Lost my document

cecilygslowe@juno.com
Dear Open Office Support, Hi-I am a user of Open Office and am having several related problems.  I had just saved a document that I was working on when my computer lost power.  This has happened before and I never had a problem, but this time I did.  I connected the power again and tried to pull up my document.  Instead of giving me a "your documents have been recovered" message, I was told I needed to register my Open Office with a username.  I filled out the form, then a box pulled up with "ASCH filter options," something else that never happened before.  I hit "OK," then I got told my document was locked for editing.  I hit "Open a Read-Only Copy," and instead of my document, I got six pages of pound signs when the original document was only 2 pages long.  Is there anything I can do to get my document back?  And can you tell me why my Open Office is doing all these things it never did before? Thank you for your help,Cecily Lowe
New Testosterone Booster Takes GNC by Storm
Celebrity Local
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5bca3f87495593f870832st01duc

Re: Lost my document

David Robley

On 20/10/18 07:02, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dear Open Office Support, Hi-I am a user of Open Office and am having several related problems.  I had just saved a document that I was working on when my computer lost power.  This has happened before and I never had a problem, but this time I did.  I connected the power again and tried to pull up my document.  Instead of giving me a "your documents have been recovered" message, I was told I needed to register my Open Office with a username.  I filled out the form, then a box pulled up with "ASCH filter options," something else that never happened before.  I hit "OK," then I got told my document was locked for editing.  I hit "Open a Read-Only Copy," and instead of my document, I got six pages of pound signs when the original document was only 2 pages long.  Is there anything I can do to get my document back?
Your document is damaged beyond repair; your only hope is to try and
recover any temporary files Writer may have created - see
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056 for
more information.
>    And can you tell me why my Open Office is doing all these things it never did before? Thank you for your help,Cecily Lowe
Thus far you have been lucky when your computer lost power - this time
you weren't. May I suggest you consider some sort of strategy for
keeping multiple backups of your documents.

Re: Lost my document

Howard Blum
I love this reply.

I am obsessive about backups after suffering lost data and files due to a
hard drive failure back in the day when they were not as reliable as I feel
they are now.

I have one backup for even dates, one for odd dates and a third one for a
weekend backup.

Of course I have never had a catasteophic failure since I began this backup
routine, but I sleep well at night.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018, 4:48 PM David Robley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/10/18 07:02, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Dear Open Office Support, Hi-I am a user of Open Office and am having
> several related problems.  I had just saved a document that I was working
> on when my computer lost power.  This has happened before and I never had a
> problem, but this time I did.  I connected the power again and tried to
> pull up my document.  Instead of giving me a "your documents have been
> recovered" message, I was told I needed to register my Open Office with a
> username.  I filled out the form, then a box pulled up with "ASCH filter
> options," something else that never happened before.  I hit "OK," then I
> got told my document was locked for editing.  I hit "Open a Read-Only
> Copy," and instead of my document, I got six pages of pound signs when the
> original document was only 2 pages long.  Is there anything I can do to get
> my document back?
> Your document is damaged beyond repair; your only hope is to try and
> recover any temporary files Writer may have created - see
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056 for
> more information.
> >    And can you tell me why my Open Office is doing all these things it
> never did before? Thank you for your help,Cecily Lowe
> Thus far you have been lucky when your computer lost power - this time
> you weren't. May I suggest you consider some sort of strategy for
> keeping multiple backups of your documents.

Re: Lost my document

Hagar Delest-2
Reply forwarded to OP (not subscribed to the list).

Hagar

Le 20/10/2018 à 01:47, David Robley a écrit :

> On 20/10/18 07:02, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Dear Open Office Support, Hi-I am a user of Open Office and am having several related problems.  I had just saved a document that I was working on when my computer lost power.  This has happened before and I never had a problem, but this time I did.  I connected the power again and tried to pull up my document.  Instead of giving me a "your documents have been recovered" message, I was told I needed to register my Open Office with a username.  I filled out the form, then a box pulled up with "ASCH filter options," something else that never happened before.  I hit "OK," then I got told my document was locked for editing.  I hit "Open a Read-Only Copy," and instead of my document, I got six pages of pound signs when the original document was only 2 pages long.  Is there anything I can do to get my document back?
> Your document is damaged beyond repair; your only hope is to try and recover any temporary files Writer may have created - see https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056 for more information.
>>    And can you tell me why my Open Office is doing all these things it never did before? Thank you for your help,Cecily Lowe
> Thus far you have been lucky when your computer lost power - this time you weren't. May I suggest you consider some sort of strategy for keeping multiple backups of your documents.

Re: Lost my document

Hagar Delest-2
Oups, the OP CCed was almost hidden in my Thunderbird interface.
Sorry!

Hagar