Make Wrtite a little better

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Make Wrtite a little better

Anders Haneskog
Hello!

I want to give you an advice. Maybe you have thought about this before, but I better say whats on my mind.

When using Microsoft Word one has an advantage in one area over Open Office:
Let us say that I am out on the internet and wants to copy the text AND pictures (amongst the text) in a special text. I want to copy the whole text - with the small pictures that have been put inside the text - the whole text/pictures in its whole - together.
Then I can do that - with Microsoft Word.

BUT when I try to do this with Open office - I can not! I think?!

Maybe you could improve the Open Office Write - program with that feature.
Thi is something I have missed on Open Office.

AND another thing:

Please make for Open Office programs that has the features as...

Ms Projekt
Ms OneNote

AND another thing:

How about to connect all Open Office - programs, so one can use them together and import calculator sheets to Open Office-OneNote and into an Impress-dokument. And so on...

How about that?
I know it is perhaps difficult...but still, it would make Open Office better.

Thanks

Anders





---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

RA Brown
* Please reply only to the mailing list *

On Mon Nov 15 2010 12:01:08 GMT-0800 (PST)  Anders Haneskog wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to give you an advice. Maybe you have thought about this before, but I better say whats on my mind.

Thanks for your interest in OpenOffice.org.  The problem is that no one
here can help, unless there is a developer hiding out.  You should place
such request on the issuezilla,
http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/submission_gateway.html as a
starting point.  You will need to Register on the site to post but that
only takes a few minutes.

HTH
Andy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

David B Teague-3
In reply to this post by Anders Haneskog
On 11/15/2010 3:01 PM, Anders Haneskog wrote:
> When using Microsoft Word one has an advantage in one area over Open Office:
> Let us say that I am out on the internet and wants to copy the text AND pictures (amongst the text) in a special text. I want to copy the whole text - with the small pictures that have been put inside the text - the whole text/pictures in its whole - together.
> Then I can do that - with Microsoft Word.
>
> BUT when I try to do this with Open office - I can not! I think?!

Please understand that it is unclear to me exactly what you
are saying, but IF I understand you, this has not been my
experience. I can copy from a web site, text and pictures
interspersed, into an OO.o writer document, and everything
/usually /comes through.

To test this, I just pointed Firefox to the page for the
North Carolina Suzuki Association,
http://www.ncsuzukiassociation.org/home.htm
Incidentally, I edit their news letter using OO.o (take a
look). I just copied the first page to an OO.o writer
document. The image at the top comes with the text,
formatting intact.

Only occasionally do I have problems, and this less
frequently than I did with the MS browser and MS Word. (But
that was a long time ago: IE 6 or 7 and Word 2003.)

That said, I point out that I have not been able to save in
any MS Word format from OO.o Writer and have the formatting
be reliable. Pictures and tables frequently do not survive.
But I have not tried to save in docx format. I have the
latest OO.o, so there is no reason for me to spend the tidy
sum that MS wants for its most recent Office.

There are things OO.o cannot do that MS Office does, and
conversely. There is one thing that MS does and OO.o does
not do: OO.o does not extract large sums of money from you
to use the product. OO.o is free.

With Warmest Regards
David Teague


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

Regina Henschel
In reply to this post by Anders Haneskog
Hi Anders,

Anders Haneskog schrieb:

> Hello!
>
> I want to give you an advice. Maybe you have thought about this
> before, but I better say whats on my mind.
>
> When using Microsoft Word one has an advantage in one area over Open
> Office: Let us say that I am out on the internet and wants to copy
> the text AND pictures (amongst the text) in a special text. I want to
> copy the whole text - with the small pictures that have been put
> inside the text - the whole text/pictures in its whole - together.
> Then I can do that - with Microsoft Word.
>
> BUT when I try to do this with Open office - I can not! I think?!
>
> Maybe you could improve the Open Office Write - program with that
> feature. Thi is something I have missed on Open Office.

What does not work for you? I have no problem copying text and pictures
from a webpage.

[..]
>
> AND another thing:
>
> How about to connect all Open Office - programs, so one can use them
> together and import calculator sheets to Open Office-OneNote and into
> an Impress-dokument. And so on...

They are connected. What do you want to do, that is not possible?

kind regards
Regina

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

Regina Henschel
In reply to this post by RA Brown
Hi Andy,

RA Brown schrieb:

> * Please reply only to the mailing list *
>
> On Mon Nov 15 2010 12:01:08 GMT-0800 (PST) Anders Haneskog wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I want to give you an advice. Maybe you have thought about this
>> before, but I better say whats on my mind.
>
> Thanks for your interest in OpenOffice.org. The problem is that no one
> here can help, unless there is a developer hiding out. You should place
> such request on the issuezilla,
> http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/submission_gateway.html as a
> starting point. You will need to Register on the site to post but that
> only takes a few minutes.

