Metadata in Writer

Jean Hollis Weber-3
The bits of info in the Document Properties are metadata about the
document. This metadata can be used for various purposes (such as
searching), and is exported to PDF, HTML, and other formats.

I would like to include in the Writer Guide (where the DocProperties
dialog box is discussed) some specific examples of common uses that
ordinary users can understand... especially for items that can be
entered into the Custom Properties page. What do some of the fields in
an ODT file become in PDF or HTML?

I have a somewhat vague and generalised idea of common uses of metadata,
but not clear enough to write intelligently about it, so any help you
can give me would be much appreciated... and hopefully save me a lot of
time. Pointers to clear, comprehensible examples are fine. Thanks!

--Jean

Re: Metadata in Writer

Michael Stahl-5
On 22/11/2010 07:19, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> The bits of info in the Document Properties are metadata about the
> document. This metadata can be used for various purposes (such as
> searching), and is exported to PDF, HTML, and other formats.
>
> I would like to include in the Writer Guide (where the DocProperties
> dialog box is discussed) some specific examples of common uses that
> ordinary users can understand... especially for items that can be
> entered into the Custom Properties page. What do some of the fields in
> an ODT file become in PDF or HTML?

i guess the custom properties are not used much by "ordinary users".
you can insert a field in a writer document that displays the content of
the custom property.
macro authors seem to like custom properties, because they are easily
accessible in the API.

the fields should be mapped to the closest equivalent in the HTML/PDF
metadata;  some fields have no analogue in HTML/PDF, and are not exported.

(due to a historical accident the document properties also contain some
refresh/redirect/timeout stuff that is in fact useless in ODF, but make
sense only for exported HTML files...)

> I have a somewhat vague and generalised idea of common uses of metadata,
> but not clear enough to write intelligently about it, so any help you
> can give me would be much appreciated... and hopefully save me a lot of
> time. Pointers to clear, comprehensible examples are fine. Thanks!
>
> --Jean

hmm... my completely unsubstantiated guess is that "look at them" and
"insert fields" is 98% of what ordinary users would want to do with the
document properties.

--
Q: What will the scientific programming language of 2050 look like?
A: No one knows, but it will be called FORTRAN.