Major Problem on File Access

Joshua Yuan-Jin Su
Hello OpenOffice Users

I was editing an .ods file when the computer suddenly crashed.
After it rebooted, the file could not be recovered.
Thereafter, not only that file but ALL my OpenOffice files are LOCKED from
my use.
I can only open Read-Only versions or Copies.
I cannot even save these files back to the Directory.
It seems the Whole Directory is Locked from my use.

However, all other Non-OpenOffice files work normally in the same directory.

What is happening?  But, MORE IMPORTANTLY, HOW Can this Be Sorted?
This is the MOST SERIOUS ERROR I have ever experienced with OpenOffice for
it Bars me from using OpenOffice on this computer, which is my Main Desktop
PC.

Anyone who can Help will be Greatly Appreciated.

Joshua Su

Re: Major Problem on File Access

Glen Kohler
From my own experiences and those reported by others I have to suspect that the default file locking is not desirable. It would be very useful if the preferences interface included a way to turn file locking off and on.

My own difficulty opening files created on my other computer have made me put AOO aside for the time being.

Best Luck to All,

Glen

On Feb 8, 2018, at 8:29 AM, Joshua YJ Su <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello OpenOffice Users
>
> I was editing an .ods file when the computer suddenly crashed.
> After it rebooted, the file could not be recovered.
> Thereafter, not only that file but ALL my OpenOffice files are LOCKED from
> my use.
> I can only open Read-Only versions or Copies.
> I cannot even save these files back to the Directory.
> It seems the Whole Directory is Locked from my use.
>
> However, all other Non-OpenOffice files work normally in the same directory.
>
> What is happening?  But, MORE IMPORTANTLY, HOW Can this Be Sorted?
> This is the MOST SERIOUS ERROR I have ever experienced with OpenOffice for
> it Bars me from using OpenOffice on this computer, which is my Main Desktop
> PC.
>
> Anyone who can Help will be Greatly Appreciated.
>
> Joshua Su

Re: Major Problem on File Access

Martin Groenescheij

On 09/02/18 3:29 AM, Joshua YJ Su wrote:
> Hello OpenOffice Users
>
> I was editing an .ods file when the computer suddenly crashed.
> After it rebooted, the file could not be recovered.
> Thereafter, not only that file but ALL my OpenOffice files are LOCKED from
> my use.

ALL your OpenOffice files are only locked when you had them ALL open
when your system crashed. Lock files
are zero bite files if you we're working on file Untitled 1.odt the
there will be  a lock file named .~lock.Untitled 1.odt#
Deleting the lock file is the solution. However I doubt about the ALL
statement could you check the timestamps
of the lock files to see if they are all from the time your system crashed?

> I can only open Read-Only versions or Copies.
> I cannot even save these files back to the Directory.
> It seems the Whole Directory is Locked from my use.

OpenOffice never lock a whole directory only files you are working on.
If the directory has only OpenOffice files it could give you the false
impression that the whole directory is locked.

> However, all other Non-OpenOffice files work normally in the same directory.

The other files are not locked because you had them open when your
system crashed.

> What is happening?  But, MORE IMPORTANTLY, HOW Can this Be Sorted?

You can sort the issue by deleting the lock files.

> This is the MOST SERIOUS ERROR I have ever experienced with OpenOffice for
> it Bars me from using OpenOffice on this computer, which is my Main Desktop
> PC.

Blame your PC not OpenOffice.

> Anyone who can Help will be Greatly Appreciated.

I hope that this advice is of any help.