I disagree. We have thousands of those "I have a wish" issues (about
3000 'unconfirmed' and 5600 'new'). That does not help.

If you want a new feature, you should work on it. Speak with a lot of
people, how the feature should work in detail, why this feature is so
necessary, who needs this feature. Do free alternatives exist? Write a
draft of a specification. Try to get people to support your idea. And
then you can go to Issuezilla.

kind regards
Regina


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

Sabiazoth
In reply to this post by David B Teague-3
Well, with that said, you said a mouthful.  You can't really complain what
is free, can you, David?  You sure put a lid on my mouth.  Thank you for
pointing out the importance of free software.  I must say, I probably won't
complain any longer.  It is true that with Microsoft Office you can do more
stuff than what you can do with Open Office; but unlike Open Office,
Microsoft Office tends to empty out your pockets.



On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM, David B Teague
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 11/15/2010 3:01 PM, Anders Haneskog wrote:
>
>> When using Microsoft Word one has an advantage in one area over Open
>> Office:
>> Let us say that I am out on the internet and wants to copy the text AND
>> pictures (amongst the text) in a special text. I want to copy the whole text
>> - with the small pictures that have been put inside the text - the whole
>> text/pictures in its whole - together.
>> Then I can do that - with Microsoft Word.
>>
>> BUT when I try to do this with Open office - I can not! I think?!
>>
>
> Please understand that it is unclear to me exactly what you are saying, but
> IF I understand you, this has not been my experience. I can copy from a web
> site, text and pictures interspersed, into an OO.o writer document, and
> everything /usually /comes through.
>
> To test this, I just pointed Firefox to the page for the North Carolina
> Suzuki Association,
> http://www.ncsuzukiassociation.org/home.htm
> Incidentally, I edit their news letter using OO.o (take a look). I just
> copied the first page to an OO.o writer document. The image at the top comes
> with the text, formatting intact.
>
> Only occasionally do I have problems, and this less frequently than I did
> with the MS browser and MS Word. (But that was a long time ago: IE 6 or 7
> and Word 2003.)
>
> That said, I point out that I have not been able to save in any MS Word
> format from OO.o Writer and have the formatting be reliable. Pictures and
> tables frequently do not survive. But I have not tried to save in docx
> format. I have the latest OO.o, so there is no reason for me to spend the
> tidy sum that MS wants for its most recent Office.
>
> There are things OO.o cannot do that MS Office does, and conversely. There
> is one thing that MS does and OO.o does not do: OO.o does not extract large
> sums of money from you to use the product. OO.o is free.
>
> With Warmest Regards
> David Teague
>
>
>


--
Sabiazoth

"'The-Self' is but an illusion; 'Individuality' is but an illusion that
exerts behavior and understanding.'"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

Gordon Burgess-Parker-2
On 17/11/2010 00:25, Sabiazoth wrote:
>   It is true that with Microsoft Office you can do more
> stuff than what you can do with Open Office;

I disagree. It is certainly true that MS Office can do things that Open
Office cannot - but it's also true that Open Office can do things that
MS Office cannot - like use the addressbook from whatever email client
you tell it to - Word will ONLY use Outlook, and no other. So if you run
the Home and Student version and want to do a mail merge then you HAVE
to export your addresses from whatever addressbook you use into either
access or excel...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

Graham Lauder-2
In reply to this post by Sabiazoth
On Wednesday 17 Nov 2010 13:25:29 Sabiazoth wrote:
> Well, with that said, you said a mouthful.  You can't really complain what
> is free, can you, David?  You sure put a lid on my mouth.  Thank you for
> pointing out the importance of free software.  I must say, I probably won't
> complain any longer.  It is true that with Microsoft Office you can do more
> stuff than what you can do with Open Office; but unlike Open Office,
> Microsoft Office tends to empty out your pockets.
>

Actually OOo will do quite a bit more than MSO,

Handle multiple nonnative file formats
Run on Multiple platforms, MacIntel, Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and others
too many to list
Is available in over a hundred languages
one click export to PDF
Edit PDFs
Create PDF forms

Doesn't matter that it's free, I'd still pay for it, more in fact, than I'd be
willing to pay for MSO that's for certain

Cheers
GL
>
--
Graham Lauder,
OpenOffice.org MarCon (Marketing Contact) NZ
http://marketing.openoffice.org/contacts.html

OpenOffice.org Migration and training Consultant.

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

David B Teague-3
On 11/17/2010 7:12 AM, Graham Lauder wrote:
> Actually OOo will do quite a bit more than MSO,
>
> <SNIP>
> Edit PDFs
I would like to know more about editing a PDF file with OOo.
I know there is an add-on that enable pdf import into Draw.
Incidentally, this also enables hybrid pdf-odt export. While
Writer is wonderfully easy for me, Draw is yet opaque. Can
you say a few words about what you do and how you do it,
with a PDF file in OO.o?

Please, if you provide details, respond OFF LIST.

