MSVC Update

George K
Hello,

This is an update of the current MSVC task. So far I had success in integrating MSVC 2015
to the project but it requires Windows SDK 8.1 or higher in order to work correctly. I ‘ve
found that Microsoft has reworked the folder structure of this SDK so it requires additional
work to be done in the configure.ac, in order to find the correct compilers and tools. Same
thing at the Windows 10 SDK, which has a more different structure.

Another thing that requires additional work is the integration of MSVC 2017. I was able to
find the installation from the registry, using oowintool, copy the required dll etc., but in Visual
Studio 2017 the folder structure is completely different, so changes are also needed at
configure.ac, for —with-cl-home to work correctly.

So that leaves me with the following notes:

(1) Integrate MSVC 2010 with Windows 7.1 SDK, both are available from Microsoft, no
     additional work is needed at the configure level, and update the project to MSBuild
     (Easy)

(2) Integrate MSVC 2017 with Windows 10 SDK, requires more work, but it ’s the main
     goal.

I ‘m thinking of doing an incremental integration. Work on option (1) and after a successful build
continue to option (2). Option (1) also provides support for Windows XP, so we could stick at
that for a while. After (1) is complete I presume that building to a new compiler and SDK, will
be easier, since the project will have already changed to MSBuild.

What are your thoughts and suggestions about this matter?

Kind regards,
George

Re: MSVC Update

Matthias Seidel
Hello George,

Am 10.10.2018 um 13:23 schrieb George Karalis:
> Hello,
>
> This is an update of the current MSVC task. So far I had success in integrating MSVC 2015
> to the project but it requires Windows SDK 8.1 or higher in order to work correctly. I ‘ve
> found that Microsoft has reworked the folder structure of this SDK so it requires additional
> work to be done in the configure.ac, in order to find the correct compilers and tools. Same
> thing at the Windows 10 SDK, which has a more different structure.

Thank you for your work!
Windows is the main platform for our users with about 85% of downloads.
Still is has been a bit neglected...
A newer SDK/compiler will certainly help us on our way to a 64-bit version.

> Another thing that requires additional work is the integration of MSVC 2017. I was able to
> find the installation from the registry, using oowintool, copy the required dll etc., but in Visual
> Studio 2017 the folder structure is completely different, so changes are also needed at
> configure.ac, for —with-cl-home to work correctly.
>
> So that leaves me with the following notes:
>
> (1) Integrate MSVC 2010 with Windows 7.1 SDK, both are available from Microsoft, no
>      additional work is needed at the configure level, and update the project to MSBuild
>      (Easy)
This is the SDK we are talking about?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8279

As a non developer I would say this should be our first step.

> (2) Integrate MSVC 2017 with Windows 10 SDK, requires more work, but it ’s the main
>      goal.
>
> I ‘m thinking of doing an incremental integration. Work on option (1) and after a successful build
> continue to option (2). Option (1) also provides support for Windows XP, so we could stick at
> that for a while. After (1) is complete I presume that building to a new compiler and SDK, will
> be easier, since the project will have already changed to MSBuild.

Sounds like a plan to me.
And I also think it would be good if we can support XP for some
additional time.

Regards,
   Matthias

> What are your thoughts and suggestions about this matter?
>
> Kind regards,
> George

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: MSVC Update

Gavin McDonald-3
Please consider filing an INFRA ticket with any new software versions that
might be needed on the Buildbots.
Also eqnuire about an extra 16.04 buildbot if needed.

Gav...

--
Gav...