Meeting at ApacheCon

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Meeting at ApacheCon

Andrea Pescetti-2
It seems that several of us are (or are going to be) at ApacheCon Europe
today and tomorrow, but it's difficult to find people in the huge crowd.

Louis suggested that we organize a meeting tomorrow morning (do you have
any more details about proposed time/place, Louis?).

I expect that we manage to find each other at the reception tonight anyway.

Regards,
   Andrea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Meeting at ApacheCon

Louis Suárez-Potts-3
Hi-
> On 01 Oct 2015, at 14:43, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It seems that several of us are (or are going to be) at ApacheCon Europe today y and tomorrow, but it's difficult to find people in the huge crowd.
>
> Louis suggested that we organize a meeting tomorrow morning (do you have any more details about proposed time/place, Louis?).
>
> I expect that we manage to find each other at the reception tonight anyway.


We can try to meet up. I doubt we will have—nor should we—any conversation that would not be had in pubic, as on this list. It’s more to talk as easily as in-peson meetings can only make possible.

But I think the issues are those that we all here are aware of. They are also public, or should be.

Briefly:

* We need developers. We need them to continue with the project, with what we’ve been doing for almost exactly 15 years (13 October), and we need them to address the needs that those who use OO (or LO) on a large scale really need.

— those needs are, interoperability with MS OOXML and probably also the binary formats (.doc, etc.) and also collaboration—a vague term.
We also need core developers who can initiate and then help lead new and interesting features that extend the reach of the ODF.

The other big issue that we all have discussed relates to working with those at LibreOffice/TDF. I am aware of the issues and obstacles and also histories that obstruct the flows of community work. But the current situation is not really helping anyone and is confusing everyone. Even if issues like license, workflow culture, notions of community, etc. prevent actual collaboration on any but the most essential security issues, my guess is that we can probably help the larger community of OO/LO users by clarifying what our identities and differences are and what users can expect. We are both open source projects. We ought therefore to be able to be as transparent in these matters as we are in our code. And we owe it to the community of users who want to know what keeps us apart and why we can’t just get along.

Of course, I hardly expect that we’ll have anything like an agreement on this matter tonight, should we even discuss it! And of course, any real, substantive discussion will necessarily include the community, else it won’t have happened.


>
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Best,
Louis

PS I had a rather interesting discussion with several people on the state of the ODF today, at ApacheCon. Among them was Giovanni Grazia, who led the migration from MSFT 2003 to AOO of the significant Italian polity of Regione Emilia-Romagna. I’ll draft a short account of it as well as other elements that speak to the state of ODF today.

signature.asc (275 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Meeting at ApacheCon

Alexandro Colorado
Any pictures from the meetup?

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi-
> > On 01 Oct 2015, at 14:43, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It seems that several of us are (or are going to be) at ApacheCon Europe
> today y and tomorrow, but it's difficult to find people in the huge crowd.
> >
> > Louis suggested that we organize a meeting tomorrow morning (do you have
> any more details about proposed time/place, Louis?).
> >
> > I expect that we manage to find each other at the reception tonight
> anyway.
>
>
> We can try to meet up. I doubt we will have—nor should we—any conversation
> that would not be had in pubic, as on this list. It’s more to talk as
> easily as in-peson meetings can only make possible.
>
> But I think the issues are those that we all here are aware of. They are
> also public, or should be.
>
> Briefly:
>
> * We need developers. We need them to continue with the project, with what
> we’ve been doing for almost exactly 15 years (13 October), and we need them
> to address the needs that those who use OO (or LO) on a large scale really
> need.
>
> — those needs are, interoperability with MS OOXML and probably also the
> binary formats (.doc, etc.) and also collaboration—a vague term.
> We also need core developers who can initiate and then help lead new and
> interesting features that extend the reach of the ODF.
>
> The other big issue that we all have discussed relates to working with
> those at LibreOffice/TDF. I am aware of the issues and obstacles and also
> histories that obstruct the flows of community work. But the current
> situation is not really helping anyone and is confusing everyone. Even if
> issues like license, workflow culture, notions of community, etc. prevent
> actual collaboration on any but the most essential security issues, my
> guess is that we can probably help the larger community of OO/LO users by
> clarifying what our identities and differences are and what users can
> expect. We are both open source projects. We ought therefore to be able to
> be as transparent in these matters as we are in our code. And we owe it to
> the community of users who want to know what keeps us apart and why we
> can’t just get along.
>
> Of course, I hardly expect that we’ll have anything like an agreement on
> this matter tonight, should we even discuss it! And of course, any real,
> substantive discussion will necessarily include the community, else it
> won’t have happened.
>
>
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Andrea.
>
> Best,
> Louis
>
> PS I had a rather interesting discussion with several people on the state
> of the ODF today, at ApacheCon. Among them was Giovanni Grazia, who led the
> migration from MSFT 2003 to AOO of the significant Italian polity of
> Regione Emilia-Romagna. I’ll draft a short account of it as well as other
> elements that speak to the state of ODF today.
>



--
Alexandro Colorado
GULTab.org
Linux User # 319286
Blog: http://www.alexandrocolorado.com/blog/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Meeting at ApacheCon

Andrea Pescetti-2
Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> Any pictures from the meetup?

We didn't take any, I think. But Michal did take several other pictures
(thank you Michal!) which he shared on this list a few days ago.

Regards,
   Andrea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]