Music staves in Presenter

Keith Bainbridge
G'day Folk,

I am looking for clues on how to put Music Staves into slides in Presenter, please.

I thought of the GIMP, but it's help file doesn't show a search facility, and I don't know which item in the index I need.

Thanks

--
Keith Bainbridge
PO Box 324

Re: Music staves in Presenter

Richard Detwiler

I would suggest using the draw functions within OOo. Pick the line tool,  and
then hold down the shift key while you're drawing the line to constrain the
line to being perfectly horizontal. When you have one line drawn, copy and
paste  it repeatedly to eventually get 5 lines in place.

In a message dated 11/22/2005 8:23:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

G'day  Folk,

I am looking for clues on how to put Music Staves into slides in  Presenter,
please.

I thought of the GIMP, but it's help file doesn't  show a search facility,
and I don't know which item in the index I  need.

Thanks

--
Keith Bainbridge
PO Box  324
BELMONT   Vic   3216   OZ
+61(0)3-5241-1881

For additional  commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Music staves in Presenter

Keith Bainbridge
G'day RLShadow,

Thanks.

'draw' didn't allow saving in a format tha presenter could import

BUT the concept of drawing lines on the presenter slide has worked fine.

Now, please -  how do I add the notes?  (I found an image of the fancy bit at the start of the lines - treble clef - but all the images have backgrounds which white out the lines when I add them to the slide.)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:30:37 EST [hidden email] wrote:

> I would suggest using the draw functions within OOo. Pick the line tool,  and
> then hold down the shift key while you're drawing the line to constrain the
> line to being perfectly horizontal. When you have one line drawn, copy and
> paste  it repeatedly to eventually get 5 lines in place.
>
> In a message dated 11/22/2005 8:23:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>
> G'day  Folk,
>
> I am looking for clues on how to put Music Staves into slides in  Presenter,
> please.
>
> I thought of the GIMP, but it's help file doesn't  show a search facility,
> and I don't know which item in the index I  need.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Keith Bainbridge
> PO Box  324
> BELMONT   Vic   3216   OZ
> +61(0)3-5241-1881

> For additional  commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

--
Keith Bainbridge
PO Box 324
BELMONT   Vic   3216  OZ
+61(0)3-5241-1881

Re: Music staves in Presenter

Chris BONDE
Can you not use a picture format of the stave or staff that you want and insert that?
There are many cliparts on the web depicting many types of staffs.

Chris

> I would suggest using the draw functions within OOo. Pick the line
> tool,  and then hold down the shift key while you're drawing the line
> to constrain the  line to being perfectly horizontal. When you have
> one line drawn, copy and paste  it repeatedly to eventually get 5
> lines in place.
>
> In a message dated 11/22/2005 8:23:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>
> G'day  Folk,
>
> I am looking for clues on how to put Music Staves into slides in
> Presenter, please.
>
> I thought of the GIMP, but it's help file doesn't  show a search
> facility, and I don't know which item in the index I  need.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Keith Bainbridge
> PO Box  324
> BELMONT   Vic   3216   OZ
> +61(0)3-5241-1881

> additional  commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Music staves in Presenter

Adrian Snyman
On Tuesday 22 November 2005 15:09, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> G'day Folk,
>
> I am looking for clues on how to put Music Staves into slides in Presenter, please.
>
> I thought of the GIMP, but it's help file doesn't show a search facility, and I don't know which item in the index I need.
>
> Thanks

Are you simply wanting to generate Music ? or are you wanting to add other things as well ?
You could look at:
Lilypond and a gui frontend like rosegarden ....
Unfortunately, whereas lilypond has a windows binary, rosegarden does not ...

Adrian Snyman
Tel: (083)647-5299
JabberID: [hidden email]

/*
Disclaimer - These opiini^H^H damn! ^H^H ^Q ^[ .. :w :q :wq :wq! ^d X^? exit X
Q ^C ^c ^? :quitbye CtrlAltDel ~~q :~q logout save/quit :!QUIT ^[zz ^[ZZZZZZ
^H man vi ^@ ^L ^[c ^# ^E ^X ^I ^T ? help helpquit ^D ^d man help ^C
exit ?Quit ?q CtrlShftDel "Hey, what does this button d..."
*/
==================
The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of the author and not those of Supply Chain Services or its management.  The  information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information and data transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no liability or responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or data is, for whatever reason, corrupted or does not reach its intended destination.