An on list "RTFM" and the usual chiding for not looking it
myself will be much better IF you include a link to the Draw
beginner's Fine Manual.

--David


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

Robert Derman-2
In reply to this post by Graham Lauder-2
Graham Lauder wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 Nov 2010 13:25:29 Sabiazoth wrote:
>  
>> Well, with that said, you said a mouthful.  You can't really complain what
>> is free, can you, David?  You sure put a lid on my mouth.  Thank you for
>> pointing out the importance of free software.  I must say, I probably won't
>> complain any longer.  It is true that with Microsoft Office you can do more
>> stuff than what you can do with Open Office; but unlike Open Office,
>> Microsoft Office tends to empty out your pockets.
>>
>>    
>
> Actually OOo will do quite a bit more than MSO,
>
> Handle multiple nonnative file formats
> Run on Multiple platforms, MacIntel, Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and others
> too many to list
> Is available in over a hundred languages
> one click export to PDF
> Edit PDFs
> Create PDF forms
>
> Doesn't matter that it's free, I'd still pay for it, more in fact, than I'd be
> willing to pay for MSO that's for certain
>
> Cheers
> GL
>  
Actually for novelists and other prosewriters LO Writer is already a
better piece of software than M$ Word.  the autocorrect/autocomplete
system has me so spoiled that i hate all email clients.  with Writer i
seldom ever have to hit the shift keys, and i have simply gotten out of
the habit of doing so.  I was just thinking that it would be really
great if a module could be added to Writer that would let it serve as an
email client.  Writing these replies with Writer would be so much easier
than doing so in Tbird.  to say nothing of that peice of crap Olook Express.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

Graham Lauder-2
In reply to this post by David B Teague-3
On Thursday 18 Nov 2010 04:02:52 David B Teague wrote:

> On 11/17/2010 7:12 AM, Graham Lauder wrote:
> > Actually OOo will do quite a bit more than MSO,
> >
> > <SNIP>
> > Edit PDFs
>
> I would like to know more about editing a PDF file with OOo.
> I know there is an add-on that enable pdf import into Draw.
> Incidentally, this also enables hybrid pdf-odt export. While
> Writer is wonderfully easy for me, Draw is yet opaque. Can
> you say a few words about what you do and how you do it,
> with a PDF file in OO.o?
>
> Please, if you provide details, respond OFF LIST.
>
> An on list "RTFM" and the usual chiding for not looking it
> myself will be much better IF you include a link to the Draw
> beginner's Fine Manual.
>
> --David
>

Hi David,
it's actually quite simple if you get familiar with Draw, it simply treats
blocks of text in the PDF as a section or a text box.  

If you have the PDFimport extension installed just open OOo and go
file>open>foo.pdf.  Use the standard Draw tools from there.

 Click on a line of text reveals the text box, double clicking puts your
cursor in the text box and ready to edit.

Intro to Draw Wiki stuff here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Draw_Guide/Introducing_Draw


Getting started PDF is here
 http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/8/87/0107GS3-
GettingStartedWithDraw.pdf

Full manual in PDF form here
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/f/f7/0400DG3-DrawGuide.pdf

Cheers
GL


 

>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

--
Graham Lauder,
OpenOffice.org MarCon (Marketing Contact) NZ
http://marketing.openoffice.org/contacts.html

OpenOffice.org Migration and training Consultant.

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

David B Teague-3
On 11/17/2010 4:55 PM, Graham Lauder wrote:

> Hi David,
> it's actually quite simple if you get familiar with Draw, it simply treats
> blocks of text in the PDF as a section or a text box.
>
> If you have the PDFimport extension installed just open OOo and go
> file>open>foo.pdf.  Use the standard Draw tools from there.
>
>   Click on a line of text reveals the text box, double clicking puts your
> cursor in the text box and ready to edit.
>
> Intro to Draw Wiki stuff here:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Draw_Guide/Introducing_Draw
>
>
> Getting started PDF is here
>   http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/8/87/0107GS3-
> GettingStartedWithDraw.pdf
>
> Full manual in PDF form here
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/f/f7/0400DG3-DrawGuide.pdf
>
> Cheers
> GL
Your response is both kind and thorough. I'll spend some
time playing with Draw. One of the many things I want to do
is to put finger numbers on music for the bass. That's
fairly straightforward in Paint.net, but not easy in any pdf
editor I have access to. I hope it can be done in Draw.
--David


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Make Wrtite a little better

RA Brown
On Wed Nov 17 2010 16:43:31 GMT-0800 (PST)  David B Teague wrote:

> Your response is both kind and thorough. I'll spend some time playing
> with Draw. One of the many things I want to do is to put finger numbers
> on music for the bass. That's fairly straightforward in Paint.net, but
> not easy in any pdf editor I have access to. I hope it can be done in Draw.
> --David

Just a quick note.  Have you checked out the template site?  Check out
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/node/1934 .

HTH
Andy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]