Method to select multiple columns:rows in Calc

Method to select multiple columns:rows in Calc

Vince@Gmail

I have a Calc sheet in which unwanted background fill color is
displayed.  The range begins B1307 and C1307 and seems to go the the end
(wherever that is).  Can anyone suggest an easier method than using the
mouse to scroll to the "end" starting from B1307:C?????

Is there an specific keystroke to jump to the end of a selected column?

Using Windows10-64 desktop and AOO-Calc 4.1.5.

Re: Method to select multiple columns:rows in Calc

Wade Smart-2
On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 2:35 PM Vince@GMAIL <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a Calc sheet in which unwanted background fill color is
> displayed.  The range begins B1307 and C1307 and seems to go the the end
> (wherever that is).  Can anyone suggest an easier method than using the
> mouse to scroll to the "end" starting from B1307:C?????
>
> Is there an specific keystroke to jump to the end of a selected column?
>

> Using Windows10-64 desktop and AOO-Calc 4.1.5.

How about just click the Column B and C at the top?

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: Method to select multiple columns:rows in Calc

WA.TWORSX via AOL

On 9/11/2018 3:36 PM, Wade Smart wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 2:35 PM Vince@GMAIL <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have a Calc sheet in which unwanted background fill color is
>> displayed.  The range begins B1307 and C1307 and seems to go the the end
>> (wherever that is).  Can anyone suggest an easier method than using the
>> mouse to scroll to the "end" starting from B1307:C?????
>>
>> Is there an specific keystroke to jump to the end of a selected column?
>>

>> Using Windows10-64 desktop and AOO-Calc 4.1.5.
> How about just click the Column B and C at the top?

No; I have data within the above cells in which the background color is
desired.

Is there a jump-to keystroke that gets me to the very last row?

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 2:41 PM WA.TWORSX via AOL <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/11/2018 3:36 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 2:35 PM Vince@GMAIL <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a Calc sheet in which unwanted background fill color is
> >> displayed.  The range begins B1307 and C1307 and seems to go the the end
> >> (wherever that is).  Can anyone suggest an easier method than using the
> >> mouse to scroll to the "end" starting from B1307:C?????
> >>
> >> Is there an specific keystroke to jump to the end of a selected column?
> >>

> >> Using Windows10-64 desktop and AOO-Calc 4.1.5.
> > How about just click the Column B and C at the top?
> >

> No; I have data within the above cells in which the background color is
> desired.
>
> Is there a jump-to keystroke that gets me to the very last row?

Uh.. are commenting on the other post or do you have the same problem?
Or, are you using two email addresses?

As far as Im aware, there is no keystroke because - how would it know
where the end is.

You can click in the first cell and then while holding shift hit the
down page key and it will make larger jumps.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Re: Method to select multiple columns:rows in Calc

Brian Barker-2

At 15:41 11/09/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>I have data within the above cells in which the background color is
>desired. Is there a jump-to keystroke that gets me to the very last row?

Three techniques:

1.
o Highlight B1307.
o Press Ctrl+Shift+End.

This will select the region from B1307 to the bottom right *occupied*
cell of your sheet. If that selects only columns B and C you can now
remove the background. If there is material in later columns, hold
down Shift and press left-arrow repeatedly to reduce the selection to
columns B and C. Now remove the background.

*But*, you will scream, that doesn't get to the bottom, only to the
lowest used part of the sheet. But that doesn't matter, as when you
print the material nothing below that last used part will print
(unless you have perversely set a print range to make it print). So
the remaining cells with background are no problem.

2.
Alternatively, in the Name Box (to the left of the Input Line), enter:
B1307:C1048576
and press Enter. You now have the required range selected. Remove the
background.

3.
Depending on what backgrounds you have in earlier rows that you do
want, it might be easier to remove the background from the whole of
columns B and C and reset it in those cells or ranges where you require it.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

On 9/11/2018 7:09 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 15:32 11/09/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>> I have a Calc sheet in which unwanted background fill color is
>> displayed. The range begins B1307 and C1307 and seems to go the end
>> (wherever that is). Can anyone suggest an easier method than using
>> the mouse to scroll to the "end" starting from B1307:C????? Is there
>> an specific keystroke to jump to the end of a selected column?
>
> At 15:41 11/09/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>> I have data within the above cells in which the background color is
>> desired. Is there a jump-to keystroke that gets me to the very last row?
>
> Three techniques:
>
> 1.
> o Highlight B1307.
> o Press Ctrl+Shift+End.
>
> This will select the region from B1307 to the bottom right *occupied*
> cell of your sheet. If that selects only columns B and C you can now
> remove the background. If there is material in later columns, hold
> down Shift and press left-arrow repeatedly to reduce the selection to
> columns B and C. Now remove the background.
>
> *But*, you will scream, that doesn't get to the bottom, only to the
> lowest used part of the sheet. But that doesn't matter, as when you
> print the material nothing below that last used part will print
> (unless you have perversely set a print range to make it print). So
> the remaining cells with background are no problem.
>
> 2.
> Alternatively, in the Name Box (to the left of the Input Line), enter:
> B1307:C1048576
> and press Enter. You now have the required range selected. Remove the
> background.
>
> 3.
> Depending on what backgrounds you have in earlier rows that you do
> want, it might be easier to remove the background from the whole of
> columns B and C and reset it in those cells or ranges where you
> require it.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Thank you, Brian.

Method 1. indeed did not get to the bottom.
Method 2. Worked splendidly !
Method 3. Was obvious to me, but I wanted to avoid resetting the
filled-in cells above the target range of cells.

Regards.
VinceB.