> Joshua Su

Re: Major Problem on File Access

Rory O'Farrell

A report on Forum informs that the problem was caused by the Antivirus.  Now solved

RoryOF

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 07:20:23 +1100
Martin Groenescheij <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/02/18 3:29 AM, Joshua YJ Su wrote:
> > Hello OpenOffice Users
> >
> > I was editing an .ods file when the computer suddenly crashed.
> > After it rebooted, the file could not be recovered.
> > Thereafter, not only that file but ALL my OpenOffice files are LOCKED from
> > my use.
>
> ALL your OpenOffice files are only locked when you had them ALL open
> when your system crashed. Lock files
> are zero bite files if you we're working on file Untitled 1.odt the
> there will be  a lock file named .~lock.Untitled 1.odt#
> Deleting the lock file is the solution. However I doubt about the ALL
> statement could you check the timestamps
> of the lock files to see if they are all from the time your system crashed?
>
> > I can only open Read-Only versions or Copies.
> > I cannot even save these files back to the Directory.
> > It seems the Whole Directory is Locked from my use.
>
> OpenOffice never lock a whole directory only files you are working on.
> If the directory has only OpenOffice files it could give you the false
> impression that the whole directory is locked.
>

> > However, all other Non-OpenOffice files work normally in the same directory.
>
> The other files are not locked because you had them open when your
> system crashed.
>

> > What is happening?  But, MORE IMPORTANTLY, HOW Can this Be Sorted?
>
> You can sort the issue by deleting the lock files.
>
> > This is the MOST SERIOUS ERROR I have ever experienced with OpenOffice for
> > it Bars me from using OpenOffice on this computer, which is my Main Desktop
> > PC.
>
> Blame your PC not OpenOffice.
>

> > Anyone who can Help will be Greatly Appreciated.
>
> I hope that this advice is of any help.
>

> > Joshua Su

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Major Problem on File Access

Bob SIEKER
I also had that problem when I upgraded to AOO 4.1.5. It had two causes:

In Win 10, Microsoft has installed" Defender", a complete defense providing virus protection, fire walls, etc. It did not accept 4.1.5, and my profile had multiple names which confused the system. It took my computer expert a number of hours and my dollars to find and clean up my system. It is now running much better.

It is a good idea in defender to not let it block unknown programs. There is a setting for that.

Bob Sieker

________________________________
A report on Forum informs that the problem was caused by the Antivirus.  Now solved

RoryOF

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 07:20:23 +1100
Martin Groenescheij <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/02/18 3:29 AM, Joshua YJ Su wrote:
> > Hello OpenOffice Users
> >
> > I was editing an .ods file when the computer suddenly crashed.
> > After it rebooted, the file could not be recovered.
> > Thereafter, not only that file but ALL my OpenOffice files are LOCKED from
> > my use.
>
> ALL your OpenOffice files are only locked when you had them ALL open
> when your system crashed. Lock files
> are zero bite files if you we're working on file Untitled 1.odt the
> there will be  a lock file named .~lock.Untitled 1.odt#
> Deleting the lock file is the solution. However I doubt about the ALL
> statement could you check the timestamps
> of the lock files to see if they are all from the time your system crashed?
>
> > I can only open Read-Only versions or Copies.
> > I cannot even save these files back to the Directory.
> > It seems the Whole Directory is Locked from my use.
>
> OpenOffice never lock a whole directory only files you are working on.
> If the directory has only OpenOffice files it could give you the false
> impression that the whole directory is locked.
>

> > However, all other Non-OpenOffice files work normally in the same directory.
>
> The other files are not locked because you had them open when your
> system crashed.
>

> > What is happening?  But, MORE IMPORTANTLY, HOW Can this Be Sorted?
>
> You can sort the issue by deleting the lock files.
>
> > This is the MOST SERIOUS ERROR I have ever experienced with OpenOffice for
> > it Bars me from using OpenOffice on this computer, which is my Main Desktop
> > PC.
>
> Blame your PC not OpenOffice.
>

> > Anyone who can Help will be Greatly Appreciated.
>
> I hope that this advice is of any help.
>

> > Joshua Su

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Major Problem on File Access

zahra a
hello.
if you windows and cant recover your files, you can use previous
version of your files in the property to restore previous versions of
your files.
but if you delete lock files, you can open them in normal edit mode.
be sure that in tools, options,load-save, general,
Save AutoRecovery information every:
and
Always create backup copy
be checked to prevent loss of data in the future.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org