Mac system Catalina

12

Mac system Catalina

Helen Robson
Could you tell me when OpenOffice will be updated to run on Mac System Catalina?
Thank you
H Robson

Sent from my iPad

Re: Mac system Catalina

Peter Kovacs-3
Hi Helen,

AFAIK the current version 4.1.7 should work, as all other versions did work before.
Can you describe your issue in more detail?

All the best
Peter

Am 28. Oktober 2019 00:36:22 MEZ schrieb Helen Robson <[hidden email]>:

>Could you tell me when OpenOffice will be updated to run on Mac System
>Catalina?
>Thank you
>H Robson
>
>Sent from my iPad

Re: Mac system Catalina

Branko Čibej
On 28.10.2019 07:40, Peter Kovacs wrote:
> Hi Helen,
>
> AFAIK the current version 4.1.7 should work, as all other versions did work before.
> Can you describe your issue in more detail?

Even I saw reports on this very list to the tune that, without proper
notarization, apps won't work on Catalina. AOO is not notarized by
Apple. Hence, user problems.

-- Brane

> Am 28. Oktober 2019 00:36:22 MEZ schrieb Helen Robson <[hidden email]>:
>> Could you tell me when OpenOffice will be updated to run on Mac System
>> Catalina?
>> Thank you
>> H Robson
>>
>> Sent from my iPad

Re: Mac system Catalina

Jim Jagielski

> On Oct 28, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Branko Čibej <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Even I saw reports on this very list to the tune that, without proper
> notarization, apps won't work on Catalina.

Not quite true. You can still run non-notarized apps on Catalina... it is just harder than before to "bypass" GateKeeper. One way is to alt-click Open the App. Another is to select it and then choose Open from the Finder.

Re: Mac system Catalina

Matthias Seidel
Am 28.10.19 um 16:34 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>> On Oct 28, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Branko Čibej <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Even I saw reports on this very list to the tune that, without proper
>> notarization, apps won't work on Catalina.
> Not quite true. You can still run non-notarized apps on Catalina... it is just harder than before to "bypass" GateKeeper. One way is to alt-click Open the App. Another is to select it and then choose Open from the Finder.
And what is more important, people have to install a *64-bit* version.
Downloading the latest release will be sufficient...

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Mac system Catalina

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Jim, all

> On October 28, 2019 at 3:34 PM Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 28, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Branko Čibej <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Even I saw reports on this very list to the tune that, without proper
> > notarization, apps won't work on Catalina.
>
> Not quite true. You can still run non-notarized apps on Catalina... it is just harder than before to "bypass" GateKeeper. One way is to alt-click Open the App. Another is to select it and then choose Open from the Finder.

That seems to be a workaround for advanced users. If you/we want ordinary Apple users to continue to use OpenOffice then this notarization of the x64 build needs to be solved ASAP.
The same applies to the Windows installer validation.
I believe these two issues should be enough reason for a 4.1.8 release.

Just my 2 cents
Pedro

Re: Mac system Catalina

Matthias Seidel
Hi Pedro,

Am 28.10.19 um 17:16 schrieb Pedro Lino:

> Hi Jim, all
>

>> On October 28, 2019 at 3:34 PM Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 28, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Branko Čibej <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Even I saw reports on this very list to the tune that, without proper
>>> notarization, apps won't work on Catalina.
>> Not quite true. You can still run non-notarized apps on Catalina... it is just harder than before to "bypass" GateKeeper. One way is to alt-click Open the App. Another is to select it and then choose Open from the Finder.
> That seems to be a workaround for advanced users. If you/we want ordinary Apple users to continue to use OpenOffice then this notarization of the x64 build needs to be solved ASAP.
> The same applies to the Windows installer validation.
Do you volunteer? Remember, we all are only volunteers... ;-)
> I believe these two issues should be enough reason for a 4.1.8 release.

Welcome to the team!

Matthias

> Just my 2 cents
> Pedro

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Mac system Catalina

Jim Jagielski

> On Oct 28, 2019, at 12:16 PM, Pedro Lino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jim, all
>

>> On October 28, 2019 at 3:34 PM Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 28, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Branko Čibej <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Even I saw reports on this very list to the tune that, without proper
>>> notarization, apps won't work on Catalina.
>>
>> Not quite true. You can still run non-notarized apps on Catalina... it is just harder than before to "bypass" GateKeeper. One way is to alt-click Open the App. Another is to select it and then choose Open from the Finder.
>
> That seems to be a workaround for advanced users. If you/we want ordinary Apple users to continue to use OpenOffice then this notarization of the x64 build needs to be solved ASAP.
> The same applies to the Windows installer validation.
> I believe these two issues should be enough reason for a 4.1.8 release.

