Mac compatibility

Barbara Davidson
Hello

I have used OpenOffice on a Windows computer for some time - but I have switched to a Mac.  Is OpenOffice compatible with Mac please?  I do hope so!

Many thanks

Mrs Barbara Davidson

Re: Mac compatibility

Rochelle
Yes, it does.  Five years ago, I switched to Mac from a PC with Linux
operating system and was able to transfer all my Open Office files over
with no problem.

Rochelle

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 2:35 AM Barbara Davidson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have used OpenOffice on a Windows computer for some time - but I have
> switched to a Mac.  Is OpenOffice compatible with Mac please?  I do hope so!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mrs Barbara Davidson

Re: Mac compatibility

chuck ef
Yes - I have been using it for several years now.

I am on both High Sierra (old machine) and Mojave.

You will need to be aware of the Gatekeeper function on the Mac though - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491.

Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491>
support.apple.com
The safest place to get apps for your Mac is the App Store.Apple reviews each app in the App Store before it’s accepted and signs it to ensure that it hasn’t been tampered with or altered.

________________________________

Re: Mac compatibility

Howard Blum
I just upgraded to Mojave from High Sierra 10.13.6 and I find no issues
with either OS. I like it better than MS Office.

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:53 AM chuck ef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes - I have been using it for several years now.
>

> I am on both High Sierra (old machine) and Mojave.
>

> You will need to be aware of the Gatekeeper function on the Mac though -
> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491.
>
> Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support<
> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491>
> support.apple.com
> The safest place to get apps for your Mac is the App Store.Apple reviews
> each app in the App Store before it’s accepted and signs it to ensure that
> it hasn’t been tampered with or altered.
>

> ________________________________

Howard Blum
Pro Mobile Notary
PO Box 834
Novato, CA 94948
415-898-4130
http://pro-mobile-notary.com

Re: Mac compatibility

Carlo Strata
Hi Everyone,

it's time to get LibreOffice at all for both (reading and writing) Open
Document (odt, ods, ...) and Office Open XML (OOXML: docx, xlsx, ...).

Platforms available are: MacOS X, win32, win64 (native build!), linux,
linux flatpak, ...

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

But each time I read this kind of mail in this mailing list, I ask
myself how so many people yet don't know LibreOffice: that is where the
whole World has moved since 2010-09-30!!!

Hope may help!

ing. Carlo Strata
-
via Botticelli 1/4
30031 Dolo - VE
Italia - Italy
-
mobile +39.347.85.69.824
Skype carlo.strata
Google carlo.strata.69
-
[hidden email]
PEC: [hidden email]

Il 09/11/18 19:52, Howard Blum ha scritto:

> I just upgraded to Mojave from High Sierra 10.13.6 and I find no issues
> with either OS. I like it better than MS Office.
>
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:53 AM chuck ef <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes - I have been using it for several years now.
>>

>> I am on both High Sierra (old machine) and Mojave.
>>

>> You will need to be aware of the Gatekeeper function on the Mac though -
>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491.
>>
>> Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support<
>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491>
>> support.apple.com
>> The safest place to get apps for your Mac is the App Store.Apple reviews
>> each app in the App Store before it’s accepted and signs it to ensure that
>> it hasn’t been tampered with or altered.
>>

>> ________________________________

Re: Mac compatibility

Matthias Seidel
Am 09.11.18 um 21:16 schrieb Carlo Strata:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> it's time to get LibreOffice at all for both (reading and writing)
> Open Document (odt, ods, ...) and Office Open XML (OOXML: docx, xlsx,
> ...).
>
> Platforms available are: MacOS X, win32, win64 (native build!), linux,
> linux flatpak, ...
>
> https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
>
> But each time I read this kind of mail in this mailing list, I ask
> myself how so many people yet don't know LibreOffice: that is where
> the whole World has moved since 2010-09-30!!!
Nonsense...

> Hope may help!

Nope!

> ing. Carlo Strata
> -
> via Botticelli 1/4
> 30031 Dolo - VE
> Italia - Italy
> -
> mobile +39.347.85.69.824
> Skype carlo.strata
> Google carlo.strata.69
> -
> [hidden email]
> PEC: [hidden email]
>
> Il 09/11/18 19:52, Howard Blum ha scritto:
>> I just upgraded to Mojave from High Sierra 10.13.6 and I find no issues
>> with either OS. I like it better than MS Office.
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:53 AM chuck ef <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes - I have been using it for several years now.
>>>

>>> I am on both High Sierra (old machine) and Mojave.
>>>

>>> You will need to be aware of the Gatekeeper function on the Mac
>>> though -
>>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491.
>>>
>>> Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support<
>>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491>
>>> support.apple.com
>>> The safest place to get apps for your Mac is the App Store.Apple
>>> reviews
>>> each app in the App Store before it’s accepted and signs it to
>>> ensure that
>>> it hasn’t been tampered with or altered.
>>>

>>> ________________________________

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Mac compatibility

Rory O'Farrell
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 21:16:12 +0100
Carlo Strata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> it's time to get LibreOffice at all for both (reading and writing) Open
> Document (odt, ods, ...) and Office Open XML (OOXML: docx, xlsx, ...).
>
> Platforms available are: MacOS X, win32, win64 (native build!), linux,
> linux flatpak, ...
>
> https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
>
> But each time I read this kind of mail in this mailing list, I ask
> myself how so many people yet don't know LibreOffice: that is where the
> whole World has moved since 2010-09-30!!!
>
> Hope may help!
>
> ing. Carlo Strata
> -
> via Botticelli 1/4
> 30031 Dolo - VE
> Italia - Italy

Many of us remain with OpenOffice for quite a number of reasons, including stability and lack of rampant featuritis.  Also because we may dislike the aggressive 'religious war' of proponents of certain other suites.

