Microsoft payment demand

Stuart Walton
Since I updated the version of Windows 10 I was using on my PC, I find I am no longer able to access my Open Office .odt douments without getting a big dialog box from Microsoft demanding payment. None of my files is saved in Word, but it won’t let me access them even so. I have saved everything on to a USB device, but it won’t let me access them there either. I tried copying the existing files into new .odt files and it won’t let me do that either.

How come Microsoft is taking over an entirely separate free word-processing system? And is there anything I can do to get around it without paying Microsoft for their system, which I don’t want?

Re: Microsoft payment demand

jhivacaville-2
I tend to agree.  I am having problems with this program that has been continuously updated from the original purchase of several years ago.  It mused to be a very good and workable program.  I am considering looking elsewhere for a replacement.  Most venders are in business to SDELL new programs without servicing them as time goes along!

Since I updated the version of Windows 10 I was using on my PC, I find I am no longer able to access my Open Office .odt douments without getting a big dialog box from Microsoft demanding payment. None of my files is saved in Word, but it won’t let me access them even so. I have saved everything on to a USB device, but it won’t let me access them there either. I tried copying the existing files into new .odt files and it won’t let me do that either.

How come Microsoft is taking over an entirely separate free word-processing system? And is there anything I can do to get around it without paying Microsoft for their system, which I don’t want?

Re: Microsoft payment demand

Wade Smart-2
Depending payment for OO or for the OS?
My wifes W10 laptop has LO installed and
we have not seen that dialog box.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 8:57 AM Stuart Walton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since I updated the version of Windows 10 I was using on my PC, I find I am no longer able to access my Open Office .odt douments without getting a big dialog box from Microsoft demanding payment. None of my files is saved in Word, but it won’t let me access them even so. I have saved everything on to a USB device, but it won’t let me access them there either. I tried copying the existing files into new .odt files and it won’t let me do that either.
>
> How come Microsoft is taking over an entirely separate free word-processing system? And is there anything I can do to get around it without paying Microsoft for their system, which I don’t want?

Re: Microsoft payment demand

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 8 Mar 2020 13:52:49 +0000
Stuart Walton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since I updated the version of Windows 10 I was using on my PC, I find I am no longer able to access my Open Office .odt douments without getting a big dialog box from Microsoft demanding payment. None of my files is saved in Word, but it won’t let me access them even so. I have saved everything on to a USB device, but it won’t let me access them there either. I tried copying the existing files into new .odt files and it won’t let me do that either.
>
> How come Microsoft is taking over an entirely separate free word-processing system? And is there anything I can do to get around it without paying Microsoft for their system, which I don’t want?

I work on Xubuntu, not any modern version of Windows, so take my advice in that light.

I think the Windows 10 updates have changed the default programs for Microsoft formats (.doc, .docx, xls, .xlsx etc) back to the trial Microsoft Office supplied with Windows 10.  This trial version is now out of time, hence the "purchase" mag screen.

How to fix?  If what I surmise above is true, reset the File Associations for affected files so they open with OpenOffice.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Microsoft payment demand

Stuart Walton
Thanks, guys. I appear to have solved it by simply downloading Open Office again. My documents have now reverted to normal editable format.

SW

________________________________
> Since I updated the version of Windows 10 I was using on my PC, I find I am no longer able to access my Open Office .odt douments without getting a big dialog box from Microsoft demanding payment. None of my files is saved in Word, but it won’t let me access them even so. I have saved everything on to a USB device, but it won’t let me access them there either. I tried copying the existing files into new .odt files and it won’t let me do that either.
>
> How come Microsoft is taking over an entirely separate free word-processing system? And is there anything I can do to get around it without paying Microsoft for their system, which I don’t want?

I work on Xubuntu, not any modern version of Windows, so take my advice in that light.

I think the Windows 10 updates have changed the default programs for Microsoft formats (.doc, .docx, xls, .xlsx etc) back to the trial Microsoft Office supplied with Windows 10.  This trial version is now out of time, hence the "purchase" mag screen.

How to fix?  If what I surmise above is true, reset the File Associations for affected files so they open with OpenOffice.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>  Virus-free. www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>

Re: Microsoft payment demand

Andrew Pitonyak
Microsoft word is probably associated with OpenOffice documents so when he double clicked on one the automatic association probably tried to load a Microsoft product.

It is a simple matter to reassociate the file types. I'm not a strong Windows user so I won't even try to provide instruction on how to do that, but a quick Google search and show you how to reassociate the file types.

Also, you should be able to manually load your word processor and then use file open to open the document

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

On Mar 8, 2020, 10:39 AM, at 10:39 AM, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Depending payment for OO or for the OS?
>My wifes W10 laptop has LO installed and
>we have not seen that dialog box.
>

>--
>Registered Linux User: #480675
>Registered Linux Machine: #408606
>Linux since June 2005
>
>On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 8:57 AM Stuart Walton
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Since I updated the version of Windows 10 I was using on my PC, I
>find I am no longer able to access my Open Office .odt douments without
>getting a big dialog box from Microsoft demanding payment. None of my
>files is saved in Word, but it won’t let me access them even so. I have
>saved everything on to a USB device, but it won’t let me access them
>there either. I tried copying the existing files into new .odt files
>and it won’t let me do that either.
>>
>> How come Microsoft is taking over an entirely separate free
>word-processing system? And is there anything I can do to get around it
>without paying Microsoft for their system, which I don’t want?
>>
>> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
>Windows 10

Re: Microsoft payment demand

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 8 Mar 2020 14:54:51 +0000
Stuart Walton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, guys. I appear to have solved it by simply downloading Open Office again. My documents have now reverted to normal editable format.
>
> SW

That will have reset your File Attribute settings to point to OpenOffice.