We have, in fact, been setting things up to allow us to do such Notarization... I have an Apache DevID now, in addition to my personal one.

Re: Mac system Catalina

Pedro Lino-3

>         > >
> >
> >     >     Do you volunteer? Remember, we all are only volunteers... ;-)
>
>         > >         I believe these two issues should be enough reason for a 4.1.8 release.
> >
> >     >     Welcome to the team!

I don't understand the cynicism.
I believe I have contributed quite a bit with translation, bug reporting and build testing.  Apparently that is not enough for this project?

Too bad!

Regards,
Pedro

Re: Mac system Catalina

Matthias Seidel
Hi Pedro,

Am 28.10.19 um 17:40 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>>         > >
>>>     >     Do you volunteer? Remember, we all are only volunteers... ;-)
>>         > >         I believe these two issues should be enough reason for a 4.1.8 release.
>>>     >     Welcome to the team!
> I don't understand the cynicism.
> I believe I have contributed quite a bit with translation, bug reporting and build testing.  Apparently that is not enough for this project?
>
> Too bad!

Well, someone has to deliver...

No cynicism, it was just an invitation.

> Regards,
> Pedro

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Mac system Catalina

Jim Jagielski
It appears that one can notarize an App after bistro (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution/customizing_the_notarization_workflow)...

I will try w/ the current 4.1.7 dmgs

Re: Mac system Catalina

Matthias Seidel
Am 28.10.19 um 18:01 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> It appears that one can notarize an App after bistro (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution/customizing_the_notarization_workflow)...
>
> I will try w/ the current 4.1.7 dmgs

That's interesting, but will they notarize it with XCode 7?

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Mac system Catalina

Peter Kovacs-3
Guys calm down. The notarization is no easy thing to do. It is complex process, involving updates of dependencies and involves code changes.

I am trying to push the topic since 2016 for mac when I have joined. Now we are almost at it to solve this. It has been a team effort from the start where multiple people delivered bigger or smaller pieces to the puzzle. Fighting, claiming and other things do not bring us forward.

For Windows it would help in a first step if someone can search the resources on MSN and post links of the  validation process described by MS.
Let's take this step by step.

Please!

Am 28. Oktober 2019 17:45:35 MEZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:

>Hi Pedro,
>
>Am 28.10.19 um 17:40 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>>>         > >
>;-)
>>>         > >         I believe these two issues should be enough
>reason for a 4.1.8 release.
>> I don't understand the cynicism.
>> I believe I have contributed quite a bit with translation, bug
>reporting and build testing.  Apparently that is not enough for this
>project?
>>
>> Too bad!
>
>Well, someone has to deliver...
>
>No cynicism, it was just an invitation.
>

>> Regards,
>> Pedro

Re: Mac system Catalina

Jim Jagielski
I will use Xcode11 to notarize it... It's worth a shot to see if that works :)

> On Oct 28, 2019, at 1:07 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 28.10.19 um 18:01 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> It appears that one can notarize an App after bistro (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution/customizing_the_notarization_workflow)...
>>
>> I will try w/ the current 4.1.7 dmgs
>
> That's interesting, but will they notarize it with XCode 7?

Re: Mac system Catalina

Peter Kovacs-3
Jim,
Can you try notarization with xcode 10 or do we still need code changes?

Am 28. Oktober 2019 17:33:26 MEZ schrieb Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>:

>> On Oct 28, 2019, at 12:16 PM, Pedro Lino <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jim, all

>proper
>>>
>>> Not quite true. You can still run non-notarized apps on Catalina...
>it is just harder than before to "bypass" GateKeeper. One way is to
>alt-click Open the App. Another is to select it and then choose Open
>from the Finder.
>>
>> That seems to be a workaround for advanced users. If you/we want
>ordinary Apple users to continue to use OpenOffice then this
>notarization of the x64 build needs to be solved ASAP.
>> The same applies to the Windows installer validation.
>> I believe these two issues should be enough reason for a 4.1.8
>release.
>>

>We have, in fact, been setting things up to allow us to do such
>Notarization... I have an Apache DevID now, in addition to my personal
>one.

Re: Mac system Catalina

Matthias Seidel
Am 28.10.19 um 18:09 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> I will use Xcode11 to notarize it... It's worth a shot to see if that works :)

Yes, give it a try. ;-)

I am curious if you get instant feedback or if we have to wait for a
response. That would be a time factor to consider for our releases...

>> On Oct 28, 2019, at 1:07 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Am 28.10.19 um 18:01 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>> It appears that one can notarize an App after bistro (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution/customizing_the_notarization_workflow)...
>>>
>>> I will try w/ the current 4.1.7 dmgs
>> That's interesting, but will they notarize it with XCode 7?

