My computer restarted and I lost important document

My computer restarted and I lost important document

Kate Ponomarenko

Hi. I really need your help. I was working in Open Office and didn’t save the document. My computer restarted and now I can’s restore the information. I use iMac. It didn’t show any error message.
What can I do in this situation? I tried to find your phone number but no luck.
Please contact me +1 917 826 9998.

Thank you
Kateryna

Re: My computer restarted and I lost important document

Howard Blum
Not saving the document and not having the auto save function on likely
means it's impossible to recover the document.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as a 30+ year Mac user I can't
think of anything to help you.

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018, 3:31 PM Kate Ponomarenko <[hidden email]
wrote:

> Hi. I really need your help. I was working in Open Office and didn’t save
> the document. My computer restarted and now I can’s restore the
> information. I use iMac. It didn’t show any error message.
> What can I do in this situation? I tried to find your phone number but no
> luck.
> Please contact me +1 917 826 9998.
>
> Thank you
> Kateryna

Re: My computer restarted and I lost important document

Martin Groenescheij

> On 21 Dec 2018, at 10:18, Kate Ponomarenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi. I really need your help. I was working in Open Office and didn’t save the document. My computer restarted and now I can’s restore the information. I use iMac. It didn’t show any error message.

When your system shut down or restart OpenOffice doesn’t have time to display an error message neither it has the time to do save  your file and do the normal housekeeping.

> What can I do in this situation?

What you can do in this situation depend on what you have done before it has happened.
Hopefully you have set that OpenOffice should backup your files and do an auto recovery ever x minutes.
Go to Preferences -> Load/Save -> General to check your settings
If you have selected to make backups you find the location of the backups in Preferences -> OpenOffice -> Paths

> I tried to find your phone number but no luck.

There is no Phone to contact, support is given by volunteers via this mailing list.