Malfunctioning and fatal error of AOO

Haim Giloh
From: Haim Giloh <[hidden email]>

I am not a computer expert;
English is not my mother language.
Computer OS: Windows 10.
Present AOO version: 4.7.1

Writing, editing, saving and opening of saved files with AOO has become
impossible.

Details:
1.  On opening AOO,
a. Most times, *NOT* the first AOO window, *‘Open Office 4’ * is displayed
*,* but the second one, *OpenOffice Document Recovery’*.

b.  Sometimes the ‘Open Office 4’ window is displayed correctly. On
the following
page, where choosing an option for writing, after 20-30 sec, AOO switches
suddenly to the second window.
        Hence, writing and saving a file became impossible.

2. The second window, *‘OpenOffice Document Recovery’* :
On the first row, a statement appears: “Due to an unexpected error, AOO
crashed. all the files you are working on will be saved”, etc.

3. The *‘Start recovery’*  window
On clicking *OK*:

a. If recovery was successful, clicking *‘Next’, *returns correctly the
empty page for writing. However, it switches automatically back to the
second window, as described in section 1b. above.

        Hence, a vicious cycle is created.

b. If recovery failed, clicking *‘Next’* returns a new window that states:

“void_this call framework::AutoRecovery: implts_ collectActiveViewNames
(structframework:: Autorecovery:TDocumentInfo&) need at document, at the
very least".

The consequence of the impaired functioning:
writing, saving and opening of files stored on the computer is impossible.

Trial to solve the problem:
Unsubscription and reinstalling AOO. It did not solve the problem.

Please instruct me or help me otherwise to get AOO working correctly again.

Sincerely,
Haim Giloh

Re: Malfunctioning and fatal error of AOO

Amin Jacek Pędziwiater

First of all uninstall AOO using special program (I suggest Revo
Uninstaller Free). During uninstallation, remove all the remains
(registry entries, folders).

Secondly, in Control Panel settings select Folders and in available
options select "Show hidden files and folders".

Thirdly: Run Windows Explorer to see and navigate the files and folders
that are on your disk.
Open (by mouse click) the disk view C:\, further open the folder "Users"
and open your user folder under the name you are logged into Windows.
Then open the folder "AppData" and further on "Roaming" and this folder
contains the folder "OpenOffice". Select it and right-click "delete"
from the menu.

Fourth: Use some program (I suggest Wise Registry Cleaner Free) to
thoroughly scan the system registry and fix any errors automatically.
At this stage, you can set up a new Apache OpenOffice installation
hoping it will be correct and clean from errors.

Now my note about AOO's cooperation with Windows 10: Win 10 has a
built-in Windows Defender protection program, which sometimes (I had
such a case) blocks some access and operation (read-write) functions
when the program is not running in Administrator mode. This applies to
the temporary AOO file "soffice.bin" and if you have trouble saving the
OO file, open the Windows Defender tab in the system settings and then
select "Operations". (or "Action") and check "Allow" for the blocked
file.

You can download the programs I mentioned ( Revo Uninstaller and Wise
Registry Cleaner) from the sites that make them available by using a
search engine in your web browser.
The AOO installation package of course I recommend to download from the
official OpenOffice.org website.

On 05/06/2020 13:25, Haim Giloh wrote:
> Dear Amin,
> Thank you so much for your detailed instructions to try to resolve the
> malfunctioning of AOO version 4.1.7.
>
> Because of serious health problems, only today I was able to apply them on
> my computer.
>
> The first three steps seemed to progress correctly. However, I hesitated
> apply the fourth step and delete any false Registry issues. The scan of
the windows registry by Wise Registry Cleaner Free revealed
>1785 problems, "22 of them unsafe to be deleted". The list of problems is
as

> follows, but those 22 are not specified
>
> ActiveX/Components         611
> Software paths                    34
> Application paths               174
> File types                           328
> Firewall settings                   12
> User MRU lists                   474
> Uninstaller                          103
> Shared DLLs                        12
> MUI cache                            34
> Invalid context menu items    3
>
>Please instruct me how to continue/