Lost work

Bec Koshak
Your update this morning corrupted 25 pages of my next novel and it now is
all useless hashtags. Thanks s=
o very much.

Re: Lost work

Johnny Rosenberg
Den sön 16 aug. 2020 kl 23:29 skrev Bec Koshak <[hidden email]>:

> Your update this morning corrupted 25 pages of my next novel and it now is
> all useless hashtags. Thanks s=
> o very much.

Just restore it from your daily incremental backups, and you'll only need
to redo the work you did since then, hopefully not all 25 pages.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

RE: Lost work

Maurice Howe-2
This is why we urge users to save copies of files OFTEN (!!), using different names (such as with today’s date).  Maurice Howe

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Den sön 16 aug. 2020 kl 23:29 skrev Bec Koshak <[hidden email]>:

> Your update this morning corrupted 25 pages of my next novel and it now is
> all useless hashtags. Thanks s=
> o very much.

Just restore it from your daily incremental backups, and you'll only need
to redo the work you did since then, hopefully not all 25 pages.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Lost work

mick howe
years ago Mikroslop released MSWord, among its many features was
"Auto-save", its function was to automatically save your work every 20
minutes. When it got to the 6th automatic save it would totally destroy
your work, the file you were editing AND all the automatic backups, as
described in this thread. This behaviour, well known to Microsoft and many
of its users, was retained in all further releases upto and including
Office 97.
In the middle of this period I switched to OS/2 for most of my work. I
battled with the clunky Word Processors of the day until I discovered Star
Office which was functionally equivalent to MS Office except for the faults
like the autosave, which were fixed and forgotten by most.
Over time Star Office was acquired by one of the big players in the
Non-Windows side of the industry (might have been Oracle) and became free
like the air, spawning (I believe) OpenOffice, FreeOffice, LibreOffice and
others.
So if you are like me, disable 'features' like auto-save that give you
exciting distractions and export your work to plain text offline storage,
save to disk and shut your computer down and go have a coffee in the park,
with a friend. It won't slow you down any more than the continual "go to
hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00".

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 07:29, Bec Koshak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your update this morning corrupted 25 pages of my next novel and it now is
> all useless hashtags. Thanks s=
> o very much.

Re: Lost work

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 15:09:40 -0500
Bec Koshak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your update this morning corrupted 25 pages of my next novel and it now is
> all useless hashtags. Thanks so very much.

With respect, there is no automatic update of OpenOffice - any update must be specifically downloaded and installed.

You may have been hit by a Windows Update, which seem to occur at unspecified intervals. and which can corrupt open files.

Alternately the damage may possibly be due to over-hasty power-off of computer or closure of laptop lid, before the file housekeeping has been written to disk.

As soon as possible try the methods in this tutorial
See https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038]
for a Tutorial on  How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use the Previous Versions utility (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted.  This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>