Minor thesaurus problem with antonyms

thomas.lange

Hi all,

Currently I'm implementing thesaurus entry (i.e. synonym list sub menu,
see issue 51258) in right click context menu and stumbled upon a minor
issue that I can't solve. Basically everything is already as it should
be apart from this:

If a click on 'white' then 'black' is listed among the synonyms.
That is, if the antonym is found early in the list of synonyms it will
be displayed as well. This happens because the first entry for 'light'
in the thesaurus dictionary looks like this:

(adj)|albescent (similar term)|light (related term)|light-colored
(related term)|black (antonym)

since the explanation within in the parenthesis are all language
depended, or more precisely dictionary dependend, I'm missing a working
way to properly identify the antonym.
Thus it seems this problem can't be fixed unless I get a complete list
for the strings used for antonyms in each language where a thesaurus is
available. And even that is a solution I do not particularly favor since
it is likely to break sooner or later either because of new introduced
languages or typos in the dictionary.

Does anybody have other ideas to solve this?

If not, it seems about the only thing we can do is to remember that a
future thesaurus format (and maybe an extended API) need to take care of
the problem by allowing for language independent identification of the
antonyms.

Regards,
Thomas

Re: Minor thesaurus problem with antonyms

Németh László-2
Hi,

I have checked this feature in MS Office 2007. It suggests only the
first 8 synonyms without any logic, for example, all synonyms from the
first synset (with an antynom) and a few synonyms from the second one.

The problem is the huge Wordnet database of OpenOffice.org English
thesaurus. I think, the best solution to remove all synsets and
synonyms with parenthesized category names, and keeping the first 8
synonyms, like MS Office.

Regards,
László