Microsoft Works v4.5

Bob Dennison
I have some database files I created in this format. (.wdb)  What can I use to open these files in Open Office so that I can edit them?

   Bob D...

Re: Microsoft Works v4.5

twayne at twaynesdomain
In news:[hidden email],
Bob Dennison <[hidden email]> typed:
> I have some database files I created in this format. (.wdb)
> What can I use to open these files in Open Office so that I
> can edit them?
>
>    Bob D...

Look to see if there is a commone format in Works Save As that also exists
in OO.o Open's file formats.
   Base is probably what you want to use in OO.o; in Base, look for a format
in Open that's the same as one in Works. You might have to experiment a bit
IF it even will work at all; I'm not sure.
   You could also copy the file to someplace we could get to it, and someone
might take a crack at converting it. Me included. Be certain NO personal
information appears and if it's reasonable to do, make the database small;
all you want to know is how to convert it.
   I think I've heard that OO.o isn't compatible with Works; that's why I
suggest looking at other SaveAs formats in Works.

HTH,

Twayne`

Re: Microsoft Works v4.5

Barbara Duprey
On 12/16/2010 5:13 PM, Bob Dennison wrote:
> I have some database files I created in this format. (.wdb)  What can I use to open these files in Open Office so that I can edit them?
>
>     Bob D...

[Bob ([hidden email]) is not subscribed and probably will not see responses unless directly copied.]

OOo Base doesn't have a direct import from Works (or Access, for that matter). If you have access to
Works, look to see how it can save or export its data; the most likely possibility for a common
format is .csv, which can be used in either Base or Calc, depending on whether you need a true
database or not.

RE: Microsoft Works v4.5

Bob,
If you don't have MS Works any longer, I can possibly try to copy the sucker over for you.

Barb,
May I ask why OOo can't import files from MS Access?  One of the things that appeared to be a "selling" point of OOo is its compatibility with MS Office.
I've always looked for a means to import files from MS Publisher.  Is it because there is no interest in the project?  Microsoft makes it too difficult to emulate the file format? Or are there legal aspects as well?

-Sean

On 12/16/2010 5:13 PM, Bob Dennison wrote:
> I have some database files I created in this format. (.wdb)  What can I use to open these files in Open Office so that I can edit them?
>
>     Bob D...

[Bob ([hidden email]) is not subscribed and probably will not see responses unless directly copied.]

OOo Base doesn't have a direct import from Works (or Access, for that matter). If you have access to Works, look to see how it can save or export its data; the most likely possibility for a common format is .csv, which can be used in either Base or Calc, depending on whether you need a true database or not.

Re: Microsoft Works v4.5

Tony Pursell
On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 17:24 -0600, Barbara Duprey wrote:

> On 12/16/2010 5:13 PM, Bob Dennison wrote:
> > I have some database files I created in this format. (.wdb)  What can I use to open these files in Open Office so that I can edit them?
> >
> >     Bob D...
>
> [Bob ([hidden email]) is not subscribed and probably will not see responses unless directly copied.]
>
> OOo Base doesn't have a direct import from Works (or Access, for that matter). If you have access to
> Works, look to see how it can save or export its data; the most likely possibility for a common
> format is .csv, which can be used in either Base or Calc, depending on whether you need a true
> database or not.

I can confirm that the version of Works that I have will save the
database (which is only a single flat file) in .csv format. So if you
can do that, you have two options

1. Open the .csv file in OpenOffice.org spreadsheet (Calc), save it
in .ods format, then register that as your data source (this is fine for
labels & mail merge, for instance)

2. Open the .csv file in OpenOffice,org spreadsheet (Calc), create a new
OpenOffice.org database (Base) and copy and paste the data into the
database.

If you need any help doing this, may I suggest that you join the
[hidden email] mailing list or go to the online forums at

and ask there, as this is a discussion list and not the best place to
get help and advice.

