MASTER DOCUMENTS

JOE Conner-2
What an interesting life I live.  I decided to create a master document
for the first time, and that was a total exercise in frustration.
So, I began with the help file:

    To Create a Master Document

   1.

      Do one of the following:

   2.

      If you are creating a new master document, the first entry in the
      Navigator should be a *Text* entry. Type an introduction or enter
      some text. This ensures that after having edited an existing style
      in the master document, you see the changed style when viewing the
      subdocuments.

   3.

      In the *Navigator* for master documents (should open
      automatically, else press F5 to open), click and hold the *Insert*
      icon, and do one of the following:

   4.

      Choose *File - Save*.

Step one says do one of the following.  So far, so good.  I go to step
two.  I open a text file and type some text.  No navigator appears, so
per step 3 I press F5 (suggested in step 3, but since step 2 fails to
work I am now doing things in step 3).  Guess what - there is no
INSERTicon to press and hold.  So step 3 also fails.
   Now since step 1 says do ONE of the following, perhaps step 4 will
work.  It does, sort of, but that is no different than saving any other
text document.  So, I think step 4 also fails.

So, following the help steps to create a master document is a total
failure.  Can some please tell me HOW to create a master document?

WinXP w/all service packs usingOpenOffice.org OOO330m18 (Build:9556)

Joe Conner, Poulsbo, WA USA

Re: MASTER DOCUMENTS

RA Brown
On Mon Jan 10 2011 20:29:21 GMT-0800 (PST)  JOE Conner wrote:
> What an interesting life I live.  I decided to create a master document
> for the first time, and that was a total exercise in frustration.
> So, I began with the help file:

Joe,

I would suggest getting the Document Project's guide from
http://www.oooauthors.org/english/userguide3/writer3/V3_3_revisions .
Scroll down to Chapter 13, select the PDF and/or ODT verion.

The process outlined is the same process that is used to produce the
User's Guides for publication.

HTH
Andy

Re: MASTER DOCUMENTS

Uwe Fischer-6
On 01/11/11 05:29, JOE Conner wrote:

> What an interesting life I live.  I decided to create a master document
> for the first time, and that was a total exercise in frustration.
> So, I began with the help file:
>

>    To Create a Master Document
>
>   1.
>
>      Do one of the following:
>
>   2.

We apologize for the incomplete Help page. A last minute technical
problem unexpectedly removed all lists that are nested inside other
lists. We did not detect this problem in time.
The Help page for OO.o 3.3 should be complete again.

Uwe
--

Uwe Fischer | Technical Writer
Oracle Office GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Re: MASTER DOCUMENTS

JOE Conner-2
On 1/11/2011 1:38 AM, Uwe Fischer wrote:

> On 01/11/11 05:29, JOE Conner wrote:
>> What an interesting life I live.  I decided to create a master
>> document for the first time, and that was a total exercise in
>> frustration.
>> So, I began with the help file:
>>

>>    To Create a Master Document
>>
>>   1.
>>
>>      Do one of the following:
>>
>>   2.
>>

> We apologize for the incomplete Help page. A last minute technical
> problem unexpectedly removed all lists that are nested inside other
> lists. We did not detect this problem in time.
> The Help page for OO.o 3.3 should be complete again.
>
> Uwe
Will this be corrected for OOo3.30 stable?

Re: MASTER DOCUMENTS

Uwe Fischer-6
On 01/12/11 00:00, JOE Conner wrote:

> On 1/11/2011 1:38 AM, Uwe Fischer wrote:
>> On 01/11/11 05:29, JOE Conner wrote:
>>> What an interesting life I live.  I decided to create a master
>>> document for the first time, and that was a total exercise in
>>> frustration.
>>> So, I began with the help file:
>>>

>>>    To Create a Master Document
>>>
>>>   1.
>>>
>>>      Do one of the following:
>>>
>>>   2.
>>>

>> We apologize for the incomplete Help page. A last minute technical
>> problem unexpectedly removed all lists that are nested inside other
>> lists. We did not detect this problem in time.
>> The Help page for OO.o 3.3 should be complete again.
>>
>> Uwe
> Will this be corrected for OOo3.30 stable?

No, we learned about this error only in June, 2010. A few days after
Help freeze for 3.3. Yes, that freeze day was more than half a year ago.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease33

It's a pity that we are allowed to provide an updated Help only for
1/10th releases like 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and so on.
In current DEV300 developer releases, this is fixed since last July.

Uwe
--

Uwe Fischer | Technical Writer
Oracle Office GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

RE: MASTER DOCUMENTS

McLauchlan, Kevin
 My comments/questions at bottom.

[snip]

> >> We apologize for the incomplete Help page. A last minute technical
> >> problem unexpectedly removed all lists that are nested
> inside other
> >> lists. We did not detect this problem in time.
> >> The Help page for OO.o 3.3 should be complete again.
> >>
> >> Uwe
> > Will this be corrected for OOo3.30 stable?
> >

> No, we learned about this error only in June, 2010. A few days after
> Help freeze for 3.3. Yes, that freeze day was more than half
> a year ago.
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease33
>
> It's a pity that we are allowed to provide an updated Help only for
> 1/10th releases like 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and so on.
> In current DEV300 developer releases, this is fixed since last July.

But you at least make content accessible on the OOo website,
until the next release that gets revised Help... yes?

Just provide the link.

Or, is it possible to import the Help from a downloaded DEV
release to replace the installed Help that is incomplete?

Just provide instructions, and nobody gets hurt.  :-)

 - k

 --

When in danger
 or in doubt

RE: MASTER DOCUMENTS

Dan Lewis
On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 11:28 -0500, McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

> My comments/questions at bottom.

Kevin,
     You were earlier given a link to the Master Document chapter in the
Writer Guide. This chapter contains everything you need to know about
creating a master document including many illustrations. It contains
much more that you will find in the Help files. Is there any reason why
you have not used it?

Dan

Re: MASTER DOCUMENTS

Uwe Fischer-6
>> Or, is it possible to import the Help from a downloaded DEV
>> release to replace the installed Help that is incomplete?
>>
>> Just provide instructions, and nobody gets hurt.  :-)
>>
>>  - k
>>
>>  --
>>
>> When in danger
>>  or in doubt
>> Run in circles
>>  scream and shout!
> Kevin,
>      You were earlier given a link to the Master Document chapter in the
> Writer Guide. This chapter contains everything you need to know about
> creating a master document including many illustrations. It contains
> much more that you will find in the Help files. Is there any reason why
> you have not used it?
>
> Dan

Kevin just does what the poem in his signature suggests ;-)

The steps at
http://www.oooauthors.org/english/userguide3/writer3/V3_3_revisions are
indeed much more detailed than any part of the installed Help can ever be.
The installed Help can be replaced by a newer version. But since
DEV300m91 the method to get context sensitive Help changed (
http://eis.services.openoffice.org/EIS2/cws.ShowCWS?Path=DEV300%2Fchangehid)

So you must use a DEV300m90 or earlier if your production version is an
OO.o 3.3 or earlier. I don't know where to find this on the Web.

Close OO.o and the (Windows only) Quickstarter.
Make a backup of your installed Help, for example by renaming the Help
folder to Help_backup.
Install a developer version. Normally there is no system integration, so
the file associations should still point to the production version
(however, there is no guarantee...)
Find the Help folder, copy it over to where the production version Help
was. The folder name must be Help. That's all.

Uwe