Re: Music staves in Presenter

Randomthots
Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> G'day RLShadow,
>
> Thanks.
>
> 'draw' didn't allow saving in a format tha presenter could import
>

> BUT the concept of drawing lines on the presenter slide has worked fine.
>
> Now, please -  how do I add the notes?  (I found an image of the fancy bit at the start of the lines - treble clef - but all the images have backgrounds which white out the lines when I add them to the slide.)

Why don't you look for an appropriate font? A quick google search
revealed: http://jeff.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/music.html which has links to a
number of fonts for this purpose.

--

Rod

Re: Music staves in Presenter

Keith Bainbridge
G'day Adrian,

Thanks, but for the couple of times I plan to use this process a new program is beyond me.

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:37:04 +0200 Adrian Snyman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 November 2005 15:09, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> > G'day Folk,
> >
> > I am looking for clues on how to put Music Staves into slides in Presenter, please.
> >
> > I thought of the GIMP, but it's help file doesn't show a search facility, and I don't know which item in the index I need.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Are you simply wanting to generate Music ? or are you wanting to add other things as well ?
> You could look at:
> Lilypond and a gui frontend like rosegarden ....
> Unfortunately, whereas lilypond has a windows binary, rosegarden does not ...

> Adrian Snyman
> Tel: (083)647-5299
> JabberID: [hidden email]
>
> /*
> Disclaimer - These opiini^H^H damn! ^H^H ^Q ^[ .. :w :q :wq :wq! ^d X^? exit X
> Q ^C ^c ^? :quitbye CtrlAltDel ~~q :~q logout save/quit :!QUIT ^[zz ^[ZZZZZZ
> ^H man vi ^@ ^L ^[c ^# ^E ^X ^I ^T ? help helpquit ^D ^d man help ^C
> exit ?Quit ?q CtrlShftDel "Hey, what does this button d..."
> */
> ==================
> The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of the author and not those of Supply Chain Services or its management.  The  information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
> If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information and data transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no liability or responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or data is, for whatever reason, corrupted or does not reach its intended destination.

Keith Bainbridge
PO Box 324
BELMONT   Vic   3216  OZ
+61(0)3-5241-1881

Re: Re: Music staves in Presenter

Keith Bainbridge
G'day Randomthots,

Thanks

What was your search question?

I tried for 'music staves' and 'treble clef' and didn't find anything helpful.

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:12:59 -0600 Randomthots <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Keith Bainbridge wrote:
>
> > G'day RLShadow,
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > 'draw' didn't allow saving in a format tha presenter could import
> >

> > BUT the concept of drawing lines on the presenter slide has worked fine.
> >
> > Now, please -  how do I add the notes?  (I found an image of the fancy bit at the start of the lines - treble clef - but all the images have backgrounds which white out the lines when I add them to the slide.)
> >

> Why don't you look for an appropriate font? A quick google search
> revealed: http://jeff.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/music.html which has links to a
> number of fonts for this purpose.
>
> --
>
> Rod

Keith Bainbridge
PO Box 324
BELMONT   Vic   3216  OZ
+61(0)3-5241-1881

Re: Music staves in Presenter

Keith Bainbridge
G'day Chris,

Yes there are many images. But every one I tried had a white back ground the hid the staff lines, so wasn't very clear to look at.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:26:08 -0800 "Chris BONDE" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you not use a picture format of the stave or staff that you want and insert that?
> There are many cliparts on the web depicting many types of staffs.
>
> Chris
>

> > I would suggest using the draw functions within OOo. Pick the line
> > tool,  and then hold down the shift key while you're drawing the line
> > to constrain the  line to being perfectly horizontal. When you have
> > one line drawn, copy and paste  it repeatedly to eventually get 5
> > lines in place.
> >
> > In a message dated 11/22/2005 8:23:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> > [hidden email] writes:
> >
> > G'day  Folk,
> >
> > I am looking for clues on how to put Music Staves into slides in
> > Presenter, please.
> >
> > I thought of the GIMP, but it's help file doesn't  show a search
> > facility, and I don't know which item in the index I  need.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Keith Bainbridge
> > PO Box  324
> > BELMONT   Vic   3216   OZ
> > +61(0)3-5241-1881
> > [hidden email]
> > [hidden email]

> > additional  commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Keith Bainbridge
PO Box 324
BELMONT   Vic   3216  OZ
+61(0)3-5241-1881

Re: Re: Music staves in Presenter

G. Roderick Singleton-2
On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 23:31 +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> G'day Randomthots,
>

> Thanks
>
> What was your search question?
>
> I tried for 'music staves' and 'treble clef' and didn't find anything helpful.

A week ago I posted the following:

> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 12:07 +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> > G'day Folk,
> >
> > I am looking for clues on how to put Music Staves into slides in
> Presenter, please.
> >
> > I thought of the GIMP, but it's help file doesn't show a search
> facility, and I don't know which item in the index I need.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Try http://fr.openoffice.org/Documentation/Gallery/Divers/musique.sxd
> for this.

Hopefully this is some use although I think trying to use OOo as a music
formatter is better left to other tools such as lilypond and its ilk.
Nonetheless this gallery does have the graphics that you could use.

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:12:59 -0600 Randomthots <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> >
> > > G'day RLShadow,
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > 'draw' didn't allow saving in a format tha presenter could import
> > >

> > > BUT the concept of drawing lines on the presenter slide has worked fine.
> > >
> > > Now, please -  how do I add the notes?  (I found an image of the fancy bit at the start of the lines - treble clef - but all the images have backgrounds which white out the lines when I add them to the slide.)
> > >

> > Why don't you look for an appropriate font? A quick google search
> > revealed: http://jeff.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/music.html which has links to a
> > number of fonts for this purpose.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Rod

PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Re: Re: Music staves in Presenter

Andrew Fisk
Adobe has a font called sonata (for $29.00) -- which would let you
type the notes -- I would guess that,  with a little googling, that
you could find an Open Source version -- unfortunately looking for
typefaces is like looking for clip art and you have to wade through a
bunch of junk to find what you are looking for.

Andy
Spitfire Computer Services
441 Beaver Street
Suite 202
Sewickley, PA 15143
Phone (412) 749-0162
Fax: (412) 749-0203
[hidden email]
www.spitcomp.com

On Dec 4, 2005, at 7:31 AM, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> G'day Randomthots,
>

> Thanks
>
> What was your search question?
>
> I tried for 'music staves' and 'treble clef' and didn't find
> anything helpful.
>

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:12:59 -0600 Randomthots
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Keith Bainbridge wrote:
>>
>>> G'day RLShadow,
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> 'draw' didn't allow saving in a format tha presenter could import
>>>

>>> BUT the concept of drawing lines on the presenter slide has
>>> worked fine.
>>>
>>> Now, please -  how do I add the notes?  (I found an image of the
>>> fancy bit at the start of the lines - treble clef - but all the
>>> images have backgrounds which white out the lines when I add them
>>> to the slide.)
>>>

>> Why don't you look for an appropriate font? A quick google search
>> revealed: http://jeff.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/music.html which has links
>> to a
>> number of fonts for this purpose.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rod

> Keith Bainbridge
> PO Box 324
> BELMONT   Vic   3216  OZ
> +61(0)3-5241-1881

Re: Music staves in Presenter

mike scott-2
On 4 Dec 2005 at 23:33, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> G'day Chris,
>
> Yes there are many images. But every one I tried had a white back ground the hid the staff lines, so wasn't very clear to look at.
>

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:26:08 -0800 "Chris BONDE" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Can you not use a picture format of the stave or staff that you want and insert that?
> > There are many cliparts on the web depicting many types of staffs.

You could perhaps set the background colour to transparent before use?
gif and (iirc) png graphics formats support this, probably others too.

--
various incoming sites blocked because of spam; see
http://www.scottsonline.org.uk for a list and openpgp crypto key

Re: Music staves in Presenter

Keith Bainbridge
G'day Mike,