Tony

RE: Microsoft Works v4.5

Tony Pursell
I think it may be possible for Base to connect to an Access database
using ODBC but I'm not that technical.  However I do have a program
called MDB viewer on my Ubuntu system that will open and export Access
tables to .csv files that can be opened in OOo Calc and copied to Base.
Possibly, there are Windows programs that will do the same

Tony

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 18:44 -0500, Ugly Ƨǝɒɳ wrote:

> Bob,
> If you don't have MS Works any longer, I can possibly try to copy the sucker over for you.
>
> Barb,
> May I ask why OOo can't import files from MS Access?  One of the things that appeared to be a "selling" point of OOo is its compatibility with MS Office.
> I've always looked for a means to import files from MS Publisher.  Is it because there is no interest in the project?  Microsoft makes it too difficult to emulate the file format? Or are there legal aspects as well?
>
> -Sean

Zaphod Feeblejocks
Hi folks,

You might want to try LibreOffice - a fork of OpenOffice, with better Works import/export.
However, I'm pretty sure the LO filter concentrated on text/s'sheet files.

There's further discussion here - which doesn't mention LibO (or, Go-oo as it was then) as
an option:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18735

OOo Base will open Access files - create a DB in Base, link it to the .MDB file and you can
import the tables.

However, there's nothing (apart from Access) that will open Access queries/reports.  My own
organisation has a significant vendor lock-in area to sort out.  We have Access 97 stuff that
even Access 2003+ has no official support for.  We're using our transition to OOo as an
excuse to re-engineer in MySQL.

You might find this useful:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/quick-and-dirty-open-office-base

zf

On 19 Dec 2010 at 18:44, Ugly  wrote:

> Bob,
> If you don't have MS Works any longer, I can possibly try to copy the sucker over for you.
>
> Barb,
> May I ask why OOo can't import files from MS Access?  One of the things that appeared to be a "selling" point of OOo is its compatibility with MS Office.
> I've always looked for a means to import files from MS Publisher.  Is it because there is no interest in the project?  Microsoft makes it too difficult to emulate the file format? Or are there legal aspects as well?
>
> -Sean

Gordon Burgess-Parker-2
On 19/12/10 23:44, Ugly Ƨǝɒɳ wrote:
> I've always looked for a means to import files from MS Publisher.  I

Publisher is the bane of many peoples' lives. It's not compatible with
ANYTHING other than Publisher! There's nothing in MS Office that will
open pub files either, except err Publisher!
Most of the versions of MS Office that are used in commerce do NOT have
Publisher (mainly because there are better programs out there) but
apparently they still teach Publisher in UK schools! Horrible!

Re: Microsoft Works v4.5

Zaphod Feeblejocks
On 20 Dec 2010 at 18:47, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> On 19/12/10 23:44, Ugly  wrote:
> > I've always looked for a means to import files from MS Publisher.  I
>
> Publisher is the bane of many peoples' lives. It's not compatible with
> ANYTHING other than Publisher! There's nothing in MS Office that will
> open pub files either, except err Publisher!
> Most of the versions of MS Office that are used in commerce do NOT have
> Publisher (mainly because there are better programs out there) but
> apparently they still teach Publisher in UK schools! Horrible!

Still used in UK schools because 'the system' dictates it, I'm afraid...

WordPerfect Office handles .PUB IIRC.

zf

Re: Microsoft Works v4.5

Barbara Duprey
On 12/19/2010 5:44 PM, Ugly Ƨǝɒɳ wrote:
> Bob,
> If you don't have MS Works any longer, I can possibly try to copy the sucker over for you.
>
> Barb,
> May I ask why OOo can't import files from MS Access?  One of the things that appeared to be a "selling" point of OOo is its compatibility with MS Office.
> I've always looked for a means to import files from MS Publisher.  Is it because there is no interest in the project?  Microsoft makes it too difficult to emulate the file format? Or are there legal aspects as well?

As I understand it, the basic models for how things are constructed are very different, and the
proprietary nature of the formats also causes problems. Also, I believe the developer team for Base
has always been much smaller than the others, probably because the general user is much more likely
to try to fit his needs to spreadsheet capabilities than to use a true database. Finally, it is
regarded as being primarily a "front end" for a database engine like MySQL, rather than an
independent database. Most of the heavy database users just go directly into SQL whenever things get
complex, so there are no GUI capabilities for things like update queries. This may change in
LibreOffice, we'll see.

