Multiple issues with Calc and JDBC-Oracle queries to large tables

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Multiple issues with Calc and JDBC-Oracle queries to large tables

Alexander W. Janssen
Good evening,

I hope I'm in the right spot here, I was directed to this mailing-list
by Mechthilde Stehmann.

I'm using OO 3.3 RC6 on OSX Snow Leopard to connect to an Oracle 11gR2
database using the latest Oracle JDBC driver. RC6 because 3.2.1 still
has this issue with Java ever since Apple changed the Java
infrastructure.

I have problems accessing large tables, via F4 - data sources in Calc
- and via the Data Pilot in Calc as well.
Accessing a few thousand rows works just fine, however, I got one
table with about 1.2 mio. rows at 11 columns.

Accessing those using the Data Pilot - and loading the whole table
instead of applying a SQL-query - results either in a crash - or,
sometimes, after waiting for about half an hour - an empty spreadsheet
and a non-functional GUI. That means, the menu still works - i can
click on any menu-item, but nothing happens. Calc is pretty much dead
at this point, only killing it helps.

Accessing it through F4 - data sources - works ok, until I hit the "go
to last row" button - the one which looks like >| . In that case Calc
will hang for a while, then force it's screen to the Desktop's
forground, accepting a single click without doing nothing, just to
freeze again for about 30 seconds. However, it won't advance to the
next row in the data view or even jump down to the last row as
requested. When it freezes, it utilizes a full core, but not so much
memory. I didn't observe any significant network-traffic at this
point.

I'm accessing the Oracle instance over the network and though it's a
gigabit-network I haven't seen Calc utilize more than about 200 kb/s -
slowly degrading to 0. That's the point where it crashes.

OK, I'm not sure if Calc was made for my certain usecase or for that
much data at all - but I thought I'll give you a hint that issues
exists. Unfortunately Calc never asked to send an online bug-report,
it was only OSX itself which is sending out crash-reports - to Apple,
which is probably of no use for you.

So, what should I be supplying for a bug report? And against what
stream should I write a report?

If anyone want's to give it a try, I can arrange for access to this
very database (with some restrictions, contact me off-list for
details).

Thanks a lot in advance,
Cheers, Alex.

P.S.: Just seconds ago i was pointed to 3.3 RC7. I will give it a try.

--
"We Do What We Must Because We Can"
 -- Aperture Science

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple issues with Calc and JDBC-Oracle queries to large tables

Frank Schönheit
Hello Alexander,

> Accessing a few thousand rows works just fine, however, I got one
> table with about 1.2 mio. rows at 11 columns.
> ...
> OK, I'm not sure if Calc was made for my certain usecase or for that
> much data at all - but I thought I'll give you a hint that issues
> exists.

Honestly, accessing 1.2 mio. rows is ... stretching Base's limits. I am
not surprised at all OOo doesn't handle this - I don't think our code
base is prepared for that stunning amount of data.

> So, what should I be supplying for a bug report? And against what
> stream should I write a report?

You might want to submit a report at
http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html. Though the
reality is that allowing OOo to cope with that kind of data might
require a major overhaul, which will not be done without a pressing need
- which makes it rather unlikely that the problem will be fixed in a
foreseeable future.

Ciao
Frank

--
ORACLE
Frank Schönheit | Software Engineer | [hidden email]
Oracle Office Productivity: http://www.oracle.com/office

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple issues with Calc and JDBC-Oracle queries to large tables

Alexander W. Janssen
2010/12/1 Frank Schönheit <[hidden email]>:
> Hello Alexander,

Good evening!

First, thanks to everyone to offer your help. I was quite busy lately,
but I also got the chance to test out a few things. First, RC7 showed
the same results on both, OSX and Linux. I also tested an older
version (I forgot which, some 3.1.x, the one which is currently
shipped with CentOS 5.5) - with the same results.

>> Accessing a few thousand rows works just fine, however, I got one
>> table with about 1.2 mio. rows at 11 columns.
>> ...
>> OK, I'm not sure if Calc was made for my certain usecase or for that
>> much data at all - but I thought I'll give you a hint that issues
>> exists.
>
> Honestly, accessing 1.2 mio. rows is ... stretching Base's limits. I am
> not surprised at all OOo doesn't handle this - I don't think our code
> base is prepared for that stunning amount of data.

I already thought so; I just helped myself and did the right thing;
aggregating and limiting the data using a query and then calling the
query from OOo Calc. I should've done that in the first place, but I
was in a rush of banging out a few quick diagrams.
To be honest, I was about to abuse Calc for a task it wasn't made for
- I'm currently reverse-engineering a rather bitchy DB-schema and I
just needed a data-viewer which was also able to create some diagrams
rather quickly.

>> So, what should I be supplying for a bug report? And against what
>> stream should I write a report?
>
> You might want to submit a report at
> http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html. Though the
> reality is that allowing OOo to cope with that kind of data might
> require a major overhaul, which will not be done without a pressing need
> - which makes it rather unlikely that the problem will be fixed in a
> foreseeable future.

Yeah, you're probably right. But thanks a lot for the help!

> Ciao
> Frank

Cheers, Alex.


--
"We Do What We Must Because We Can"
 -- Aperture Science

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Multiple issues with Calc and JDBC-Oracle queries to large tables

Ocke Janssen-2
Hi Alexander,

On 01.12.2010 21:10, Alexander W. Janssen wrote:
>
> I already thought so; I just helped myself and did the right thing;
> aggregating and limiting the data using a query and then calling the
> query from OOo Calc. I should've done that in the first place, but I
> was in a rush of banging out a few quick diagrams.
> To be honest, I was about to abuse Calc for a task it wasn't made for
> - I'm currently reverse-engineering a rather bitchy DB-schema and I
> just needed a data-viewer which was also able to create some diagrams
> rather quickly.
Do you know the Relation designer in Base? You'll find it under
Tools->Relationships

- oj
>
> Cheers, Alex.
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]