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Mac system Catalina

Peter Kovacs-3
Yes please try. If you have issues we can check on solutions. :)

Am 28. Oktober 2019 18:09:52 MEZ schrieb Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>:

>I will use Xcode11 to notarize it... It's worth a shot to see if that
>works :)
>
>> On Oct 28, 2019, at 1:07 PM, Matthias Seidel
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Am 28.10.19 um 18:01 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>> It appears that one can notarize an App after bistro
>(https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution/customizing_the_notarization_workflow)...
>>>
>>> I will try w/ the current 4.1.7 dmgs
>>
>> That's interesting, but will they notarize it with XCode 7?

Re: Mac system Catalina

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Peter

>     For Windows it would help in a first step if someone can search the resources on MSN and post links of the validation process described by MS.

This is what is needed for Windows Certification: a Code Signing Certificate
https://www.ksoftware.net/code-signing-certificates

Giving that this is a distributed project, I would say that the OV Code Signing is the most appropriate (otherwise only one person will have the encrypted hardware token)

Hope this helps.

Does Apache OpenOffice have any funds?

Regards,
Pedro

>     Am 28. Oktober 2019 17:45:35 MEZ schrieb Matthias Seidel < [hidden email] mailto:[hidden email] >:
>     >Hi Pedro,
>     >
>     >Am 28.10.19 um 17:40 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>     >>> > >
>     >>>> > Do you volunteer? Remember, we all are only volunteers...
>     >;-)
>     >>> > > I believe these two issues should be enough
>     >reason for a 4.1.8 release.
>     >>>> > Welcome to the team!
>     >> I don't understand the cynicism.
>     >> I believe I have contributed quite a bit with translation, bug
>     >reporting and build testing. Apparently that is not enough for this
>     >project?
>     >>
>     >> Too bad!
>     >
>     >Well, someone has to deliver...
>     >
>     >No cynicism, it was just an invitation.
>     >
>     >>
>     >> Regards,
>     >> Pedro
>     >>

Re: Mac system Catalina

Peter Kovacs-3
I do not want to spend money on this service, without having tried with infra or Microsoft directly.
I am sure the ASF has something. And if not I am sure Microsoft gives us access at better conditions then the 3rd party offer.

Am 28. Oktober 2019 20:59:15 MEZ schrieb Pedro Lino <[hidden email]>:

>Hi Peter
>

>>     For Windows it would help in a first step if someone can search
>the resources on MSN and post links of the validation process described
>by MS.
>>

>This is what is needed for Windows Certification: a Code Signing
>Certificate
>https://www.ksoftware.net/code-signing-certificates
>
>Giving that this is a distributed project, I would say that the OV Code
>Signing is the most appropriate (otherwise only one person will have
>the encrypted hardware token)
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Does Apache OpenOffice have any funds?
>
>Regards,
>Pedro
>

>>     Am 28. Oktober 2019 17:45:35 MEZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <
>[hidden email] mailto:[hidden email] >:
>>     >Hi Pedro,
>>     >
>>     >Am 28.10.19 um 17:40 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>>     >>> > >
>>     >>>> > Do you volunteer? Remember, we all are only volunteers...
>>     >;-)
>>     >>> > > I believe these two issues should be enough
>>     >reason for a 4.1.8 release.
>>     >>>> > Welcome to the team!
>>     >> I don't understand the cynicism.
>>     >> I believe I have contributed quite a bit with translation, bug
>>     >reporting and build testing. Apparently that is not enough for
>this
>>     >project?
>>     >>
>>     >> Too bad!
>>     >
>>     >Well, someone has to deliver...
>>     >
>>     >No cynicism, it was just an invitation.
>>     >
>>     >>
>>     >> Regards,
>>     >> Pedro
>>     >>

Re: Mac system Catalina

Dave Fisher-3
Hi -

There is an offer from Microsoft for Apache committers to get a free MSDN license. If that gives access to the proper signing keys then that would be the way to go.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 28, 2019, at 3:22 PM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I do not want to spend money on this service, without having tried with infra or Microsoft directly.
> I am sure the ASF has something. And if not I am sure Microsoft gives us access at better conditions then the 3rd party offer.
>
> Am 28. Oktober 2019 20:59:15 MEZ schrieb Pedro Lino <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Peter
>>

>>>    For Windows it would help in a first step if someone can search
>> the resources on MSN and post links of the validation process described
>> by MS.
>>>

>> This is what is needed for Windows Certification: a Code Signing
>> Certificate
>> https://www.ksoftware.net/code-signing-certificates
>>
>> Giving that this is a distributed project, I would say that the OV Code
>> Signing is the most appropriate (otherwise only one person will have
>> the encrypted hardware token)
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Does Apache OpenOffice have any funds?
>>
>> Regards,