Microsoft works files

Sandy M
Good morning

I recently downloaded open office to my new Windows 10 PC.  I saved my Microsoft works spreadsheets and word documents. Can I load them to my new PC and open office will automatically open them?  If not is there a tutorial on how to effectively use the spreadsheet in open office.

Thank you.

Sandy M.

Sent from my iPad

Re: Microsoft works files

Steven Ahlers
Sandy,

If you still have access to MS Works you can open the files in Works and then export them in MS Office (Word, Excel) format and then import them into Apache OpenOffice. Spreadsheets can also be exported in CSV format and then imported.

If you don’t have access to MS Works you can utilize online file converters.

https://www.zamzar.com/
Is a free service that works well.

Any conversions can result in formatting errors so careful proofing is advisable.

If you have any further questions please contact:

[hidden email]
so that all users can provide assistance.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Microsoft works files

Keith N. McKenna
On 10/9/2019 2:07 PM, Steven Ahlers wrote:

> Sandy,
>
> If you still have access to MS Works you can open the files in Works and then export them in MS Office (Word, Excel) format and then import them into Apache OpenOffice. Spreadsheets can also be exported in CSV format and then imported.
>
> If you don’t have access to MS Works you can utilize online file converters.
>
> https://www.zamzar.com/
> Is a free service that works well.
>
> Any conversions can result in formatting errors so careful proofing is advisable.
>
> If you have any further questions please contact:
>
> [hidden email]
> so that all users can provide assistance.
>
> Steve
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Oct 9, 2019, at 9:45 AM, Sandy M <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sandy;

Along with Steve's excellent advice about converting them; at least for
the spreadsheet files it will depend on the version of Works that you
had. Later versions of Microsoft Works saved spreadsheets in a modified
Excel (.xls) format with the extension of I believe .xlr. If the
spreadsheets have that extension then AOO should open them with no
problem. If they are in the old format and for the Word Processing
documents I am afraid Steve's advice is the best that can be given.

As you have not subscribed to the mailing list I have cc'd you as a
courtesy. Please respond only to mailto:[hidden email].

Regards
Keith N. McKenna