Mac vs Linux -- Limits on number of rows in spreadsheets?

Mac vs Linux -- Limits on number of rows in spreadsheets?

Dwight Hines
Mac vs Linux --Limits on number of rows in spreadsheets?
How to increase?

Re: Mac vs Linux -- Limits on number of rows in spreadsheets?

Wade Smart-2
I send and get sheets from people who use Mac and
never noticed a limit on rows.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 9:52 AM Dwight Hines <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mac vs Linux --Limits on number of rows in spreadsheets?
> How to increase?

Re: Mac vs Linux -- Limits on number of rows in spreadsheets?

chuck ef
I am not aware of a limit on rows in an .ods file but then I have never tried to find one. And why, if one exists, it would be unique to Mac systems is a mystery to me.

I use Macs frequently.

________________________________
Mac vs Linux --Limits on number of rows in spreadsheets?
How to increase?

Re: Mac vs Linux -- Limits on number of rows in spreadsheets?

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 18:04:39 +0000
chuck ef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not aware of a limit on rows in an .ods file but then I have never tried to find one. And why, if one exists, it would be unique to Mac systems is a mystery to me.
>
> I use Macs frequently.

OpenOffice Calc is listed as supporting 1048576 rows and 1024 columns

It may be that a dataset of such size needs a completely different method of processing than a spreadsheet.

Rory

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Mac vs Linux -- Limits on number of rows in spreadsheets?

Brian Barker-2
At 10:52 22/12/2018 -0500, Dwight Hines wrote:
>Mac vs Linux --Limits on number of rows in spreadsheets?

See
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/Calc/Miscellaneous/What%27s_the_maximum_number_of_rows_and_cells_for_a_spreadsheet_file%3F
- which says 1,048,576, i.e.2^20. It makes no distinction between
operating systems.

The above will be for saving in OpenOffice's native Open Document
Format format, i.e. .ods; saving in other formats may have other
limitations. Recent versions of Microsoft Excel have the same limit
for number of rows, but this appears to apply only to its newer .xlsx
format. Older version of Microsoft Excel were limited to 65,536 (i.e.
2^16) rows. I'm guessing that if you save from OpenOffice in .xls
format, you will be limited to this smaller value as well. Even if
you are not, it may be that Microsoft Excel (any version?) will not
be able to open an .xls file with more rows than this smaller limit.

Remember that if you are passing your documents to others, any limits
of whatever spreadsheet software they use will apply.

>How to increase?

Use different spreadsheet software. Write your own? Redesign your
spreadsheet? Use a database?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Mac vs Linux -- Limits on number of rows in spreadsheets?

Wade Smart-2
> OpenOffice Calc is listed as supporting 1048576 rows and 1024 columns
>
> It may be that a dataset of such size needs a completely different method of processing than a spreadsheet.
>
> Rory

Hmm I havent got to 1 million rows yet.
I cant say Ive even tested the limit then HAHHAH