Quantcast

Lost Work

International Aircraft Collection

Helllo,

I just lost all my work on this page.  All my years work is now gone.

Peaseeeee help me restore it. Please see attached file

Best Regards

James Smith

Cel: +1 801 675 4496
Office +1 808 824 3437 Ext: 102

Email: [hidden email]

Skype: iaircraftc1

PLA Running Sheet.xls (43K) Download Attachment

Re: Lost Work

Dave-5

Re: Lost Work

International Aircraft Collection

How is this possible in now a days i  can not belive it

Best Regards

James Smith

Cel: +1 801 675 4496
Office +1 808 824 3437 Ext: 102

Email: [hidden email]

Skype: iaircraftc1

Re: Lost Work

Dave Barton-7
Hi James,

It' possible, because all things break or go wrong (eg. cars, computers,
planes, etc.) for a multiplicity of reasons and 100% perfection is not
possible. In your case the cause might of been:

  * A computer operating system crash.
  * A power outage or spike.
  * An aging drive.
  * The list of possibilities goes on and on.

Backing up computer files is akin to wearing a seatbelt on a plane;
inconvenient, not perfect protection, but can be helpful in an emergency.

I can understand your frustration, but unless you have a backup of your
file there is no solution to your issue.

Regards

Dave

> How is this possible in now a days ☹i  can not belive it
>

> Best Regards
>
> James Smith
>
> *Cel:*+1 801 675 4496
> *Office *+1 808 824 3437 Ext: 102
>
> *Email:* [hidden email]
>
> *Skype:* iaircraftc1
> *Web:* www.iaircraft.co <http://www.iaircraft.co/>

Re: Lost Work

Andrea

Am 10.04.2017 um 09:09 schrieb International Aircraft Collection:

> How is this possible in now a days ☹i  can not belive it

It is possible, it was possible and it will be possible, if users don't
make any backups :-)

Re: Lost Work

Lucetta
Every time I open a data file and make any changes I then save it with that day's date added to the title. That way you will always have multiple copies and can go back to an uncorrupted version if necessary.
When I send someone a file their name in addition to the date is added.

This is in addition to regular complete back ups of everything on my computer to an exterior & portable hard-drive, which is stored in a separate building.

I like LaCie and I don't trust any version of the cloud.

You have just reminded me I need to start another backup system for a new and separate technical laptop.

Doesn't help you now but may in the future.

Sorry you have this problem and it may be a very small comfort to know that most of us have worked out our sometimes very personal backup strategies after some catastrophic event.

Good luck

Lucetta

Re: Lost Work

irgunii
On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 07:09:04 +0000
International Aircraft Collection <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How is this possible in now a days [☹] i  can not belive it
>

> Best Regards
>
> James Smith

  It fell on you during all that "year(s)" to have been backing up your file(s).
  How can you blame someone else when you refuse to make backups? Do you think
  your personal computer is infallible and nothing would or could ever go wrong
  with it?

  What happened to you sucks and can be extremely painful, but the best you can
  do is look at it is a learning experience and *ALWAYS* make back ups of your
  important work *ALL THE TIME*. Learn to make it a habit, once you've made a
  change of some kind and are done for the time being, *back it up*!

--
Huh, funny how Homeland Security rhymes with Gestapo.

Re: Lost Work

Girvin Herr-2

On 04/09/2017 11:31 PM, Dave wrote:

> [...]
In addition, The "Always create a backup copy" should also be ticked.
That is one of the first things I _always_ do when installing AOO.

A lot of these complaints could be solved by shipping AOO with this
option ticked by default, instead of the current "opt-in" philosophy.

Note that since AOO replaces ".odt" with ".bak", rather than using the
safer ".odt.bak" for the backup, there is a risk of, for example,
overwriting a document backup with a spreadsheet backup of the same
name.  That should not happen and may be a bug.  Before someone flames
AOO for this, this is not unique to AOO, LibreOffice has the same
"features".

Girvin Herr

Re: Lost Work

John Hart-2
On 4/9/2017 10:42 PM, International Aircraft Collection wrote:

> Helllo,
>

> I just lost all my work on this page.  All my years work is now gone.
>

> Peaseeeee help me restore it. Please see attached file
>

> Best Regards
>
> James Smith
Open Office is not good about making sure files aren't corrupted, but
even if it were things go wrong so you need do regular backups.

As for your current problem, if the problem happened recently, there's
probably a copy of the old file on your drive. Avoid using the computer
and get a file recovery program. It's possible it will be able to find
it.

Good luck

Re: Lost Work

Johnny Rosenberg
[hidden email]>:

> How is this possible in now a days [image: ☹]i  can not belive it
>

> I was actually thinking the same thing: How is it possible nowadays, that
there are still people out there who don't do backups? I just can't believe
it.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg