>
>
>
> [image: cid:image002.gif@01D076D6.DE495090]
>
>
>
> LSC 20|20 “I act intentionally with no fear to inspire excellence. I put
> my trust in others, knowing we are better together. And it’s all because students
> matter.”
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Licensing for College

Marcus (OOo)
Am 04.04.2018 um 21:23 schrieb Chuck Davis:
> Victoria, all Apache products are open source and freely available to use
> on as many computers as you wish for the cost of a free download.
> OpenOffice is available at www.openoffice.apache.org.  DO NOT pay anybody
> to use OpenOffice unless you wish to support open source projects by a
> donation to Apache Software Foundation.

I'm sure Chuck wanted to mention this website to download the offical
installation files for OpenOffice:

https://www.openoffice.org/download/

Marcus



> On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Stevenson, Victoria <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have 3 laptops that have been donated to our College.  We are writing
>> to make sure Open Office can be used for education or business use
>> without violating any licensing.
>>
>> Please let us know.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Tori Stevenson, ITIL


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Licensing for College

Peter Kovacs-3
In reply to this post by Stevenson, Victoria
Hello Mr Stevenson,

I would like to add a small, but important detail.

The use of the software "As is", is free as stated already.
The development /maintenance of the product is not free. It costs
involvement of volunteers.
If the team of Volunteers manage to bring out a new version, it is again
downloadable for free.

We are open to everyone, who wants to help developing OpenOffice, under
the License we distribute the Software with
(https://www.openoffice.org/license.html).
We need volunteers for:
# producing user Documentation (we are open for all formats)
# user support (we currently have 2 channels: user mailing list, forum)
# evaluating Bug reports
# testing new releases
# anylsing code for bugs
# developing new features in the core of the software or as add on.
# maintaining existing code or add ons.

I am sorry if this goes beyond what you are interested in, but I think
you need to understand our DNA. (And where free as in it does not cost
something ends)

Thanks for your time
Peter

On 03.04.2018 19:34, Stevenson, Victoria wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> We have 3 laptops that have been donated to our College.  We are
> writing to make sure Open Office can be used for education or business
> use without violating any licensing.
>
> Please let us know.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tori Stevenson, ITIL
>
> Client Technologies Tech I
>
> Office of Technology Services
>
> Lone Star College
>
> 30555 Tomball Parkway, S-209
>
> Tomball, Texas  77375
>
> 281-357-3788 (office)
>
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> LoneStar.edu/OTS <http://www.lonestar.edu/ots>
>
> cid:image002.gif@01D076D6.DE495090
>
> LSC 20|20 “I act intentionallywith no fearto inspire excellence. I put
> my trustin others, knowing we are better together. And it’s all
> because students matter.”
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Licensing for College

Peter Kovacs-3
Hello Miss Victoria Stevenson,


Please take my appologies, I saw the adress [hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]> and assumed a male person.

I am deeply sorry for the gender confusion.


All the best

Peter Kovacs


On 04.04.2018 22:47, Peter Kovacs wrote:

>
> Hello Mr Stevenson,
>
> I would like to add a small, but important detail.
>
> The use of the software "As is", is free as stated already.
> The development /maintenance of the product is not free. It costs
> involvement of volunteers.
> If the team of Volunteers manage to bring out a new version, it is
> again downloadable for free.
>
> We are open to everyone, who wants to help developing OpenOffice,
> under the License we distribute the Software with
> (https://www.openoffice.org/license.html).
> We need volunteers for:
> # producing user Documentation (we are open for all formats)
> # user support (we currently have 2 channels: user mailing list, forum)
> # evaluating Bug reports
> # testing new releases
> # anylsing code for bugs
> # developing new features in the core of the software or as add on.
> # maintaining existing code or add ons.
>
> I am sorry if this goes beyond what you are interested in, but I think
> you need to understand our DNA. (And where free as in it does not cost
> something ends)
>
> Thanks for your time
> Peter
>
> On 03.04.2018 19:34, Stevenson, Victoria wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have 3 laptops that have been donated to our College.  We are
>> writing to make sure Open Office can be used for education or
>> business use without violating any licensing.
>>
>> Please let us know.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Tori Stevenson, ITIL
>>
>> Client Technologies Tech I
>>
>> Office of Technology Services
>>
>> Lone Star College
>>
>> 30555 Tomball Parkway, S-209
>>
>> Tomball, Texas 77375
>>
>> 281-357-3788 (office)
>>
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>
>> LoneStar.edu/OTS <http://www.lonestar.edu/ots>
>>
>> cid:image002.gif@01D076D6.DE495090
>>
>> LSC 20|20 “I act intentionallywith no fearto inspire excellence. I
>> put my trustin others, knowing we are better together. And it’s all
>> because students matter.”
>>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]