On 12/20/2010 12:42 PM, Tony Pursell wrote:
> I think it may be possible for Base to connect to an Access database
> using ODBC but I'm not that technical.  However I do have a program
> called MDB viewer on my Ubuntu system that will open and export Access
> tables to .csv files that can be opened in OOo Calc and copied to Base.
> Possibly, there are Windows programs that will do the same
>
> Tony

Base can connect to an Access database and use its tables (read/write), or the tables can be copied
into a new Base database (no need to go through Calc). What's missing is all the stuff like queries,
reports, and so on -- those don't work across the filetypes.

> On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 18:44 -0500, Ugly Ƨǝɒɳ wrote:
>> Bob,
>> If you don't have MS Works any longer, I can possibly try to copy the sucker over for you.
>>
>> Barb,
>> May I ask why OOo can't import files from MS Access?  One of the things that appeared to be a "selling" point of OOo is its compatibility with MS Office.
>> I've always looked for a means to import files from MS Publisher.  Is it because there is no interest in the project?  Microsoft makes it too difficult to emulate the file format? Or are there legal aspects as well?
>>
>> -Sean

Andreas Säger
Am 20.12.2010 12:14, Tony Pursell wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 17:24 -0600, Barbara Duprey wrote:
>> On 12/16/2010 5:13 PM, Bob Dennison wrote:
>>> I have some database files I created in this format. (.wdb)  What can I use to open these files in Open Office so that I can edit them?
>>>
>>>      Bob D...
>>
>> [Bob ([hidden email]) is not subscribed and probably will not see responses unless directly copied.]
>>
>> OOo Base doesn't have a direct import from Works (or Access, for that matter). If you have access to
>> Works, look to see how it can save or export its data; the most likely possibility for a common
>> format is .csv, which can be used in either Base or Calc, depending on whether you need a true
>> database or not.

> I can confirm that the version of Works that I have will save the
> database (which is only a single flat file) in .csv format. So if you
> can do that, you have two options
>
> 1. Open the .csv file in OpenOffice.org spreadsheet (Calc), save it
> in .ods format, then register that as your data source (this is fine for
> labels&  mail merge, for instance)
>
> 2. Open the .csv file in OpenOffice,org spreadsheet (Calc), create a new
> OpenOffice.org database (Base) and copy and paste the data into the
> database.

3. Collect the csv tables in a separate directory and connect a Base
document to that directory. Now you can read the table data into office
doucments for mail merge or Calc models.
5. Create a native Base database and use the underlying HSQLDB engine to
prepare a set of text tables which then can be populated with the csv
content. This makes the csv files directly accessible and editable.

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=23260
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=23727

I hope this helps,
Andreas

Re: Microsoft Works v4.5

Zaphod Feeblejocks
On 20 Dec 2010 at 14:47, Barbara Duprey wrote:

> On 12/19/2010 5:44 PM, Ugly  wrote:
> > Bob,
> > If you don't have MS Works any longer, I can possibly try to copy the sucker over for you.
> >
> > Barb,
> > May I ask why OOo can't import files from MS Access?  One of the things that appeared to be a "selling" point of OOo is its compatibility with MS Office.
> > I've always looked for a means to import files from MS Publisher.  Is it because there is no interest in the project?  Microsoft makes it too difficult to emulate the file format? Or are there legal aspects as well?
>
> As I understand it, the basic models for how things are constructed are very different, and the
> proprietary nature of the formats also causes problems. Also, I believe the developer team for Base

I echo Barb's comments re the proprietary formats.

IIRC, a number of OS developers have, over the years, started work on a .PUB
viewer/converter and found the file format mired in patents, as well as being very difficult to
preserve layout.  If you simply want to get your data out, there are a number of on-line
conversion tools (Google for ".PUB conversion") that will give you a choice of several output
formats.

As for Base - I know one organisation that contributes to OOo/LibO and that has interests in
sorting out Base's Access import.  The concensus seems to be that re-engineering in
MySQL is the preferred route.  I don't know if this is for technical reasons relating to .MDB
or a desire to redo a number of hacked-together projects in a maintainable fashion.

zf