RoryOF

 > -

> mobile +39.347.85.69.824
> Skype carlo.strata
> Google carlo.strata.69
> -
> [hidden email]
> PEC: [hidden email]
>
> Il 09/11/18 19:52, Howard Blum ha scritto:
> > I just upgraded to Mojave from High Sierra 10.13.6 and I find no issues
> > with either OS. I like it better than MS Office.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:53 AM chuck ef <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes - I have been using it for several years now.
> >>

> >> I am on both High Sierra (old machine) and Mojave.
> >>

> >> You will need to be aware of the Gatekeeper function on the Mac though -
> >> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491.
> >>
> >> Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support<
> >> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491>
> >> support.apple.com
> >> The safest place to get apps for your Mac is the App Store.Apple reviews
> >> each app in the App Store before it’s accepted and signs it to ensure that
> >> it hasn’t been tampered with or altered.
> >>

> >> ________________________________

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Mac compatibility

jonathon-3
On 11/9/18 8:16 PM, Carlo Strata wrote:
> myself how so many people yet don't know LibreOffice:

There are things that one can do with Apache OpenOffice, that can _not_
be done with LibreOffice.

This is over and above the extensions and templates that work with
Apache OpenOffice, but not with LibreOffice.

jonathon

Re: Mac compatibility

Dave AOO
On 13.11.2018 17:19, jonathon wrote:

> On 11/9/18 8:16 PM, Carlo Strata wrote:
>> myself how so many people yet don't know LibreOffice:
>
> There are things that one can do with Apache OpenOffice, that can _not_
> be done with LibreOffice.
>
> This is over and above the extensions and templates that work with
> Apache OpenOffice, but not with LibreOffice.
>
> jonathon
Hi Jonathon,

I am not interested in an "us and them" debate, come flame war. However,
I have seen this and similar comments on AOO lists before and I am
genuinely interested to find out what these "things" are. A couple of
examples or pointers might help me get a better understanding.

Thanks & Regards
Dave

0xC0020A60BF9E4F37.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Mac compatibility

jonathon-3
On 11/13/18 6:04 PM, Dave AOO wrote:

> I have seen this and similar comments on AOO lists before and I am genuinely interested to find out what these "things" are.

I'm very slowly working on a document describing the differences between
the various versions of LibO & AOo.  I might also include EO, and NO.

> A couple of examples or pointers might help me get a better understanding.

Right off the bat, special character input in AOo allows words, and even
entire sentences to be entered in one swoop. LibO will only do glyph by
glyph insertion. The practical effect that for combining characters,
LibO requires at least twice as many keystrokes, and, for some obscure
glyphs in obscrube writing systems, up to five times as many keystrokes.

The more significant difference is with the extensions and templates one
uses. I don't have a current list of which extensions work better with
which product. N-Gram grammar checking was slightly faster with AOo,
than with LibO, using the same document.

The OOo-SVN extension worked with early versions of AOo. I never managed
to get it to work with LibO.

jonathon

Re: Mac compatibility

Dave AOO
On 13.11.2018 19:39, jonathon wrote:
> On 11/13/18 6:04 PM, Dave AOO wrote:
>
>> I have seen this and similar comments on AOO lists before and I am genuinely interested to find out what these "things" are.
>
> I'm very slowly working on a document describing the differences between
> the various versions of LibO & AOo.  I might also include EO, and NO.

Hope you will publish your findings.

>> A couple of examples or pointers might help me get a better understanding.
>
> Right off the bat, special character input in AOo allows words, and even
> entire sentences to be entered in one swoop. LibO will only do glyph by
> glyph insertion. The practical effect that for combining characters,
> LibO requires at least twice as many keystrokes, and, for some obscure
> glyphs in obscrube writing systems, up to five times as many keystrokes.

I have never had much use for the special character function, but
definitely a useful feature for anyone who needs it. Strange that the
string buffer was removed from the dialog after LO 5.4.7 I don't
understand the rational for changing that.

> The more significant difference is with the extensions and templates one
> uses. I don't have a current list of which extensions work better with
> which product. N-Gram grammar checking was slightly faster with AOo,
> than with LibO, using the same document.
>
> The OOo-SVN extension worked with early versions of AOo. I never managed
> to get it to work with LibO.

I am not familiar with that extension. However, it seems that LO changed
something in the API and some extension authors had to produce two
variants of their work.

I have not yet encountered a template that works differently in in
either program. The only time this might be an issue is if the template
uses macros, that call on changed API functions.

> jonathon

Anyway, thank you for offering some answers to my question.